Buying Travel Ins AFTER Booking a Cruise

monicakm

I decided not to include travel ins this time but a few days after I booked and paid for my cruise (last Monday), I thought about the possibility of icy roads from NE Texas to Houston. Friday I called and asked if I could add it. They said no. Has anyone been able to add ins after you booked your cruise? If not do you know of a 3rd party that can/will sell travel ins? We leave on Feb 1.

Monica

Never mind. I called Princess again and asked to speak to a supervisor. She let me add the travel ins :) Thank you for your reply tho!

As you found out, the correct answer is yet. That said, I would recommend InsureMyTrip dot Com. There you get to compare travel policies from several insurance companies, and pick the one that is best for you. Also, I would recommend not purchasing travel insurance from the travel provider.

Never mind. I called Princess again and asked to speak to a supervisor. She let me add the travel ins :) Thank you for your reply tho!

Do realize that the terms and deductibles in the cruise line's policy will seldom be as good as independent providers like Travelex (and cost more).

More importantly, I hope you're including medical coverage (with that trip protection) sufficient to cover what your regular med policy does not. For example, Medicare A&B and many pension provided supplemental coverages are useless outside the US.

Last point: always good to purchase the insurance w/I the allowed time window for exemption of pre-existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's most likely not going to cover what you're most worried about which is icy roads and missing the cruise.

For insurance to pay under the Cancel For Any Reason portion, you must cancel at least 48 hours prior to beginning of travel. For this, reimbursement is only going to be 75% in the form of a future cruise credit.

For it to cover under trip interruption, you must make a good faith attempt to catch up to the ship. Not having passports to fly is not a covered excuse for not catching up to the ship. Therefore, you need passports, then you have to buy last minute airfare, then be allowed on the ship.

After you return, you can then file for reimbursement for expenses up to the max amount covered by the policy.

• 2 weeks later...
As you found out, the correct answer is yet. That said, I would recommend InsureMyTrip dot Com. There you get to compare travel policies from several insurance companies, and pick the one that is best for you. Also, I would recommend not purchasing travel insurance from the travel provider.

I ditto this. We went to that website for our last cruise and found it was so easy to navigate and compare options. Plus the prices were a lot cheaper than the cruise lines and you get more coverage for the price. I defniitely won't travel again without going through them.