Cozumel snorkeling - best trip and how good is it?

firstalaskatrip

I've been reading lots of posts on cozumel and snorkeling. Some people seem to think the snorkeling is the "best ever." While others comment that the reefs are very deep/better for diving or that reefs were damaged in a recent hurricane. I'm now totally confused and not sure if it is best to spend time in Cozumel snorkeling or do something else. Can someone with snorkeling experience help give some perspective on the reefs/snorkeling in Cozumel?

How does snorkeling in cozumel compare to snorkeling in other locations? (Most recently I visited Belize and Grand Turk). Is it better to do a boat excursion or snorkel from shore? I would ideally like to see healthy coral and fish/other animals without having the water be too deep or rough. I am an experienced snorkeler and can handle some current, but my mother (who I will be traveling with) is more timid. Also- any chance of seeing turtles? I am definitely open to a non-cruise ship excursion if there is a good company you would recommend.

If the issue is with the depth of reefs, would it make sense to do something like the Atlantis sub? Has anyone done this and would you recommend it?

I would also love to know.

Having been to Cozumel 5 times. And still looking for this.

Right now we are a phone call away from booking a different type of excursion, but I could be swayed if someone would provide information on great snorkeling.

Safe journey

Turtles are rarely in shallow in Cozumel. Out on the reefs, they are seen mostly in warmer months, like May-Aug as they are there for breeding.

I have videos of the reefs from DIVING.

Snorkeling is just okay from shore... some coral rubble and fishlife. That is because the rough seas, storms and just regular wave action is hard on the coral. Not saying you can't have fun snorkeling in Cozumel from shore, but it is NOT the best in Caribbean. Diving is a whole different story!

you can snorkel from Money Bar, see coral rubble and fish.

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_3.jpg

entry point at Money Bar

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_5.jpg

Coral rubble and some fishlife, just off shore at Money Bar

Even many of the snorkeling BOATS stop at Money Bar to snorkel, you can see the people in the water

2014_Magic_COZ145.JPG

If you only want to snorkel for 15-20 minutes, then sit at a beach club and drink and eat, I would think about Money Bar.

If you want to snorkel 30-60 min at a couple of reefs, see more coral and fish, I would book a boat tour.

The best snorkeling I've done in Cozumel was on the East side, but you would definitley need a boat tour and I'm not sure anyone even offers this. We did it with a Dune Buggy tour about 8 years ago. (The Dune Buggies no longer do this route I don't think). We went to the East side, then north up the sand trails and stopped at a beach for lunch. We were told we could snorkel out to the reef if we wanted. We had our own gear, so headed out. My husband and I are very experienced snorkelers and it was a long swim over nothing but sand until you reached the reef. When we did, though....WOW. We were in about 20-30 feet of water, but the reef came right up to the surface so it was like looking at 3 story buildings of pure beautiful colorful reef. We saw many divers below us and it was cool to watch them going through the reef below us.

Again a really LONG swim back and my husband wished he'd had a snorkel vest by the time we made it back in, but it was wonderful when we were out there.

Thanks for the responses. ABQrobin - I am happy to do a boat tour. If we do a boat tour, how is the snorkeling? You mention the reefs are good for diving. Are the ones we could get to by boat good for snorkeling or are they too deep/also beat up like the shore reefs? I know I would need to take a boat trip to go snorkeling in Belize and that the reefs there are great. What specifically would I be missing out on if I went snorkeling in Cozumel by boat instead of Belize?

p.s. ABQrobin - saw your post in response to my question and another person's question on the snorkel forum. Is the current the big issue with Cozumel? Also- I actually snorkeled in Belize last may near Caye Caulker - coral gardens and one other site. I'd love to go back to snorkel Belize, but I also would really like to go to Lamanai, so that's why I'm torn and trying to figure out if Cozumel would be a decent substitute. I'm definitely planning to snorkel in Roatan as well. Also- for Belize, I'd really love to go to Hol Chan Marine reserve when I go, and it is pretty hard to get their on a cruise day without flying. Anyway, any additional info you or anyone else can give on snorkeling from a boat in Cozumel would be appreciated. Thanks!

We just took the Aqua Dream 2 catamaran snorkel on Friday - booked through Freedom of the Seas. I believe it was $39 per person. The boat was nice, plenty of room for a group and had bathrooms. We took a short cruise to the snorkel spots just off the beach not far from the ship. The snorkeling is not that great. We had WAY better snorkeling on Coco Cay if that tells you anything. The current is very strong. The catamaran drops you off and you follow the guide down the shoreline in about 20 feet of water. Then they picked us up and we sailed a bit further to a more shallow area. Same thing - not a lot of fish, and very little coral. The was very clear and warm, but it would have been nice to actually see some more fish! After about 1 hour of snorkeling, we went back on the catamaran for a short relaxing sail with rum punch, beer and margaritas. They did not taste strong but they were! Carlos was the head guide and he was really good and made the trip fun. I would do it again for the sail and the drinks! :)

Major hurricane about 8 years ago (I don't remember the name) did lots of damage to the west side Cozumel reefs. We have snorkeled several places, and it is just OK, nothing spectacular. Much better in Roatan West End or Half Moon Bay. We usually snorkel Coz from the beach, and you can access many of the places the tours go direct from the beach for free or just buy something at one of several beach bars (Money bar, i believe Sunset beach, and one whose name I can't remember just north of the south cruise ship dock). Last time we booked a 3 stop snorkel tour to Palancar. What a disappointment! The boat picked us up at Money Bar, then they proceeded to cruise down the coast and stop at docks by all the hotels to pick up more people. Only had a short time at the 3 stops, playing "follow the leader" the whole time. The tour took the whole afternoon, mostly riding the small glass bottom boat. Didn't see anything but sand from the glass bottom.

p.s. ABQrobin - saw your post in response to my question and another person's question on the snorkel forum. Is the current the big issue with Cozumel? Also- I actually snorkeled in Belize last may near Caye Caulker - coral gardens and one other site. I'd love to go back to snorkel Belize, but I also would really like to go to Lamanai, so that's why I'm torn and trying to figure out if Cozumel would be a decent substitute. I'm definitely planning to snorkel in Roatan as well. Also- for Belize, I'd really love to go to Hol Chan Marine reserve when I go, and it is pretty hard to get their on a cruise day without flying. Anyway, any additional info you or anyone else can give on snorkeling from a boat in Cozumel would be appreciated. Thanks!

Current is there in Cozumel, no matter where you snorkel or dive. Some days it may be stronger than others.

Snorkeling in Cozumel is not as good as Belize or Roatan for that reason as well as the fact the "pretty" reefs in Cozumel are deep, too deep for snorkeling. IF I wanted the best snorkeling experience, and was only doing 1 of the 3 places, I would opt for either Belize or Roatan, and a boat trip at either place. Roatan, in fact, is nice because the reefs are so close to shore and there is so little current.

So as a DIVER, I know the reefs in Cozumel are gorgeous and the fishlife is the best in Caribbean, hands down... but that is scuba diving. Snorkeling in Cozumel can be work (currrent) and it can be just coral rubble. One day may be better than others, one reef may be good one day, not great the next. I love love love diving Cozumel. If you are interested in getting scuba certified, it is amazing there.... just my experiences.

We went snorkeling with Tiger last year and we thought it was pretty good. It was our first time so we are no experts but we did see a turtle and a baracuda. He also takes you to El Cielo which is just amazingly beautiful!! We plan on booking with him again this year because we have a friend who hasn't been before. Can't wait, we leave from Galveston on Sunday.

Thanks for all the tips! ABQrobin - between Roatan and Belize, do you think Roatan offers a similar experience snorkeling to belize? Would you recommend a boat tour or shore snorkeling in Roatan for the best snorkeling.

Also- for Cozumel - do any of you have any idea where the atlantis sub goes? Wondering if that would be a good way to get around the too deep/current issues in Cozumel but still see the reef.

Roatan the reefs are right up to the shore, so short boat trip. The reefs on the southside of Roatan are wall dives... that means the reef drops down to the blue but much of the reef is up within 10-30' of the surface before it drops off. I am only guessing from my snorkel trip in Belize, but I think most of the reefs they use for snorkel trips are shallow as the whole area near where the ships are moored is shallow sandy bottom with scattered islands and coral. Other than that, it will be the same, I would think. Our boat ride in Belize was 30+ min each way... but once again, it was bad weather, so some boats may have gone closer in to snorkel. When we were at Gallows 3 other snorkel boats showed up.. probably the best place to snorkel that day due to the weather, rain, low vis in water, etc.

Cozumel sub is not at all affected by the current. It goes to Chankanaab Balones reef. That area is south of the Puerto Maya cruise dock and maybe 40-60' deep. I have been diving there and seen it go by! We waved at the people looking out the windows. LOL I have never done the sub, but I have been told that it is fun and a nice way to see reefs and fish if you are not a diver. I do not know how long it is actually down underwater.

We did the FE Catamaran Sail and Snorkel Cozumel and had a great time, see our review on TA. We did see other tiny and overcrowded boat doing snorkel tours for $25 and you can see clearly, you get what you pay for...I would not be surprised that their comments about snorkling in Cozumel are not very good, it all depends where you go I guess.

Our guides were wonderful and equipment was almost brand new. We had a great time.