Remodelling the christmas experience

davecttr

I have only ever been away a couple of times on Xmas day the 1st we were in the air the 2nd we had Xmas dinner with the family then flew early evening. If I was on a cruise in the Caribbean I wouldn't want my dinner at lunch time I would want to be taking advantage of a sea day and the sun.

I also wouldn't want to be in a queue inside when I could be outside in the sun.

I would be happy with what ever time they wanted to serve me dinner in the evening just because I haven't had to slave in a kitchen for hours. Also I would be happy to dress up for dinner because usually I am in comfy clothes because I spend Xmas eve and Xmas day in the kitchen.

Maybe I am easily pleased.

I do understand that cruises where the weather is not a warm Xmas dinner could be lunch and this would suit people better. P & O are never going to please everyone but you know what is going to happen when you book the cruise - if you don't you should have done your research.

Agree!!

I am happy with our late sitting, we don't get off the plane until 2.30pm so there is no way I would be ready for early sitting, I want to chill a bit, soak up a bit of sun, cheeky nap, when I eat christmas dinner early my day has gone, I am stuff and tired!!!

Agree!!

I am happy with our late sitting, we don't get off the plane until 2.30pm so there is no way I would be ready for early sitting, I want to chill a bit, soak up a bit of sun, cheeky nap, when I eat christmas dinner early my day has gone, I am stuff and tired!!!

Another sensible post.

The major flaw in your revised Xmas programme is that the crew have THEIR Xmas dinner at lunchtime, when the officers serve them in the Mess.

Good point, I had forgotten about that, its probably a great team bonding session and it would be a shame to lose it to please a few.

The major flaw in your revised Xmas programme is that the crew have THEIR Xmas dinner at lunchtime, when the officers serve them in the Mess.

no problem, they can have their xmas dinner in the evening, served to them in their mess by the officers.:)

There being no evening dinner for the passengers, who, having stuffed themselves at lunchtime will make do with a light finger buffet plus some nuts and satsumas :D

no problem, they can have their xmas dinner in the evening, served to them in their mess by the officers.:)

There being no evening dinner for the passengers, who, having stuffed themselves at lunchtime will make do with a light finger buffet plus some nuts and satsumas :D

Agree Dave, then the crew can the relax and have a drink or two, instead of having to rush back to work in the evening.

I see many passengers stuffing themselves at breakfast and lunch and still eat a full evening meal on every cruise we do, I don't think their stomachs would make an exception on Christmas Day evening!

Was going to say the same thing, I thing the officers turn up at the start more for publicity then go on their way, not sure how true that is?

Now is that the urban myth? There is no proof for either story.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is no proof for either story.

Isn't there?

"As Head Chef of Azura, Nevil Heredia has to prepare over 4200 Christmas dinners. Despite this, he still looks forward to the festive period. 'I get very excited around Christmas. On board, it's really fun: we devise different menus, the ship is decorated beautifully and the mood is buoyant,' he says.

While Christmas day itself is particularly hectic, there are perks. 'After the passengers' lunch has been served, all the crew sit down together for a festive lunch of their own served by the officers,' says Nevil."

Isn't there?

"As Head Chef of Azura, Nevil Heredia has to prepare over 4200 Christmas dinners. Despite this, he still looks forward to the festive period. 'I get very excited around Christmas. On board, it's really fun: we devise different menus, the ship is decorated beautifully and the mood is buoyant,' he says.

While Christmas day itself is particularly hectic, there are perks. 'After the passengers' lunch has been served, all the crew sit down together for a festive lunch of their own served by the officers,' says Nevil."

That's not proof, just an extension of the myth :)

We are just back from Thomson Majesty and I would amazed if the Greek officers served lunch, they can barely manage to give passengers the time of day and I saw them speak to the crew quite badly on a few occasions.

That's not proof, just an extension of the myth :)

We are just back from Thomson Majesty and I would amazed if the Greek officers served lunch, they can barely manage to give passengers the time of day and I saw them speak to the crew quite badly on a few occasions.

Aargh! you mentioned the 'T' word, be prepared for a deluge of snide comments and urban myths. :eek:;)

ps - in some ways 'T' is more traditional than P&O and can have better structured and less 'butlinesque' entertainment - incoming ;)

Aargh! you mentioned the 'T' word, be prepared for a deluge of snide comments and urban myths. :eek:;)

ps - in some ways 'T' is more traditional than P&O and can have better structured and less 'butlinesque' entertainment - incoming ;)

And to add to the controversy you've used smilies too! :D

Traditional in the sense that they are much like Airtours of the 1990's?

As a brief comparison* I would say P&O have better ships and better food. Entertainment was different in the sense that there was only the occasional quiz, but of a similar standard otherwise. The service in the restaurant was very poor, bordering on farcical at times.

The one thing that did bother us was security. Each time we returned to the ship neither our bags or ourselves were searched.

*on the basis of several P&O cruises and 1 Thomson.

Hubby and I were on board Oceana for Christmas 2012 visiting Bruge, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Gothenberg and have to say we had a mixed experience.

Father Christmas arrived on board about 5.30 Christmas Eve. Not sure if he came down the funnel or not but he appeared on the top deck by the main pool and it was a bit of an anti-climax. To be honest we've seen better dressed Father Christmas in the local shopping centre!

We were on Freedom Dining and had to book our table for Christmas Dinner. We only had to queue for about 1/2 hour at most - but then we did get there for booking opening as we wanted to book a table for 2. We do usually share but just this once wanted a table to ourselves. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner and being a formal night made it that extra bit special - and yes the staff were even more jolly and friendly than usual.

Christmas Day daytime was a bit of a let down for us. It felt like we were hanging around waiting for dinner and thought there could have been more entertainment. There was a Carol Service and a party in the afternoon for children. Being in a colder climate almost everyone was inside so we struggled to find a seat anywhere.

However, there was Christmas music playing and the gingerbread village and decorations did make it feel very festive. Also the Christmas cakes looked amazing.

Overall we did enjoy the cruise but felt we would have enjoyed it better if we'd had children or been part of a bigger group. This was our first Christmas cruise and our first "cold" cruise. We would do a Christmas cruise again but it would need to be somewhere warm so that we could spend more time on deck.

Sorry if I've rambled!! :)

Bells

Hubby and I were on board Oceana for Christmas 2012 visiting Bruge, Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Gothenberg and have to say we had a mixed experience.

Father Christmas arrived on board about 5.30 Christmas Eve. Not sure if he came down the funnel or not but he appeared on the top deck by the main pool and it was a bit of an anti-climax. To be honest we've seen better dressed Father Christmas in the local shopping centre!

Christmas Day daytime was a bit of a let down for us. It felt like we were hanging around waiting for dinner and thought there could have been more entertainment. There was a Carol Service and a party in the afternoon for children. Being in a colder climate almost everyone was inside so we struggled to find a seat anywhere.

However, there was Christmas music playing and the gingerbread village and decorations did make it feel very festive. Also the Christmas cakes looked amazing.

Bells

We have experienced just one Christmas cruise, to the Canaries on Azura in 2012, and had a similar experience.

We were on our way home by Christmas Day, it wasn't really warm enough to spend much time out on deck (I'm not a sun bather anyway) and things seemed rather 'flat'. We had chosen fixed dining rather than anytime so that we could get to know our table companions before the big day (the cruise ended on 27th Dec) and I'm glad we did - even though there were only 2 other people on our table, leaving 2 empty seats for the duration of the cruise.

The ship was beautifully decorated and I agree that the cakes and gingerbread village were stunning. I enjoyed participating in the church service and the evening concert as part of the passenger choir.

I'll admit that I did feel better once I had been able to get a line for a quick chat with my son. He was not going to be spending Christmas Day with us anyway (which is why we took a late offer on the cruise) but I did miss him more when I couldn't talk to him.

We had a lovely cruise but felt that, somehow, we had 'missed' Christmas. We would try it again, but only if my son could come too.