summer price drops, experience with?

I booked ES last year with a travel agent and had MANY price drops (that I found myself and then had to ask the TA to submit.) I booked with the TA for OBC, which was reduced each time I got a price drop but still ended up being 100. And the price drop was over 700!

I am wondering how common price drops are, especially for the month of June.

Was it atypical for the rates to keep going down last year? All drops except a minor 30 dollar one were after final payment.

I know it is all tied to ship capacity, but what have the trends been in previous years? Are there even trends?

I am especially interested in June or July, Carnival cruisers!

(this is to help me decide whether the hassle of calling the TA repeatedly is worth OBC from them) The OBC is 300. I will check for price drops constantly....

We booked last April for June 2015 cruise and the price hasn't budged!

Its too soon.

April and May were when I got all of my price drops for June last year.

Though, I was thinking there might be a decrease in prices for "wave" season this month....I haven't booked yet, waiting to see if that is the case.

I booked a couple months ago for June on Magic. As of this morning I called and got $300 off of each of 2 OV. Cabins and $260 off a balcony. So, it does happen sometimes. My experience in the past has been that the prices for summer seem to go up, not down, so I booked really early this time. Who knew.

I booked a couple months ago for June on Magic. As of this morning I called and got $300 off of each of 2 OV. Cabins and $260 off a balcony. So, it does happen sometimes. My experience in the past has been that the prices for summer seem to go up, not down, so I booked really early this time. Who knew.

Also my experience, but I haven't watched Carnival rates in the past, only NCL. NCL doesn't have the early saver so I was happy to see prices climb, instead of plummet.

Hmmmm, guess the OBC is the way to go, based on your experience....

I find it fun to watch the prices!

i look at prices every day. By reading these boards one will think that all cruises come down in price. What we are not reading is the people probably booked later then I did at a higher price.

Upcoming cruise on the SPlendor got a lot of price drops but it still is 50.00 higher then what I paid.

i look at prices every day. By reading these boards one will think that all cruises come down in price. What we are not reading is the people probably booked later then I did at a higher price.

Upcoming cruise on the SPlendor got a lot of price drops but it still is 50.00 higher then what I paid.

How early do you book?

I am looking at the last possible moment for early saver, so five months out.

Have you noticed that prices go down before five months out? It doesn't really make sense that they would, but they could certainly go up from a year out....

• 4 weeks later...

All good info.

We are possibly looking at June 2016 cruise. Carnival's site only shows rates up to April 2016. Is it safe to say prices should be at or near the April rate for June? I know it depends on ship and destination, but in general is what im looking for.

Also, would it be best to deal with a Carnival agent rather than online for booking. I am looking "best" meaning: ease of refunding $$ if price drops, possible upgrades, and better rates overall.

Thanks all!!!

Your review are great and bring back memories from the good ole days.

All good info.

We are possibly looking at June 2016 cruise. Carnival's site only shows rates up to April 2016. Is it safe to say prices should be at or near the April rate for June? I know it depends on ship and destination, but in general is what im looking for.

Also, would it be best to deal with a Carnival agent rather than online for booking. I am looking "best" meaning: ease of refunding $$ if price drops, possible upgrades, and better rates overall.

Thanks all!!!

Yes, much better having a Carnival PVP, rather than booking online, imo.

All good info.

Thanks all!!!

From those who have booked by themselves, online, I have heard that price drops are often denied, when they shouldn't be, and then you resubmit, or call... which is a pain. Alerting a private TA is a little bit of a pain, but they did submit each price drop promptly for me, so as soon as I told them, my part was done. I didn't have to fuss with any denials or call again... I have heard that a good Carnival agent will also take care of price drops for you without hassle, after you alert them to one.

I booked with a private TA again for the OBC at booking, which Carnival wasn't offering. If no price drop, I am still "ahead" that much. If prices do drop, I know I will lose some of that OBC, but make it up in price drop OBC. I waffled about booking with a PVP (Carnival agent) or other TA, and in the end the offering of OBC at initial booking won me over.

We booked in March of 2014 for an 8 night cruise on the Breeze, July 4th.

We paid $4200 for 3 of us in a Lido Balcony, and we were FINE with the price.

Well, imagine our surprise, after MULTIPLE price drops, when it was all said and done, we ended up paying $2700 TOTAL.

Needless to say, we were ECSTATIC.:D:D:D:D

On my breeze cruise over Labor Day I received $490 in price drops and that was after going from 4J (obstructed view interior) to a deluxe OV after final payment date. I guess I booked pretty high. I just booked for December with the $99 deposit deal and that price was $300 less than what my final price drop on breeze was (both 8 days) so I'm not expecting much more on that one (booked 4J again, so I'd have to upgrade to take advantage)

I have always booked myself online until I booked our cruise for May of 2015. I booked ES with a TA for onboard credit. I have had to initiate the requests for both price drops, despite the initial promise that they "would check up to 6 times per day). It has been a bit of a hassle.

Side Note: As a former group tour coordinator and CLIA member, I have heard that last year there were more price drops than normal for Carnival, especially close to the sailing date. I was told that the $50 deposit with final payment due 30 days before sailing promo resulted in a higher than normal number of cancellations at the 30 day mark. I can tell you that I took full advantage of it myself and upgraded from an interior to a balcony for $40 during the upgrade sale that took place during the last week of April for our May 4 sailing.

I think it depends on the cabin you want. Insides and ocean view tend to go up. They also increase if you want three or four in a cabin. They tend to drop the more expensive cabins like balconies and suites. But again, that is only if they aren't selling because in the past they didn't have as many of these rooms.

Generally school and major holiday sailings go up. How much do you like to gamble? How important is the price and cabin location? Your answers to these decide for you.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app