Toddlers using the pool. Your experience?

Athenacat

My 2 and 3 year olds love the pool. Both are potty trained, and both did learn to doggie paddle and float. Does anyone have experience in taking the kids to the pool. Best practices, tips, or suggestions? I will probably try to scope out the best pool, and try to use it when only if I deem it safe. Both my husband and I use life jackets on the kids, and I am more guarded than my husband who would probably let them down the slide if it wasn't forbidden.

If you go on a ship that has a 2nd pool other than the main pool, such as an aft pool, that isn't adult only, that will most likely be your best bet! Our last cruise on the Carnival Dream my 5 yo enjoyed swimming in the aft pool. The main was too crowded for her. My 3 yo isn't really a swimmer but did enjoy the splash area and little toddler water slides. :) have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our three year old dd has been on three cruises since she was potty trained. Although she can swim fairly well in a normal pool, the ship pools are so wavy that we have her wear a puddle jumper. It was great. I just make sure she doesn't jump in and splash other adults or get in the way of people swimming laps. It was fine and she fit in like everyone else in the pool. There was one pool designated adults and we didn't go in that one.

If the ship is moving, swimming can be difficult for little ones with the motion of the water. Most of the regular pools have little, if any, shallow end (accessed by a ladder rather than steps). I'd def. use a floatie of some kind on sea days in the regular pools.

All the best,

Mia