Going to Labadee for the first time in June, what are the. Must do's?

Loralie

The beach from where you see the zip line is rocky, however, Columbus Cove is a much nicer beach where rocks are not a problem.

LAB2-vi.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this map. I wanted to describe going to Columbus Cove to the OP--but, was not sure how understandable I would be.

OP--if you look on the map of Labadee you will see that the beaches on the top of the peninsula are labeled with umbrellas. these are sunbathing beaches. The shoreline has lots of coral and waters shoes are needed. If you look along the lower side you will see the symbol of a swimmer on the beaches here. These are where you should swim. [barefoot beach is for suites]

For the meals either go to the BBQ behind Columbus Cove or by Dragon's Plaza. The Town Square location is VERY crowded and we have found them to run out of food.

I will add my vote to the Labadoozie. :)

Big Feet

That does not compute. I thought this little haven was a deal with the gov't and that you had to stay within a semi restrictive area. I only suggested the kayak as a way to skirt around this agreement and see something by ourselves. Are you telling me I can take a cab and go somewhere outside the twilight zone barrier?

Big Feet

That does not compute. I thought this little haven was a deal with the gov't and that you had to stay within a semi restrictive area. I only suggested the kayak as a way to skirt around this agreement and see something by ourselves. Are you telling me I can take a cab and go somewhere outside the twilight zone barrier?

When we went to Labadee in March, we did an excursion called "Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove & Break". I thought it was fantastic. We went on a boat ride with a guide to another cove & she explained how the people lived in Haiti. We saw examples of their homes & how they made some of their food. Then we had about 2 hours to relax & swim on a private beach. We also received 2 free drinks. We weren't into all the rides & crowds in Labadee so this excursion was terrific for us. I think the cost was $68 but it was well worth it to us. I would definitely go back there again.

Big Feet

No, you cannot leave the area. BigFeet was incorrect by saying you could take a cab into town.

There are excursions which leave Labadee and travel to a nearby sandbar/small island, or others which use kayaks/seedoos to travel around - but you are never really "on your own". There is always a guide with you. I'm not sure if you are thinking you can rent a kayak, and simple paddle a few miles down shore by yourself and see whatever you want - because that's not possible.

I think there will be a time when there are excursions to the Citadel and the Sans Souci Palace, since they are very close to Labadee - but the infrastructure is not yet there, and there are the obvious security considerations. Perhaps even one day we will see tours to the city of Cap Haitien(very beautiful city) which is also close. But, would not hold your breath for these. Haiti is too politically unstable right now (and has been for years).

We rented a cabana - Fun all day relaxation - It was cool being attended to by the cabin attendant all day..It wa really great.

I did the Jet Ski's - If you are not fearful of opening it up full throttle, it is a blast! :cool:

The zip line was one of the highlights of our cruise. In spite of the fact that it is expensive, we thought it was well worth it. The view from the top is FANTASTIC with the bay, the beach, the cruise ship docked far below. Take a video on the way down!

If at all possible, book online before you go and book early in the day. I understand that weather may sometimes cause them to shut it down later in the day.

When we were there, there were NO spots left to book once you arrived at Labadee. (We were on Allure.)

Ok..sorry about this..a question from a worry wart...and person that the mosquitoes like...how bad are they there..exercising caution here wothout giving up...but have chronic pain/arhritis issues and would not be good for anyone..but especially my type to get the "Chi...." virus...thanks in advance. I know the CDC just has a Level 1 waring for most Carribbean on this...thank you..I want an safe island day...will take the deet spray , spray over sunscreen etc.

Ok..sorry about this..a question from a worry wart...and person that the mosquitoes like...how bad are they there..exercising caution here wothout giving up...but have chronic pain/arhritis issues and would not be good for anyone..but especially my type to get the "Chi...." virus...thanks in advance. I know the CDC just has a Level 1 waring for most Carribbean on this...thank you..I want an safe island day...will take the deet spray , spray over sunscreen etc.

Mosquitos prefer the cooler parts of the day and night time. I lived in Haiti for 18 months a long time ago, and we only worried about them when we were sleeping at night. During the day, we never used spray because mosquitos don't like the heat and humidity and direct sunlight found during the waking hours.

We've been to Labadee 3 times, and had a shaded cabana twice - but never even saw a mosquito.

Edited by Toddcan

Mosquitos prefer the cooler parts of the day and night time. I lived in Haiti for 18 months a long time ago, and we only worried about them when we were sleeping at night. During the day, we never used spray because mosquitos don't like the heat and humidity and direct sunlight found during the waking hours.

We've been to Labadee 3 times, and had a shaded cabana twice - but never even saw a mosquito.

Thanks so much,,,I have read that this new virus is carried by one (with a tiger stripe) that likes the day and heat and 250,000 folks now have been infected in all Carribean....only those with issues seem to have the longer term joint affects...but I just don't hear that many having been bitten by a carrier here. I have also heard that winter months are better...

Thanks so much for your time and patience and experience... to you and all digrssing a little on this thread...great feedback...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

This entire thread is A+ stuff. Thank you all for the information. We have a two family party of eight heading on the May 31st Independence sailing and will be stopping in Labadee for the day. We will have three kids in that party of eight. Where would be a good location to set up home base for the day? The kids (ages 9-12) will be swimming in the ocean and also doing the water slide. I visited labadee almost 15 years ago and remember little of it. I was on my honeymoon at the time and my wife and I slept in that morning and just kind of wandered around that island that day for a couple hours My perfect scenario would be a place we could keep track of the kids, lay in the sun and also maybe hear the live music they are playing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by WhenIsLobsterNight

This entire thread is A+ stuff. Thank you all for the information. We have a two family party of eight heading on the May 31st Independence sailing and will be stopping in Labadee for the day. We will have three kids in that party of eight. Where would be a good location to set up home base for the day? The kids (ages 9-12) will be swimming in the ocean and also doing the water slide. Does anybody have a suggestion on a good place for us all to set up base for the day? I visited labadee almost 15 years ago and remember little of it. I was on my honeymoon at the time and my wife and I slept in that morning and just kind of wandered around that island that day for a couple hours Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you look at the map which someone has provided in this thread, you will see Dragon's Breath area (the red section close to the pier). This is where the waterslide is. But, the beach near to it, Adrenaline Beach is the rockiest of the 3 beaches, so is only "OK" for swimming.

The nicer beaches are Nellies (usually is crowded) and Columbus, which is the furthest away, and bigger then Nellies. Most first timers get off the ship, and find a shady spot with loungers as soon as they can. Consequently, they stop at Adrenaline or Nellies beach.

Additionally, I have read several people report back that the waterslide is not as great as it sounds. I've read that it's very hot to the touch (it's made of metal, and under the Caribbean sun gets very hot), and that people have reported getting stuck it half way down because of slower waterflow, etc. However, some have sad they enjoyed it. I woudl suggest that you head over to the ports of call forum, under Private Islands - that is where Labadee posts are supposed to go. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

After all of that - if you are determined to have a go at the waterslides, you can make the west end (closest to the ship) of Adrenaline Beach your home base for the day. Or.. if you skip the waterslide, and want a nicer beach, go to Columbus or Nellies

Since RCCL owns the island, is there a free lunch on the island?

Yes, the buffet lunches are at no cost. There are 3 lunch buffet areas open to all guest, and a 4th area available only to Suite /Pinnacle guests (or sometimes special considerations have been given to those renting a cabana - although that is hit or miss).

Just a little clarification, not a big deal, but Labadee is a penninsula. It's actually attached to the mainland Haiti. And Royal Caribbean leases the land, and does not own it.

If you look at the map which someone has provided in this thread, you will see Dragon's Breath area (the red section close to the pier). This is where the waterslide is. But, the beach near to it, Adrenaline Beach is the rockiest of the 3 beaches, so is only "OK" for swimming.

The nicer beaches are Nellies (usually is crowded) and Columbus, which is the furthest away, and bigger then Nellies. Most first timers get off the ship, and find a shady spot with loungers as soon as they can. Consequently, they stop at Adrenaline or Nellies beach.

Additionally, I have read several people report back that the waterslide is not as great as it sounds. I've read that it's very hot to the touch (it's made of metal, and under the Caribbean sun gets very hot), and that people have reported getting stuck it half way down because of slower waterflow, etc. However, some have sad they enjoyed it. I woudl suggest that you head over to the ports of call forum, under Private Islands - that is where Labadee posts are supposed to go. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

After all of that - if you are determined to have a go at the waterslides, you can make the west end (closest to the ship) of Adrenaline Beach your home base for the day. Or.. if you skip the waterslide, and want a nicer beach, go to Columbus or Nellies

Sorry! I have to retract most of this post - it's not correct information. The waterslide is on at Columbus beach, not Adrenaline Beach. Most certainly your best station to set up for the day is Columbus Beach if your kids will be using the waterslide.

Thanks for all the good information. I have a few questions right now.

1) How old or tall do you have to be to do the waterslide?

2) Do you have to be a swimmer to do the waterslide?

3) I'm sure my six-year old granddaughter would love to get her hair braided. How much is it, and do you need cash? Or can you sign for it?

I have seen young kids on the water slide 8-9 ish.

Did not know there was a height limit?

You do not need to be a swimmer to do slide, it ends in a long tub with a life guard attendant stationed there.

FYI

WE did the slide when it first opened on our Freedom cruise two years ago.

For $20 bucks per person it was a waste of money.

In fact somewhere on Labadee site is my review.

Save your money.

Now

If they increased the water flow it would be better.

You cannot see over the sides so the only view you get is minimal.

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

• 2 months later...

On our Dec 2013 cruise, we booked an excursion that was the private sandbar/island. Four 20 something kids and my DH (53) and myself (54) all LOVED this excursion. You take a boat to a very small island about 15-20 min ride I think. The island takes 10 min max to walk around. You get off the Back of the boat into the water about 3 ft deep. They have a few rafts for people to use. They have a couple vendors there with trinkets. We were at the beach about 50-55 min...not long enough. Went back and had about 2-3 hrs on the beach. Ate lunch on labadee. We wanted a cabana but all were booked so that's why we did the excursion. Everyone hands down would do this again. Only issue we had four people who were 20 min late so we think that's why we had less time on the island. Beautiful pictures of island and ship on the way back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My fair skin being prone to skin cancers makes it necessary for me to limit my exposure to the sun, so when we go to Labadee we regularly share a cabana rental with two other couples and are able to spend the entire day using the facilities. Beach mats, towels and water are provided without additional cost and there are personnel available to get you drinks which you can charge on your seapass card. A buffet lunch is also provided. Split among six people the cost of the cabana is IMO quite reasonable.