Western Caribbean

CruiseFan3035

Hi all. We are looking into booking the Western Caribbean on the Valor. Ports of call are Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Mahogany Bay & Costa Maya. Wondering if anyone would care to share their experiences of this particular ship, or ports of call. We have never been to Costa Maya or Mahogany Bay nor have we been on the Valor so any info good, bad or indifferent is welcome.

PS - we are not new to cruising as this would be our 9th with Carnival but we always like to get opinions of others.

Thank you.

Me 😃

Hi all. We are looking into booking the Western Caribbean on the Valor. Ports of call are Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Mahogany Bay & Costa Maya. Wondering if anyone would care to share their experiences of this particular ship, or ports of call. We have never been to Costa Maya or Mahogany Bay nor have we been on the Valor so any info good, bad or indifferent is welcome.

PS - we are not new to cruising as this would be our 9th with Carnival but we always like to get opinions of others.

Thank you.

Me 😃

I have been on the Valor and really liked her! The decor is very patriotic and was commissioned soon after 911. As for the ports you may get better info on the ports of call forum. Happy Sailing!

I went to all those ports on the Dream two years ago. My favorite port was Costa Maya (they really don't stay there long enough). Get away from the port area, take a cab to the small town 5 minutes away (Mahahaul). We went to a place called Tropicante. Best time ever. Cheap beer, drinks and massages on the beach. We were three adults, two kids. We had 3 buckets of beer (6 beers per bucket), 4 non-alcoholic drinks for kids and a 30 minute massage, the bill was less than $90. Beach area was heaven.

I did enjoy EVERY port we went to. Went to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel, cave tubing in Belize (booked on our own) and Tabiana Beach in Roatan (Dream couldn't dock at Mahogany Bay). We would have done the ziplining near Mahogany bay if we had been able to dock there.

I would love to do that cruise all over again.

Mahogany bay is beautiful just go to the chair lift and hit the beach the little stores are fabulous also in Belize I did the snorkel of the barrier reef amazing highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another opinion to forget Mahogany Bay and instead go to Tabyana Beach. You can swim and snorkel right from the beach at Tabyana, it is much less crowded than Mahogany. Or you can try Little French Key or Maya Cay. These three are natural Caribbean beaches and not the manmade crushed limestone "sand" of Mahogany.

In the town of Marahuel, I got beachside 60 minute massage for $25. Or head to the small ruins, you have 2 sites to choose from. All better than the vendors market at the Costa Maya pier.

In Coz, you have several beach clubs like Nachi Cocum or the adjoining Senor Pancho's, or Passion Isle. There are plenty of active tours with ATV's, motorcycles, etc, and a pub crawl around the island. San Miguel isn't a bad place to shop if you venture inland a street or two. The local market is behind the town square which was being rebuilt in October.

In Belize many people swear by the cave tubing, but since it sits right on the Meso American reef, snorkeling or diving here is awesome.

As for the Valor, I've cruised her 6 times, the 7th will be upcoming this March. The décor is a bit garish, but I overlook that. There is an aft adult pool and hot tub area, and the staff always enforced the rule about no kids. I've also had very good cabin stewards, and the food is equivalent to any of the other Conquest class ships. The steakhouse is a must for at least one night.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I can help you out with Mahogany Bay but not Costa Maya since I haven't been there. As the poster above mentioned do not go to the man made beach right off the ship in Mahogany Bay instead try Tabyana Beach. Tabyana is a great place to snorkel and see colorful fish especially at the far left side of the beach. If you do decide to go to Tabyana grab a few pieces of bread from the ship and take it with you. Take it to the far left side of the island where all the fish are and you can feed them bread and watch them eat it. Tabyana also has decent food and drink at a reasonable price. Also, if you are into water sport activities go see Anita you will see her dancing on a paddleboard! She has a few activities for you at a reasonable price. I was not impressed with the Mahogany Bay beach or Little French Key! If you want the full beach experience go to Tabyana.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

I can help you out with Mahogany Bay but not Costa Maya since I haven't been there. As the poster above mentioned do not go to the man made beach right off the ship in Mahogany Bay instead try Tabyana Beach. Tabyana is a great place to snorkel and see colorful fish especially at the far left side of the beach. If you do decide to go to Tabyana grab a few pieces of bread from the ship and take it with you. Take it to the far left side of the island where all the fish are and you can feed them bread and watch them eat it. Tabyana also has decent food and drink at a reasonable price. Also, if you are into water sport activities go see Anita you will see her dancing on a paddleboard! She has a few activities for you at a reasonable price. I was not impressed with the Mahogany Bay beach or Little French Key! If you want the full beach experience go to Tabyana.

What is the best way to get to Tabyana? I went there before but was with a group of people who knew what they were doing. I was thinking we just got a cab/bus right outside in the port area. Is that what you suggest? also, do you just tell them what time to be back to pick you up?

We've done this itinerary 4 times. My favorites are Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, Victor Bodden in Roatan(he will take you anywhere you would like to go as far as beaches,etc.), Altun Ha in Belize, and Maya Chan in Costa Maya. Gives you different things to do daily so it's a nice mix of beach relaxation and "adventure". Enjoy!

We've done this itinerary 4 times. My favorites are Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, Victor Bodden in Roatan(he will take you anywhere you would like to go as far as beaches,etc.), Altun Ha in Belize, and Maya Chan in Costa Maya. Gives you different things to do daily so it's a nice mix of beach relaxation and "adventure". Enjoy!

I vote for Victor Bodden, his tour is the best and ill be the highlight of your cruise, we loved the monkees.

Nachi Cocum in cozumel

Zipline - beach break (tabayana) on roatan

Rendezvous cay snorkel on Belize

Those are the excursions we did, highly recommend all of the,. Three awesome days.

Costa Maya I wish we had done a ruins tour. We did an all inclusive beach break and drank way too much. I'd be sure not to do that again.

Really loved this itinerary.

What is the best way to get to Tabyana? I went there before but was with a group of people who knew what they were doing. I was thinking we just got a cab/bus right outside in the port area. Is that what you suggest? also, do you just tell them what time to be back to pick you up?

Actually, for $39, the Carnival excursion isn't bad for a single or couple. You get transportation and a lounger, plus a "beach guard", who watches your stuff while you swim or stroll about (yep, he deserves a few bucks tip too).

If you are a group or family, you can hire a cab to get a cheaper per person rate. You can make pre arrangements for a resort day pass at one of the other beach clubs or resorts. Or use one of the local tour guides as mentioned.

The Carnival excursion. It is 39.99 per person which is very reasonably priced. http://www.carnival.com/Activities/Excursion/518012. It is a bit of a long ride so the Taxi cost might be high.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

• 5 months later...

This is by far one of our favorite itineraries.

We simply love Roatan and have been multiple times. We're water people and love the experience, snorkeling, scuba, and dolphin encounters that are available at Anthony's Key. If you're looking for a really wonderful low-key dolphin experience this is the place. You take a short ride over to a sandy shore beach and walk into the water to meet a dolphin. There is also some great scuba diving off the end of the island.

Belize City can be nerve-racking for first timers. I suggest booking something through the cruise line. We've done Mayan ruins (which are surprisingly steep, but way worth the experience,) The Belize Zoo (more wildlife sanctary, and great for close-up--as you'd like to safely get--time with big cats, and Tapirs,) and cave-tubing. Please check the reviews, and make sure you use a well-known company if you go tubing. Some experience can be way less desirable than other.

If I could wander around for hours it would be in Cozumel. Though I do recommend setting an alarm and heading back to the ship about an hour early. The parade of pier-runners can be a bit enjoyable. I just don't wish to be one.

No matter what you decide I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Belize is the only tender port out of these three, correct?

Exactly, just one tender port, about a 15 to 20 minute ride. In 2003, my 1st visit to Belize, I was able to step off the Paradise onto a small speedboat which zoomed us to San Pedro and Shark Ray Alley. This avoided the tender all together.

Now, even to go to the closer Caulker Cay, the excursions leave from the port. I wish they could go back to direct transport, it saves time and gives you a longer stay at the excursion site. I think NCL and another line still do that in Belize.

I have sailed the Valor and the itinerary a few times. Loved the ship.

in Costa Maya go to Mahahual

never did Mahagony bay. I always go to west end village.

After visiting Belize I packed up and moved to San Pedro. But then took the same cruise out of Miami again.

We are sailing next week on a similar itinerary on a Spanish cruise line.

Thank you. Me

Is this your actual first time in Roatan or have you been there before but docked in Coxen Hole rather than Mahogany Bay?

A great thing to do in Costa Maya is go (as others have suggested) to Majahaul. Tropical there is nice! :)

LuLu

First time

Since it's your FIRST time in Roatan, you might consider getting away for Mahogany Bay to see the "real" Roatan if that's important to you.

Otherwise, enjoy a very decent free beach day at the beach at Mahogany Bay. :)

LuLu