Rude, Rude Rude passengers!!!

I don't get the point. Was he allergic to mushrooms? What was he mad about?

We were on a cruise a while ago .It was in the morning we were getting some breakfast at the buffet.When this guy walks up holding a plate with an omelette on it and just started berating the guy who had made the omeletee because the guy could see a mushroom sticking thru the egg:eek: And he wasnt being very nice about it.But the omelete maker just stood there and took it. theres no doubt in my mind that the omelette guy wanted to reach over and pop him one and Ill bet if they met out in public the complainer would not wont talk to the other guy like that:)

I'm quite a bit claustrophobic and if I cannot find an aisle seat, preferably near an exit door, (I'll arrive early) I will not be able to watch the show or even be in the theater for that matter. It's no biggie; I don't cruise to watch the shows. There is always something else going on in the ship.

Elevators are also a problem for me. If I am waiting for an elevator and one of the first to get on, I always chose the front corner closest to the door. If a lot of people push to get on, I can easily slide right out the door and wait for another or take the stairs. Before I learned this little trick, I know I must have offended some people when I suddenly felt I could not breathe and had to literally push my way out of the elevator. I'm "vertically challenged" and always having to stand at either butt or boob level to most people on an elevator puts me down where there is no fresh air.

I have hopes that one day people would find it in their heart to stop judging people by the way they dress on formal evenings. How one dresses is a personal choice and should have no influence on how you enjoy your cruise. Let the staff make the determination if someone has overstepped the rules. Tongue clacking and words like "those people" really only show how limited your life experiences have been in the world.

I do not have bladder or digestive problems. I get to the theater early and take an aisle seat because that is the one I want. And for the ones who get there when it is almost show time and they have to get to the middle we happily stand so they can get by.

I agree with so many of the previous posters! Rudeness abounds and always will, however, we do not have to allow it to ruin our cruise! While I am not the imposing figure that I once thought I was, being 72 yrs, 6' and 220#, but I can still block people from cutting lines and into elevators. If I can't then I smile and comment, "By all means go ahead, as you must be in really big hurry!"

I was raised to always remove my hat in the presents of a lady and on elevators. It is amazing how often that draws a comment like "I didn't know men still did that"! In addition, ladies are allowed to enter or leave first, when ever possible. Handicapped individuals are given the same treatment even if they are rude (I figure they have their own reasons). Have been know to wait until the next elevator rather than crowd the other passengers.

As for those that are obnoxious, I try not to lose my temper and lower myself to their level. My DW and I both apologize to the ships personnel and let them know that everyone is not like the obnoxious one!

As for taking a seat in the theatre, we usually arrive early and select the row that go right up to the edge of the production booth and take the end seats. However, we take the end seats next to the production booth which by the way has extra room between the last seat and the booth. We order a drink, receive the drink, tip a little extra as usual, enjoy the show and then we are almost always the last to leave because we have no place pressing that we have to go. (We are on a ship, you know!)

"Remember, Travel First Class! Or your kids will!"

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I never realized how many passengers preferred aisle seats. Too bad the theater doesn't have more. Add me to that list. I used to be a volunteer usher for a small local theater. It always amazed me that those with tickets for the end of the row ALMOST ALWAYS were the first to show up. And yes, you guessed correctly, those who arrived late (after the show started) had middle seats.

My pet peeve are the talkers. I am also a retired teacher and "blame" this recent "un" mannered behavior on television and other non-participating entertainment activities. I used to have to retrain my students that while in my classroom, one person had the floor and all of the other 37 students had to wait for their turn. Boy, was that a task to master.

I still enjoy cruising even with these distractions. I try to make the best of it.

I never realized how many passengers preferred aisle seats. Too bad the theater doesn't have more. Add me to that list.

I agree that if the Princess theatres had been planned with an additional center aisle, that would have doubled the # of end seats and made it far easier for those in the middle to get to an aisle if need be. The problem is, there would then be fewer seats in theatres that are too small to begin with on most ships.

The newest HAL ship, still being built, has a modified theatre-in-the-round concept. It appears, on paper anyway, to have more aisle seats than a more conventional theatre its size.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I do not have bladder or digestive problems. I get to the theater early and take an aisle seat because that is the one I want. And for the ones who get there when it is almost show time and they have to get to the middle we happily stand so they can get by.

I agree. I see no need to apologize for choosing the seat you want or to justify it by listing your physical needs. We always try to arrive early to take end seats because that's what we prefer. I say if you feel you need an end seat, then plan accordingly and arrive early enough to get one.

If the handicapped spots were all taken, I would gladly relinquish my end seat to accomodate someone with mobility issues. But for the grace of God, that could be me some day.

DH has to have an aisle seat so that he can put his left leg out. He has problems with blood clots in that leg and keeping it bent with very little leg room will result in a clot (he has gone from cruise to hospital several times). However, we have no problem getting up to let people past and certainly would never make faces at them.

I have found that rudeness seems to be worse on a ship since we are all cooped up together until the first port.

We have never personally encountered the rudeness on our land vacations at All Inclusive Resorts that we have been of the receiving end of on ships. Last year on Princess a woman poured her drink down my back in the theater and never said sorry. I was soaked to the skin with a sticky umbrella drink and had to go back and change my clothes. Even the people she was with apologized, but not that witch with a capital B.

The land resorts where we choose to stay actually do enforce the dress code. If a man shows up in sandals, wears a tee shirt instead of a collar shirt and does not have on long pants, he is not seated at the indoor a la carte restaurants. Period. We have seen this over and over at Sandals and at 5 star resorts in Mexico. They are advised which restaurants they can eat at dressed that way (usually open air grills by the beach) or told to call room service. We met a honeymoon couple at Sandals Antigua and the groom packed nothing but shorts and flip flops. His bride had all kinds of cute dresses. He ended up going into town and purchasing a shirt, dress pants and a pair of shoes so that they could eat in the restaurants. It is all over the literature. Many Mexican resorts have their menus online for each restaurant and the dress code is spelled out, so there is no excuse.

After one particularly rude guy got really aggressive with a sweet little Mexican hostess, several diners in the restaurant got up and told the guy to get lost and to stop bullying the hostess. When the jerk left there was a round of applause. We and several others tipped the hostess extra and were embarrassed that it was a fellow American acting like a total fool.

Edited by DebJ14

That would be us! :p

We are very social and one of the things we like best about cruising is meeting new people. We are very fortunate to have made many real-life friends on cruise ships over the years and now enjoy spending quality time with them both cruising and on land. We had friends whom we met on a cruise ship come down from Vancouver for New Year's Eve dinner and dancing and we have another cruise booked with them in the Spring. We have tentative plans for New Year's Eve next year with another wonderful couple we met years ago on a cruise ship. We have probably cruise half a dozen different times with each of these couples. Cruising is just a great way to make new friends.

I can't tell you how many times we have joined people who had told us they were "just leaving" and then stayed for an hour enjoying a delightful conversation over coffee.

Of course, if we ask someone if we can join them and they decline, we just smile, say thank you, and go find some other social folks like ourselves with whom to share our meal.

We're the same way. If we can't find a table in the Horizon, but see a big table with some empty seats, we'll ask if we can join them. Same if people ask if they can join us -- if we have seats, they'll welcome to join us. We do know to look in the back rooms -- when the door is closed, often passengers they don't know they can look in there and often find available tables (if could be that workers will close the door, hoping that diners won't enter those rooms).

On our last cruise, I was sitting at a back table for lunch, working on a puzzle magazine while I ate, and some women asked in halting English if they can sit there. Of course, I said yes. They proceeded to talk in another language (maybe Russian?) to each other, but I had my puzzles so no problem for me.

About elevator etiquette, another pet peeve. When the doors open, you wait to see if people in the car are trying to exit, before you enter. What amazes me is people will enter an empty elevator and then just stand there. I will go to the panel, if no one else does, and take command...holding the open door button, asking what floors people want and then pressing the close door button. I've seen some people stand there in front of the panel and ignore everyone.

About the elevator story someone told about the men removing hats, it reminds me of the "Mad Men" episode (in case you haven't seen this show, it's set in the 60s when men wore hats) in which some men are making sexist comments in an elevator, along side Don Draper and some woman. Don looks like he wants to brash in the men's heads, but instead commands them to remove their hats in front of a woman.

Another reason people grab aisle seats - anxiety issues. I have anxiety and I need to sit on an aisle seat in a crowded place. Need to know I can leave quickly if need be or I will have a friggin' panic attack! I wish it weren't so, but I always arrive early to ensure I can sit there, preferably nearest the back too.