The Triumph: More Convenient and Less Value. A Review of or 12-29-2014 Experience

BallFour4

I'm not really a fan of Royal Caribbean ships (I could care less about ice skating while I am wanting sun and I don't like how they look like malls )

You know that you can go the entire week and not even know that there's an ice skating rink on the Royal ships that have it. To say that you won't sail Royal because you don't care for an ice skating rink is as shortsighted as saying that you won't cruise Carnival because you don't care for Guy's Burgers. If you don't care for either, there's PLENTY of other things to do on both cruise lines.

And not all Royal ships have a Royal Promenade (a.k.a. "a mall"). Only Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class do. All others have a more "traditional" atrium just like on Carnival. But even if you are sailing on a ship with a Royal Promenade, there are PLENTY of other places throughout the ship to be, many that are absolutely wonderful and can't be recreated on any Carnival ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

You know that you can go the entire week and not even know that there's an ice skating rink on the Royal ships that have it. To say that you won't sail Royal because you don't care for an ice skating rink is as shortsighted as saying that you won't cruise Carnival because you don't care for Guy's Burgers. If you don't care for either, there's PLENTY of other things to do on both cruise lines.

And not all Royal ships have a Royal Promenade (a.k.a. "a mall"). Only Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class do. All others have a more "traditional" atrium just like on Carnival. But even if you are sailing on a ship with a Royal Promenade, there are PLENTY of other places throughout the ship to be, many that are absolutely wonderful and can't be recreated on any Carnival ship.

I'm not saying I won't sail RC - I'm just saying some of their things that they tout are not things I care about. If I have a cocktail, book, and lounge chair I'm pretty much okay.

I agree with your review of the Triumph as we sailed with my parents on her in Nov 2014 and we said never again on this ship although we have enjoyed Carnival in the past. I did a review of our experience and you can check it on member reviews on this site.

Galveston was a good port for us being from the area, good embarkation but not so good once we left port.

Thanks for your review.

I'm not saying I won't sail RC - I'm just saying some of their things that they tout are not things I care about.

I understand. It's unfortunate and almost counterproductive though, for both Carnival and Royal, that they advertise so much the things that differentiate them from the competition, that a lot of people fail to see other things that these cruise lines offer and that may actually be more appealing to them, like places to quietly sit with a cocktail and a book... :)

Edited by Tapi

I book a cruise for my parents anniversary every year after they visit us for Thanksgiving. They are 90 and 88. We can only do short cruises due to their health. This year we sailed the week after Thanksgiving. The worst part was getting on the ship. Although we rent a wheelchair we have to wait for Carnival to bring one to us so we can get on and then get out rented chair. We are Platinum and that meant nothing as far as a wheelchair was concerned. We waited close to 1 1/2 hrs for one. That's ridiculous. It has never happened before. We got on and had very long lines in the Lido. We usually get there early and are onboard before the crowds which is much easier when a wheelchair and baby are concerned. Yes we had 3 cabins and only 2 had flat screens! Not a big problem but you would think side by side cabins on the same deck would have the same equipment. Cabin steward was great and we had a baby with us. Dining room staff really catered to us and the baby, so no complaints there. The cruise was warm for a change and we liked that! Yes music was loud as usual! The Triumph did not have many children on it so no issues there. The Triumph serves a purpose for us and is the only short option out of Galveston. I wish they had moved and renamed it after the trouble so it could have a fresh start. When will Carnival realize that putting it's worst ships on short cruises is not a good idea. I see the Magic will be doing some short cruises out of Galveston while the Freedom will do some 7 days. Interesting.

Edited by blyle

When will Carnival realize that putting it's worst ships on short cruises is not a good idea.

IMHO, putting its worst ships on longer cruises is an even worse idea. Usually, seasoned and experienced cruisers choose longer cruises, so they will be a more discerning crowd. Shorter cruises attract more first timers and cruisers on a budget. Many of them won't even notice or care that the ship is "older", or that the TV's are mismatched. Simply, they won't have anything to compare the Triumph to so they'll be happy.

Edited by Tapi

IMHO, putting its worst ships on longer cruises is an even worse idea. Usually, seasoned and experienced cruisers choose longer cruises, so they will be a more discerning crowd. Shorter cruises attract more first timers and cruisers on a budget. Many of them won't even notice or care that the ship is "older", or that the TV's are mismatched. Simply, they won't have anything to compare the Triumph to so they'll be happy.

While I don't get the TV mismatched comment (yours or the OP), I do also question using the older ship(s) for the longer one way cruises. The net affect was we got a true bargain on the Magic next month for a five day (which we usually don't do cruises that short) that only happened because the Triumph changed to the longer one ways. I hope the trend on the longer one ways continues and spreads to times during the year we can take advantage of.

I understand where you are coming from OP...it is just always hard when the vacation does not meet goals and needs one was used to having met and I get how the bad things added up. I really only have seven or eight cruises over 30 plus years under my belt and just turned the double nickels..LOL.

My last two were Carnival and my Paradise 4 day from Long Beach in 2009 far outweighed my 5 day on the Spirit in 2012 and it went to Cabo from San Diego...lots of service things, food dining room things and it was going to Austrailia fairly soon.

Folks strong enough to give their pros and cons with the boundaries you initiated in the entry as well as the civil discussions here do the best to keep folks informed as things raise and fall and cycle around on what is great about Carnival when it works for folks and how that changes or stays the same. I think at any price point..buget to luxury..cruising is a good deal but not ever cheap for many when air and travel is added in and we all need these discussuions to best meet our valued vacation needs the most successful way possible...things varrey and change on each ship over time.

I know I would enjoy Galveston exit sometime being from MT but often even more expensive to get there...

Thanks for sharing your opinions and feelings about your recent trip...long ago I stopped my old goal of getting on every class of every mainstream line..too much to fine tune to meet each vacation's needs..that God willing I will soon be taking more of..

Take care and a better set of more pros than cons next time..I can tell you still had fun...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

While I don't get the TV mismatched comment (yours or the OP), I do also question using the older ship(s) for the longer one way cruises. The net affect was we got a true bargain on the Magic next month for a five day (which we usually don't do cruises that short) that only happened because the Triumph changed to the longer one ways. I hope the trend on the longer one ways continues and spreads to times during the year we can take advantage of.

I'll reply to your and some other questions on one post. When Carnival upgraded the Fantasy class ships they did it all the remodel at one time. New televisions and pool area upgrades were just some of the items added.

When the Triumph fire forced Carnival to make extensive repairs and upgrades there was no better time than to do a cabin makeover including the flat panel televisions. They didn't. We've been in 9 cabins aboard the ship post fire and they have no pattern on what was done.

We've sailed the bulk of our cruises when school was out. My wife just retired from teaching, and we had a college age child. No ship was as rowdy or managed as poorly as the Triumph. Those past 4-5 night sailings included the Ecstasy, Elation, Imagination, Celebration, Majesty and Splendor of the Seas.

As for using the Triumph for the 10-11 day sailings I like that idea. I'm convinced the ship is one of the safest at sea post refurbish. We did the Behind The Scenes Tour in June and were impressed. We loved the food, entertainment and past cruise directors. We also liked lido deck balcony cabins. We did seize the moment and grab a aft wrap for one of the five night sailings on the Magic as well.

In the past I've defended the claims about Carnival being the Walmart of the seas. Mass market cruises make the costs less for all, and Galveston makes a drive up port reachable for millions. I just don't like what the Triumph has eroded into, and that's a Walmart Clearance Center.

Edited by BallFour4

I'll reply to your and some other questions on one post. When Carnival upgraded the Fantasy class ships they did it all the remodel at one time. New televisions and pool area upgrades were just some of the items added.

When the Triumph fire forced Carnival to make extensive repairs and upgrades there was no better time than to do a cabin makeover including the flat panel televisions. They didn't. We've been in 9 cabins aboard the ship post fire and they have no pattern on what was done.

We've sailed the bulk of our cruises when school was out. My wife just retired from teaching, and we had a college age child. No ship was as rowdy or managed as poorly as the Triumph. Those past 4-5 night sailings included the Ecstasy, Elation, Imagination, Celebration, Majesty and Splendor of the Seas.

As for using the Triumph for the 10-11 day sailings I like that idea. I'm convinced the ship is one of the safest at sea post refurbish. We did the Behind The Scenes Tour in June and were impressed. We loved the food, entertainment and past cruise directors. We also liked lido deck balcony cabins. We did seize the moment and grab a aft wrap for one of the five night sailings on the Magic as well.

In the past I've defended the claims about Carnival being the Walmart of the seas. Mass market cruises make the costs less for all, and Galveston makes a drive up port reachable for millions. I just don't like what the Triumph has eroded into, and that's a Walmart Clearance Center.

Actually, I have seen different TV (types) on the same ship before. (Pride, Victory and Legend). It is simple one of two things (neither is bad mgt by the way), they do some of the ship at a time and the other is replace them as they go bad (tube screen with flat screen). When are you sailing a five night on the Magic? We will be on her 02/14/15, it was a fantastic deal when they took the Triumph to the longer sailings. I am sure the crowd will be the same for either ship (to reference to your girls gone wild comment). We just got off the Breeze and the NYE party was as crazy out on lido as I have ever seen (nobody was in the pool and I saw no gyrations at all), but it was loud. That is just part of what Carnival is an has been the fun ships.

I did not see any reference in your original post on how the CD (who was it BTW) did not mention the Diamond members. I have never seen that done since they instituted the program. Did you meet a diamond member that was snubbed?

Be interested to see if you think the "Walmart Clearance Center" applies to the Magic as well after you cruise your 5 day.

We can move on, thanks for replying Happy sailing:)

The lido party was marginalized by the Carnival DJ’s again pushing the Triumph sound system to 90% distortion.

This was our biggest complaint when we went on her December 2013. It was even loud at 8am with some dumb TV program. Otherwise we were pretty happy with the five day trip.

RC has the solarium...great place to hang out like you are talking about and it is an adult's only area. I love both Carnival and RC and RC has some beautiful ships.

I'm not saying I won't sail RC - I'm just saying some of their things that they tout are not things I care about. If I have a cocktail, book, and lounge chair I'm pretty much okay.

I have certainly been on nicer ships but I really enjoyed the Triumph - I went post fire. And I am one that could really care less if there are box or flat screen TV's as I don't cruise to watch TV. My biggest issue is going to be getting back on a cruise ship after visiting an all inclusive for the first time this past year. I certainly didn't miss crowds or elevators. We shall see....

The lido party was marginalized by the Carnival DJ’s again pushing the Triumph sound system to 90% distortion.

This was our biggest complaint when we went on her December 2013. It was even loud at 8am with some dumb TV program. Otherwise we were pretty happy with the five day trip.

We were on the Breeze for NYE and it was really cranked up for the countdown to the new year (much higher than normal). I think that may be what the op was referring to.

It also was pretty cool, will probably do another NYE cruise next Year.:)

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. We sailed on the Triumph in November 2013 and had a wonderful time. We are in our early 40's and had our DS who is 16 with us. We sailed with our best friends who are in their early 50's and had their DD who was early 20's. We all enjoyed ourselves and would sail on the Triumph again. We live about 30 minutes from Galveston.