Wake Up Call for Parents

Jane2357

Young children should have swimming lessons as early as possible.

Although I agree with you, stats show that children who have had lessons have less fear of the water and drown more often and parents of kids with some swimming skills relax more when their kids are around water

Well, the news said the boy was Italian. Imagine if he happened to be from Rome, for instance; I imagine there are not a lot of opportunities for 4 year olds to learn how to swim in Rome. Or maybe there are; the point is, we should not judge until we have walked a mile in his parents' shoes.

not to downplay it but, what does near drowning mean? the child was running aroung near the pool and COULD have drown...jumped/fell into the wated and was taken out but someone in the pool.....or actually went into the water...sucked water into their lungs and had to be resusitated? Also, I think that this seems to happen FAR less then around home pools or public pools on land.....I am not downplaying the need for parents to be aware of where their children are though.....Sreiously I would like to know how NEAR the drowning was

A 4 yr old is in critical condition after a near downing yesterday on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas. When are parents of young children going to realize that the ship is not a place to let your guard down - you MUST keep an eye on your children, of all ages. Sad just so sad that once again there is tragedy but I've seen parents on both Carnival and Celebrity act like once on board that they are on vacation - and let the kids just run loose. Of course don't know the circumstances to this case. :(

People do get distracted....and I would guess that even the best most aware of parents have at least a near miss with a potential accident from time to time..whe thing is not to over or undereact. last year I stopped some crazy woman that was going to break the window of a car because someone had left their dog inside.....not the windows were down about 3 inches and the day was on the cool side.....65ish and those dogs were in no danger...but she could not see it....had to take the tire iron away from her.

I guess I look at it like this. If the child quietly or loudly sank beneath the water, if the parent had their eyes on the child they would know that there was something wrong, it would not take a bystander (like it did in this case) to rescue the child.

just another added expense for others to pay for......people need to responsible for themselves and their children.....not look to a government or cruise line to do it

A productive solution that has taken far to long IMHO for too many cruise lines!

Stones.. jane.....Stones

While I have and will continue to pray for this boy and his family - and while accidents are just that accidental and can happen to everyone - this accident brought about horrific consequences.

It was though TOTALLY PREVENTABLE - the family took their eyes off the boy or he wandered off or whatever else the wording wants to say - they weren't doing their job, which was to keep the child with them and safe. Regret and devastation I've no doubt - my point was let all parents use this as a reminder to not get into the mindset that the ship is a play ground and your child is forgotten while you vacation.

Putting in Lifeguards is just a way to assign blame to the cruise line is something happens......life is life....we do the best we can...hope for the best when the worst happens....and remember that nobody is perfect and sometimes things happen that don't need to be blamed on someone

Of course parents should watch their young children.

Of course' date=' something can happen in a nanosecond.

Of course, wherever there is a public pool, there should be lifeguards.[/quote']

not to downplay it but, what does near drowning mean? .....Sreiously I would like to know how NEAR the drowning was

Near drowning means all but dying from being under water.

If someone drowned, it means they died. Near drowning is the stage right before dying underwater. There are many serious complications that can occur from near-drowning.

not to downplay it but, what does near drowning mean? the child was running aroung near the pool and COULD have drown...jumped/fell into the wated and was taken out but someone in the pool.....or actually went into the water...sucked water into their lungs and had to be resusitated? Also, I think that this seems to happen FAR less then around home pools or public pools on land.....I am not downplaying the need for parents to be aware of where their children are though.....Sreiously I would like to know how NEAR the drowning was
According to reports. Someone from the deck above noticed the boy submerged in the wave pool and a bystander pulled him out of the water. They say he was in the water between 5 and 10 minutes. Those by the pool did CPR on the child and he was revived.

People do get distracted....and I would guess that even the best most aware of parents have at least a near miss with a potential accident from time to time..whe thing is not to over or undereact. last year I stopped some crazy woman that was going to break the window of a car because someone had left their dog inside.....not the windows were down about 3 inches and the day was on the cool side.....65ish and those dogs were in no danger...but she could not see it....had to take the tire iron away from her.

If one knows that they are in a situation, like a cruise, where there are things that could be dangerous to their children (pools, other people, railings that they could get through or climb over, etc.), one should practice due diligence and keep and eye or hand on their child 100 percent of the time, but this is just my opinion and others feel differently.

BTW, I don't leave my dog in the car at any weather, since any good responsible dog owner know how fast the temperature can rise if the car is parked in the sun.

And Jane.....why is this on the Celebrity boards?.....you said it happened on RCCL yes?:cool:

Like I said in my original post - it can serve as a reminder to all parents on any ship - to remain vigilant with the safety of their young children. Although X does see less children than some other lines - there are children sailing. Just a cautionary reminder is all.

Well,

Although you think you know...you don't...on a cool day like that no matter how direct the sunlight hitting the car it will not raise the internal temp to anywhere near a dangerous level...if you feel that you should not ever leave you dog unattended though ...that is certainly your right and I am sure your dog appreciates being with you

If one knows that they are in a situation, like a cruise, where there are things that could be dangerous to their children (pools, other people, railings that they could get through or climb over, etc.), one should practice due diligence and keep and eye or hand on their child 100 percent of the time, but this is just my opinion and others feel differently.

BTW, I don't leave my dog in the car at any weather, since any good responsible dog owner know how fast the temperature can rise if the car is parked in the sun.

I agree that being vigilant is being important when it comes to to your children on a cruise. However, there are other areas that people may act differently and let their guard down when on a cruise. People sometimes drink too much, forgot that crime can occur on a ship, etc. Put simply, one should not turn off his/her brain just because the person is on the cruise. Also, you can be vigilant and bad things can still happen.

I hope the child has a speedy recovery.