Power strips / Extension cords ??'s

seabum

Hi -

I've read a lot of posts recently where people said that their power strips and/or extension cords had been confiscated and held to the end of their trip.

I was just wondering - where these in your checked bags or carry on ?

I've always taken both in the past with no issues - for my fan and CPAP as well as so we can charge all our various devices - multiple cameras, kindle, tablets and MP3 players etc.

Shoot back in the day, I've even taken a mini travel blender with me -

Never had an issue in the past - but now am getting concerned. Of course a CPAP is medical so they'd have to provide something if they take my cord.....

Thanks for your input / comments

Edited by seabum
spelling

We put cords and fan in checked bags with no problems. But the contract says they can be confiscated, so we are aware it could happen. If you are really concerned about your CPAP, put it in your checked bag and bring a medical excuse. That way if something happens, you'll know and can prevent it.

We had no problem on the Elation in September. I've seen some say their power strips were confiscated as well, but all responses said to a new one and there would be no issue. Walmart sells one for less than $5. They are in the checkout aisles in our area. I don't know about other ships, but Elation has only one plug in the cabins!! And it's a single plug, not a double (standard) plug!!! I've also asked if during drydock, which started the day we disembarked, they did not make any upgrades/changes related to this. I'm planning on taking a small fan on our upcoming cruise, again on Elation, because our room was warmer than I like. I agree with Davey Wavey to get a medical excuse for your CPAP. My MIL had an oxygen concentrator and portable tanks, with prescription from doctor and there was no issue. The concentrator did, however, have to be "checked out" by the ship's personnel before it was delivered to the cabin later that day.

First extension cords are NOT prohibited items. This question come up every few months in one form or another. Yes, Carnival can confiscate them if it is felt they are a safety risk. I know this was not part of OP question but I also know from experience with this board someone will post that extension cords are not allowed.

On one of our family cruises we had a new, still in the package, power cord in three suitcases. (each assigned to a different room). One was confiscated with a form note that said a prohibited item was removed. The other two remained. So as to if it will be confiscated or not? There really was no rhyme or reason with that cruise.

Since your extension cord is for a medical device, my suggestion is that the c-pap and power cord be in your carry on. I have seen too many stories about missing luggage to chance something like that in checked luggage.

Happy cruising.

I have always packed a power strip in my carryon luggage and have not had a problem. If they don't want folks to bring these I suggest they install more outlets in the room. The ships with one outlet are crazy, I believe new ships like the Magic have two. Either way I will already have one plug occupied to charge the Camp Carnival phone...so that limits options already.