Liberty or Pride?

JohnLocke2012

Considering a 7 night in March. Have never sailed.Carnival, but have been on pretty much all of the other lines. Between the Liberty or the Pride which would you guys recommend? Which ship would you say is nicer? How about food? Any insight would be great. Prices and itinerary are almost identical, so it all comes down to the ship. Thanks!

I have been on both, in fact, cruising on the Pride again in a couple of months. The Liberty is a larger class of ship, although the Pride now has the 2.0 upgrades. Maybe choose by itinerary - any ports you haven't visited yet ?

I haven't been on either, but I have been on sister ships to both. I greatly prefer ships like the Liberty, but many people around here greatly prefer ships like Pride. There are positives & negatives to both, and much of it will depend on your personality. Both ships have good food options. Liberty has the fish n chips spot that Pride won't have. Both ships have 3 pools & 1 nice waterslide.

The Pride (and sister ships) has the best public space to guest ratio of any Carnival ship, so it's the least crowded, and it is noticeable. The ships are set up very different from each other. Pride scatters the nighttime entertainment venues all over the ship, so some spots you may never find. Or even if you do, many guests on board will never find some of the spots, even things that they would have enjoyed going to. Some people like this, as it becomes a treasure hunt for the elusive dance club or whatever, and you might get the joy of finding the hidden treasure. The downside is that it won't have as much activity because of the people that don't find it. On the Liberty, everything is very straight-forward, very simple & easy to find everything. No hunting. Dining on decks 3 & 4, entertainment mostly on deck 5.

When I sailed a sister ship to the Pride, it was a pretty dead ship. Most people went to bed early, or even when they were out, they kept to themselves. It was very laid back. Some people really like that about these ships. I prefer a more active ship, where people are getting involved in what's going on. My cruises on sister ships to the Liberty had this. I think the layout of the ships tend to contribute to the differences. Younger or more active or more social people tend to prefer ships like Liberty over ships like Pride.

I think Pride got Playlist Productions in it's recent drydock. I don't like these stage shows nearly as much as what Liberty has, and it would seem that most people feel the same. Liberty's shows are an hour long, have a live showband, use 14 or more on-stage performers, & have real props. With Pride's shows, they are only 30 minutes, use 8 or fewer performers that are asked to do too much, have no live music at all, and no props. Some people like Playlist shows just because it's a change, but almost everyone who enjoys a decent show prefers the style that Liberty has.

Edited by k2excursion

Considering a 7 night in March. Have never sailed.Carnival, but have been on pretty much all of the other lines. Between the Liberty or the Pride which would you guys recommend? Which ship would you say is nicer? How about food? Any insight would be great. Prices and itinerary are almost identical, so it all comes down to the ship. Thanks!

I have never been on the Pride but I have been on the Liberty and of the three times on her I have had an amazing time.

Food on the Liberty is the new menu called American table I am unsure if the pride offers the old menu - I prefer the older menu however I never went Hungry in the fourteen days I was on her last year.

Out of interest what ports do both ships go to? This will probably be the decision maker

I would pick the 3/22 sailing of the Liberty that goes from Port Canaveral to San Juan. It's the cheapest of the month and with the savings you can offset any possible price increase flying home from Puerto Rico. It also stops at Tortola, which is an unusual port for Carnival to visit and you can tour the Baths at Virgin Gorda, a place on my bucket list.Edit....There is a pack n go plus rate for 899.70 out the door for 2 including taxes, plus 50 in OBC.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Just got off the Liberty NYE cruise, love the ship! The Liberty is newer than the Pride and bigger. The ship is clean, the staff is amazing, the food wonderful and entertainment was good.

PC is an easy port to get to and get through (get FTTF and it will be a breeze), we had balcony deck 7 mid ship, perfect!!!! You cannot go wrong with the Liberty....:D

We have been on both, and to tell you the truth, you can't go wrong with either choice. Myself, I prefer the Spirit Class ships, which the Pride is, because it's smaller,(90,000 grt isn't small!), therefore less crowded. Because of the design, passenger flow is the best in the fleet. The Serenity areas are also the best in the fleet, except for maybe the Sunshine, and include a pool. Having sailed on this class of ships 8 times, I strongly disagree in regards to the above comment about them being "dead" ships. There was plenty of action and fun late into the night when we went. Now, with the Pride just receiving the 2.0 upgrades, that would be my choice.

That being said, we also loved the Liberty, and she is our favorite of the larger ships. Her Garden Atrium is the prettiest in the Carnival fleet. We also loved the wrought iron chandeliers, railings, and accents. She's a beautiful ship!!

Edited by Jamman54

I haven't been on either, but I have been on sister ships to both. I greatly prefer ships like the Liberty, but many people around here greatly prefer ships like Pride. There are positives & negatives to both, and much of it will depend on your personality. Both ships have good food options. Liberty has the fish n chips spot that Pride won't have. Both ships have 3 pools & 1 nice waterslide.

The Pride (and sister ships) has the best public space to guest ratio of any Carnival ship, so it's the least crowded, and it is noticeable. The ships are set up very different from each other. Pride scatters the nighttime entertainment venues all over the ship, so some spots you may never find. Or even if you do, many guests on board will never find some of the spots, even things that they would have enjoyed going to. Some people like this, as it becomes a treasure hunt for the elusive dance club or whatever, and you might get the joy of finding the hidden treasure. The downside is that it won't have as much activity because of the people that don't find it. On the Liberty, everything is very straight-forward, very simple & easy to find everything. No hunting. Dining on decks 3 & 4, entertainment mostly on deck 5.

When I sailed a sister ship to the Pride, it was a pretty dead ship. Most people went to bed early, or even when they were out, they kept to themselves. It was very laid back. Some people really like that about these ships. I prefer a more active ship, where people are getting involved in what's going on. My cruises on sister ships to the Liberty had this. I think the layout of the ships tend to contribute to the differences. Younger or more active or more social people tend to prefer ships like Liberty over ships like Pride.

I think Pride got Playlist Productions in it's recent drydock. I don't like these stage shows nearly as much as what Liberty has, and it would seem that most people feel the same. Liberty's shows are an hour long, have a live showband, use 14 or more on-stage performers, & have real props. With Pride's shows, they are only 30 minutes, use 8 or fewer performers that are asked to do too much, have no live music at all, and no props. Some people like Playlist shows just because it's a change, but almost everyone who enjoys a decent show prefers the style that Liberty has.

I think whether or not you said on a "dead" ship is more due to the itinerary, and time of year than the ship. We sailed the Freedom on an 8 night Eastern Caribbean cruise and it was DEAD. It was also in October when most kids are in school so parents can't cruise, and it was 8 nights so many younger people or families cannot get off work for that long. So we shared the ship with a bunch of retirees who went to bed early. That doesn't mean that the Freedom is always a "dead" ship.

If you said you sailed on a sister ship to the pride, you might mean an alaska cruise, and I've heard those cruised are VERY laid back with an older crowd. You will have this any time you sail 1) a more expensive itinerary, 2) itinerary that is long, or 3) isn't during summer or another hot vacation time (off season).

Edited by jetta8300

The itineraries are almost identical for the week I'm looking, so that isn't playing too much into my decision. For me, it's all about the ship first. I've always been hesitant to cruise on Carnival based on things I've heard second hand, but would like to make my own decision. Can anyone explain the new American menu that you guys are talking about on the Liberty? How does dining on Carnival compare to RCCL/NCL/Celebrity? I guess I'm leaning towards the Liberty, although more public space per passenger is a huge selling point for the Pride.

We have been on both, and to tell you the truth, you can't go wrong with either choice. Myself, I prefer the Spirit Class ships, which the Pride is, because it's smaller,(90,000 grt isn't small!), therefore less crowded. Because of the design, passenger flow is the best in the fleet. The Serenity areas are also the best in the fleet, except for maybe the Sunshine, and include a pool. Having sailed on this class of ships 8 times, I strongly disagree in regards to the above comment about them being "dead" ships. There was plenty of action and fun late into the night when we went. Now, with the Pride just receiving the 2.0 upgrades, that would be my choice.

That being said, we also loved the Liberty, and she is our favorite of the larger ships. Her Garden Atrium is the prettiest in the Carnival fleet. We also loved the wrought iron chandeliers, railings, and accents. She's a beautiful ship!!

I have also been on both, and agree completely with Jamman54.

The Pride 'flows' better and far less crowds.

If the itinerary is the same, I would pick the 'cheapest' in terms of transportation to get there, and the cost of the cabin....

Other than that, they are both wonderful, and you won't be disappointed either way....

Can anyone explain the new American menu that you guys are talking about on the Liberty?
Below is a link to some of the American Menu choices. The roll out has had mixed reviews so far. http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/AT_AF/liberty/western/libertyWestern.htm Edited by SNJCruisers

Below is a link to some of the American Menu choices. The roll out has had mixed reviews so far. http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/AT_AF/liberty/western/libertyWestern.htm

Seems pretty standard to me. Unsure of how this is different from their last menu, but seems pretty much industry standard. Thanks for all the help CC users, you guys are awesome! Looking forward to cruising with Carnival, although I'm still undecided on the ship.

I have sailed both, and although I loved the Liberty I would choose Pride over her. The décor is better on Liberty, but Pride just had a dry dock that added many 2.0 features to her and she has a GREAT Serenity deck with an adults only pool in it. Her layout is also easier to navigate.

I think whether or not you said on a "dead" ship is more due to the itinerary, and time of year than the ship. We sailed the Freedom on an 8 night Eastern Caribbean cruise and it was DEAD. It was also in October when most kids are in school so parents can't cruise, and it was 8 nights so many younger people or families cannot get off work for that long. So we shared the ship with a bunch of retirees who went to bed early. That doesn't mean that the Freedom is always a "dead" ship.

If you said you sailed on a sister ship to the pride, you might mean an alaska cruise, and I've heard those cruised are VERY laid back with an older crowd. You will have this any time you sail 1) a more expensive itinerary, 2) itinerary that is long, or 3) isn't during summer or another hot vacation time (off season).

It sometimes can have something to do with itinerary & time of year, like in your case with Freedom, but not in my case. It was not Alaska. It was the Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale on the Miracle (sister to the Pride) during Spring Break season. Plenty of young people on board; many many young adults around my age. And the ship was dead. I have heard many reports from other people that these Spirit class ships are more laid back (to put it a nicer way), where the people don't get involved as much, just keeping to themselves more. I have been on several cruises at very low demand times, with hardly any kids or young adults on board, and those ships were much more lively than the Miracle. People were getting involved in things that were going on. And I've been on a few other cruises with tons of young people on board, and those were also much more lively than the Miracle. Reading other reports from many people sailing Spirit class ships, added to my experience, makes it seem that these ships lend themselves to be more laid back & quiet. This could be exactly what someone is looking for, resulting in their most favorite cruise of all time. It depends on what each person wants. I like it more lively, but many people prefer it more quiet.

JohnLocke, there can always be sailings where the atmosphere is different from the norm, so it's not a guarantee that Liberty will be more lively, but it gives you a bit of an idea of what it might be. The itineraries are almost identical, but I would certainly take Grand Cayman any day over Nassau. So, I guess I threw you a curve there, since that part favors Pride.

Just cruised the Liberty this past September with my family and last february was on the Legend (sister ship to Pride). The legend felt crowded on the first sea day because everyone on the ship was looking for a deck chair but after that, it almost seemed like there was nobody on the ship. That was kinda nice. Now that the pride has Guys burgers (eat at least one every day) green thunder, Alchemy bar, Sushi Red Frog Pub, EA sports Bar etc, I would choose Pride. In fact, I am booked on the pride Feb 15th.The stadium style Lido deck is annoying to me and seems like not a good use of space. Crowds werent as bad on liberty as Dream class ships but were apparent at peak times in common areas.

Now Port Canaveral beats port of Tampa every day of the week! PC has it down whereas Tampa seems disorganized to say the least. Plus Tampa has the threat of fog. We didnt debark until 1 PM on our Feb 2014 cruise. Not that i am complaining te be on the ship for several more hours but people with early flights were not happy to say the least.

Liberty does however, have the new MDR menu which i like better.

You really cant go wrong with either on of these. I had an absolute blast on both.

Hope I haven't confused you . ;)

It sometimes can have something to do with itinerary & time of year, like in your case with Freedom, but not in my case. It was not Alaska. It was the Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale on the Miracle (sister to the Pride) during Spring Break season. Plenty of young people on board; many many young adults around my age. And the ship was dead. I have heard many reports from other people that these Spirit class ships are more laid back (to put it a nicer way), where the people don't get involved as much, just keeping to themselves more. I have been on several cruises at very low demand times, with hardly any kids or young adults on board, and those ships were much more lively than the Miracle. People were getting involved in things that were going on. And I've been on a few other cruises with tons of young people on board, and those were also much more lively than the Miracle. Reading other reports from many people sailing Spirit class ships, added to my experience, makes it seem that these ships lend themselves to be more laid back & quiet. This could be exactly what someone is looking for, resulting in their most favorite cruise of all time. It depends on what each person wants. I like it more lively, but many people prefer it more quiet.

JohnLocke, there can always be sailings where the atmosphere is different from the norm, so it's not a guarantee that Liberty will be more lively, but it gives you a bit of an idea of what it might be. The itineraries are almost identical, but I would certainly take Grand Cayman any day over Nassau. So, I guess I threw you a curve there, since that part favors Pride.

Thanks so much! I agree, Grand Cayman is a much better stop than Nassau. I like the fact that you said the Pride is less.crowded, I definitely prefer that. Just got to wait for my time off time off to be approved, then I'll be ready to book

Green thunder is the new waterslide that you step into a tube and the floor drops out from under you. I tried it on the legend. It is AWESOME!

Seems like it's only on the Legend and the Spirit at this time, but, alas, I would be excluded because of the 300# weight limit.