Forward or aft on Volendam?

mpat

I'm in the process of booking a 24 day South Pacific crossing to Australia on the Volendam. I plan to book an interior cabin and have a choice between a very forward cabin on the lower promenade or a very aft cabin on the main deck. I would appreciate any comments/opinions about whether to go forward or aft.

We were on Volendam LA to Sydney in an inside, Main deck but midship. Of your choices I see there's only one Inside room forward on Lower Promenade - L3308. It's a sideways room and may be very small. Being forward will have anchor noise but you will have more sea days than port days. We just got off Maasdam, Lower Promenade, bow partial obstructed, and had a LOT of noise in each port, anchor or thrusters. So, although I usually prefer that deck for proximity to the outside, I don't think that's a good choice.

So looking at Main deck aft you'll have close access to the outside door to the small very private aft deck but it is a noisy retreat with the wake noise. At least you'll have only rooms above and below you on Main deck; you'll be in "line" with a direct run up to the either the MDR or the Lido, and I think the ride will be better aft than in the bow.

So unless you can find out if there is some very good reason to take the bow location I'd opt for the aft choice.

Wishing you the best. The Pacific crossing was wonderful with many sea days for relaxing and then there are the Oh so beautiful islands.... ahhhh. A great cruise no matter what room! Enjoy, m--

We were on Volendam LA to Sydney in an inside, Main deck but midship. Of your choices I see there's only one Inside room forward on Lower Promenade - L3308. It's a sideways room and may be very small. Being forward will have anchor noise but you will have more sea days than port days. We just got off Maasdam, Lower Promenade, bow partial obstructed, and had a LOT of noise in each port, anchor or thrusters. So, although I usually prefer that deck for proximity to the outside, I don't think that's a good choice.

So looking at Main deck aft you'll have close access to the outside door to the small very private aft deck but it is a noisy retreat with the wake noise. At least you'll have only rooms above and below you on Main deck; you'll be in "line" with a direct run up to the either the MDR or the Lido, and I think the ride will be better aft than in the bow.

So unless you can find out if there is some very good reason to take the bow location I'd opt for the aft choice.

Wishing you the best. The Pacific crossing was wonderful with many sea days for relaxing and then there are the Oh so beautiful islands.... ahhhh. A great cruise no matter what room! Enjoy, m--

Thanks for the information RMLincoln! I was leaning toward the Main deck aft. Very excited about this cruise! We've never been to Australia. After this trip, we'll have made it to all of the continents except Antarctica (well, we were CLOSE to Antarctica when we did a South America cruise :) )

Edited by mpat
spelling

We were on Volendam in a partially obstructed view cabin in the forward area. We also heard sounds from the showroom at sea. We would have preferred aft - closer to the food!

Closer to the food is a good thing! :)

We were on Volendam in a partially obstructed view cabin in the forward area. We also heard sounds from the showroom at sea. We would have preferred aft - closer to the food!

Yes, I forgot to mention that! Thanks Ann. We had a lot of bass vibration during the shows and even the afternoon rehearsals - you should have heard and felt the stomping of the Flamenco dancers! :eek: The good news was that it did not go on very late as the shows were over by 11pm. m--

Are you sure you can't expand your choices? A more mid-ship cabin would be the most comfortable choice.

Without that option, I would always go for more aft than more forward for the smoother ride.