What to do after cruise? Flight doesn't leave till 4:0 - luggage logistics too

jratly

We arrive back in SJ January 18 from a week long cruise and our flight leaves at 4:40PM. What do cruisers normally do with their luggage (and carry on) if you want to poke around before your flight? Also, we have done the OSJ walking tour before (though I wouldn't mind parts of it again) so is there something else we should see during this time frame?

Is this something we would want to do (or have time to do that morning) before getting on a 4 hour flight home? I had read somewhere you can plan on getting wet so wouldn't relish the thought of that on a long plane ride. Would the tour companies store your luggage?

We booked a rental from Charlie's. If you book it at Condado and drop off at the airport, they provide free shuttle service each way. We have used Charlie's before and have a car for 3 night pre-cruise also.

They told me when we get our luggage and get through customs to call them and they will come straight to the pier to get us. We will do something for a few hours, take the car back to Isle Verde (by the airport) drop off the car and take their shuttle back to the airport.

Total cost was $23.40 for a compact. For just the 2 of us, that is enough room to load our luggage and then enjoy a few hours in San Juan or go to the rain forest rather than sit in the airport for 6 or 7 hours. Our flight leaves at 4.

Is this something we would want to do (or have time to do that morning) before getting on a 4 hour flight home? I had read somewhere you can plan on getting wet so wouldn't relish the thought of that on a long plane ride. Would the tour companies store your luggage?

You will have two security check points at the airport so I would get to the airport at least 2 hours before your flight.

Here's a great excursion if you are flying out of San Juan and have some time to kill before your flight. When exiting the terminal building for transportation you will see two orange booths. The one on the left is for "Taxis". The one on the right is for "Sightseeing Tours". For $25 per person, we gave our bags to the sightseeing tour guide. He loaded the bags into the back of his air conditioned van, and we jumped in, took a seat and waited for the large van to fill. Once full (about 16 or 18 passengers), our driver Hector left the port and headed for Old San Juan. He gave us information about the city, stopped for pictures, allowed us 15 minutes to tour the Capital, 40 minutes to explore Fort San Cristobal, a quick stop at Casa Don Q's (2 blocks from the OSJ docks and across the street from Tijuana's Bar and Grill) for a quick pitch on Don Q rum and free rum drinks. (My wife enjoyed a Pina Colada). Hector then dropped us off downtown to shop for 45 minutes. We grabbed a quick trinket and walked a block to the Parrot Club for lunch. Very interesting place. My wife just loves the decor. Our waiter was friendly, very courteous, and efficient. While not inexpensive, the food is outstanding and well worth the visit if you enjoy nice flavors. At 12:40pm we boarded the van and he dropped a few folks (who had evening flights) off at Lupis to enjoy lunch while the rest of us went to the airport. He then went back and picked up the Lupis group to continued their tour. Recommended! This was a great way to spend some free time in San Juan and get to the airport.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Here's a great excursion if you are flying out of San Juan and have some time to kill before your flight. When exiting the terminal building for transportation you will see two orange booths. The one on the left is for "Taxis". The one on the right is for "Sightseeing Tours". For $25 per person, we gave our bags to the sightseeing tour guide. He loaded the bags into the back of his air conditioned van, and we jumped in, took a seat and waited for the large van to fill.

This sounds like a good option. I wonder if anyone there is selling a tour to the rainforest?

We have booked a tour with Ellis on debarkation day to El Yunque rain forest. He will be picking us up at the Pan American pier early, taking us on the tour for 5 hours and dropping us and luggage at the airport by 1:30 for our 4 pm flight. His cost is $50 pp for a minimum of 3 and max 6 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have booked a tour with Ellis on debarkation day to El Yunque rain forest. He will be picking us up at the Pan American pier early, taking us on the tour for 5 hours and dropping us and luggage at the airport by 1:30 for our 4 pm flight. His cost is $50 pp for a minimum of 3 and max 6 people.

I got a quote from him yesterday for $60pp :confused: for the three in our party. FWIW, he can only accomodate 4 with luggage.

Here's a great excursion if you are flying out of San Juan and have some time to kill before your flight. When exiting the terminal building for transportation you will see two orange booths. The one on the left is for "Taxis". The one on the right is for "Sightseeing Tours". For $25 per person, we gave our bags to the sightseeing tour guide. He loaded the bags into the back of his air conditioned van, and we jumped in, took a seat and waited for the large van to fill. Once full (about 16 or 18 passengers), our driver Hector left the port and headed for Old San Juan. He gave us information about the city, stopped for pictures, allowed us 15 minutes to tour the Capital, 40 minutes to explore Fort San Cristobal, a quick stop at Casa Don Q's (2 blocks from the OSJ docks and across the street from Tijuana's Bar and Grill)..."

I've been reading about San Juan Happy Tours. CaribbeanBound are you describing a San Juan Happy Tour or is this a different tour company? We are interested in taking a tour like this. Thank you.

Keep in mind that you are returning during the San Sebastian Festival. 100,000+ people daily in Old San Juan. You probably are OK with anything in the morning but if you stay in the OSJ area you need to accommodate for the traffic jam of people going to the festival in addition to people leaving/coming to the cruise port.

AHulaGal... I have no idea the name of the company. They have vans lined up already on the right when you exit the terminal. When one departs another takes its place. No advance reservation. They leave as soon as they fill up. Guessing about 20 - 30 people (2 per seat) plus luggage.

Thank you for all your replies. I didn't realize that the San Sebastian Festival was such a large festival. Doesn't sound like an ideal time to tour OSJ.

The beach idea sounds like a good choice if maybe we had more time. From what I've read, it sounds like we need to be at the airport 2 or maybe 3 hours before our flight at 4PM.

I got a quote from him yesterday for $60pp :confused: for the three in our party. FWIW, he can only accomodate 4 with luggage.

Well that's odd. He told me last week $150 for up to 3 and, if 4 or more people, it's $50 pp each. There's 2 of us booked and he encouraged me to invite more people up to 6, knowing he is bringing our luggage. Maybe it's a different vehicle that day...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Has anyone just taken a taxi to an Isle Verde hotel that will hold your luggage while you enjoy the beach and have lunch? Our flight is at 3:15.

Marriott Stellaris charges $60 pp, holds luggage for $2 per piece and they give you back $10 pp towards food