Thoughts please: Gem, 10/10/15

jerseyralph

This week we booked the 10 day Gem departing NYC on 10/10. I just realized that NCL is marketing this itinerary as part of a 17 day trip that begins 10/3 and includes 7 days Canada first, back to NYC , then 10 days Eastern Caribbean. I am a bit concerned. We will be boarding the ship with passengers who have already been sailing on her for 7 days.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of trip? Are there any downsides to sailing with people who boarded seven days before you?

Thanks for any input.

Gina and Ralph

I would doubt that will know you had been a the previous cruise unless you over hear a conversation or two. I have done several back to back cruises and have never had any kind of issue. The Gem is a great ship and this is a nice itinerary.

A lot of cruises can be bought as combined itineraries like the 17-nighter, and as said by www3travwler, it has absolutely no effect on the cruise unless you socialize with people that are on back2back.

Even then it's no problem, some people on your Meet and Mingle group (if someone arranges one and you are going) just might know each other a bit better because of the week they have already spent onboard. Other than that, you won't usually even see it anywhere, the cruises are still organized as two separate cruises and it doesn't show at all to the people embarking only for the second leg.

Unless someone is walking around with a sign around their neck that says "I've been on the ship for 7 days already and you haven't neener neener" I don't see how one would know. They have the advantage of knowing where everything is, but that shouldn't affect you that much.

I just came off a 10 day on the Pearl where people had been on for 11 days prior to us and some where doing the 11 days after us. We met some great people and benefited from their previous cruise as to where to go on the repeat islands etc.

The entertainment was somewhat repeated but with different groups / individuals so that was not really an issue.

I would honestly say there is no issue whatsoever, you will have a great time!!