New York to Canada 5 days (July)

Jeffrey1950

Happy New Year !!

Well, everyone it's that time again to start the should I or should I not. So again, I ask for your thoughts. The five day to Halifax...how many of you really think it is worth the cost for really only two full days at sea. I mean do you really feel it is worth it for this trip, oh I am so tempted, just cannot make up my mind. It is either this or a Transatlantic.....How many of you get off in Boston or do you just stay on board during this port visit? Booking an inside instead of a balcony would of cost keep the cost down a little...oh, what to do ???

Looking forward to your replies !!!

Hi Jeffery. In past years, the 5 night July QM2 voyage was often called the Fourth of July cruise. It was very popular (despite being rather pricey), consequently rarely were last minute price reductions offered. My experiences of the 4th of July cruises were good.

However, this year, the cruise does not include many of the festivities that we experienced on past July QM2 4th of July cruises, for the obvious reason that the cruise doesn't take place over the holiday. So, no one can answer your question about how many passengers go ashore in Boston vs how many remain on board.

There are very few cruises (not counting transatlantic crossings) that Cunard offers as round trip NY; the July cruise is the only 'short' voyage. I'm thinking that since there is no past history to refer to regarding this cruise - how will work out is anybody's guess.

If you have the time to sail across the pond and don't mind flying back, perhaps a crossing works best for you. On the other hand, if you have limited time and want to try something new (the itinerary at that time of July will be new for everyone on board), then maybe the July cruise would do nicely.

As you can see, I'm really bad at giving advice. But I wish you a happy voyage, whatever you decide!

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Happy New Year !!

Well, everyone it's that time again to start the should I or should I not. So again, I ask for your thoughts. The five day to Halifax...how many of you really think it is worth the cost for really only two full days at sea. I mean do you really feel it is worth it for this trip, oh I am so tempted, just cannot make up my mind. It is either this or a Transatlantic.....How many of you get off in Boston or do you just stay on board during this port visit? Booking an inside instead of a balcony would of cost keep the cost down a little...oh, what to do ???

Looking forward to your replies !!!

Happy New Year to you too.

I've done the 4, 5 and 7 day versions of the New England/Canada cruise several times. Opt for the transatlantic crossing. The Canada cruises are a yawn in comparison.

;)

I have found I now prefer the transatlantic crossings. I had booked the 14-day Canada/NE for late September but when I thought about it I realized that I've been to all those ports before and would prefer the sea days so that has been changed to a B2B TA.

Boston, Halifax, etc. are lovely cities but it is a case of been there, done that. I am never bored on a crossing.

I guess you have to decide how much you like days at sea and could you do it for 6 days.

Jeffrey, I beg to differ with the others. I have been on the 5 day cruise to Halifax ( September 2008) in the past and will be on the july 2015 cruise. It was fabulous! Since it will be summer, opt for a balcony cabin. You can enjoy meals on your deck, and watch the stars at night. I am planning a trip to Peggys Cove in Halifax this time, but may skip Boston and enjoy the amenities in the Spa area, the Library, swimming, and taking photos. There will be 2 good lecturers on this cruise. If you book before 2.28.15 you can get perks from the 175th anniversary package deal. And since I am 3 hrs from NYC, no plane fare involved. Whatever you decide, you wont be disappointed.

Jeffrey, I beg to differ with the others. I have been on the 5 day cruise to Halifax ( September 2008) in the past and will be on the july 2015 cruise. It was fabulous! Since it will be summer, opt for a balcony cabin. You can enjoy meals on your deck, and watch the stars at night. I am planning a trip to Peggys Cove in Halifax this time, but may skip Boston and enjoy the amenities in the Spa area, the Library, swimming, and taking photos. There will be 2 good lecturers on this cruise. If you book before 2.28.15 you can get perks from the 175th anniversary package deal. And since I am 3 hrs from NYC, no plane fare involved. Whatever you decide, you wont be disappointed.

neukruizer, will the library be open on port days? From my experience, the hours are limited.

"Enjoy meals on your deck"? - If it is a Britannia Category Balcony cabin, that would mean ordering from the limited room service menu - and the tray will be deposited in the cabin. More often that not, the weather from Boston to Halifax and back is not conducive to 'dining on the balcony' due to heavy fog/chilly weather, but I have found that the weather is favourable in the afternoon.

"Whatever you decide, you wont be disappointed" that's very affirmative, but not necessarily true. - Just keeping it real:) Ya pays yer money and ya takes your chances...and in the case of the 5 night QM2 July cruise, the fare is a premium rate when compared to a transatlantic crossing - why the fares for this short cruise are so much higher per diem, I have no idea :confused:

Regards,

Salacia

Je Suis Charlie

Edited by Salacia

My last short 5 day trip to Halifax was during hurricane Ernesto. Spent the evening having martinis in the commordore club while ship was rocking. By day 2, weather was fine to enjoy the balcony. Room service menu had plenty of selections. Heck, it was adventurous and fun even sitting out in the storm. Since I cant take 2 weeks off in my job for a TA, dont have to pay for both trips, any no plane fare, I was still saving money, even if fare was pricey. I dont recall library hours on port day since I spent that day at the Maritime Museum in Halifax. Weather can always be unpredictable, no matter where you cruise. Any trip on QM2 is great.