From Celebrity S-Class to RC Serenade of the Seas

csg0325

Hi all!

Our three most recent cruises have been on Celebrity (Solstice, Eclipse, and Silhouette). We took my parents on the Silhouette in December, it was their first cruise in twenty years.

They're looking into a December Eastern Caribbean itinerary on Royal's Serenade and we will possibly go along. We haven't cruised with Royal in quite awhile, our last experience being on the Enchantment.

While that was nice at the time (in our younger days, mid-20s), we have enjoyed Celebrity. The staterooms, the ambiance, the artwork, not a lot of kids. All classy and modern. The food has been very good as well.

Just wanted to reach out to those who have sailed on Celebrity and also RC's Serenade, or similar ship, to get opinions. Would we survive? ;)

We seem to alternate between X and RC depending on whether our daughter is with us. Our latest X cruises have been on Solstice, Silhouette and Eclipse and latest RC have been on Serenade of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas. We have enjoyed both experiences, although we do notice some differences.

IMHO, the S-class ships definitely have a more modern, sophisticated and adult ambiance. We think that X cuisine is a level above RC, and really, really appreciate the scarcity of announcements throughout the day. When we travel as a couple, we are all about rest and relaxation, so appreciate the more calm atmosphere on X.

That said, we have also loved our cruises on RC's Radiance-class ships, particularly the spectacular sea views afforded by all the glass (especially the glass elevators overlooking the sea!) I have not sailed on Enchantment, but the Radiance-class ships are much more new and modern. We perceive there to be a greater amount of activities on RC and a more lively nightlife. Although we don't like it as much as X, we enjoy the food on RC, especially the specialty restaurants. One annoyance on RC is having to check out pool towels vs. having them available as needed on X.

We have experienced great service on both lines, would call that a tie. Cabin size seems like a draw also, although the furnishings on X are more modern. If I had to draw a comparison to hotel chains, I find the S-class ships to remind me of W Hotels and the Radiance-class on RC to be more like a Marriott.

So yes, I think that you will survive just fine! I would not hesitate to sail on the Serenade with the right itinerary and company!

Hi all!

Our three most recent cruises have been on Celebrity (Solstice, Eclipse, and Silhouette). We took my parents on the Silhouette in December, it was their first cruise in twenty years.

They're looking into a December Eastern Caribbean itinerary on Royal's Serenade and we will possibly go along. We haven't cruised with Royal in quite awhile, our last experience being on the Enchantment.

While that was nice at the time (in our younger days, mid-20s), we have enjoyed Celebrity. The staterooms, the ambiance, the artwork, not a lot of kids. All classy and modern. The food has been very good as well.

Just wanted to reach out to those who have sailed on Celebrity and also RC's Serenade, or similar ship, to get opinions. Would we survive? ;)

It's been several years since we sailed on Celebrity, but we have fond recollections of our experience on the Summit. The food, the service and the atmosphere were all first-rate. We have sailed on RCCL the past 3 times, the Serenade being our last cruise last winter. RCCL is a step down from Celebrity, especially when it comes to the food. I'm not picky, and by no means a gourmet, but I actually lost weight on all 3 RCCL cruises! The customer service ethos isn't quite the same, either; we were especially perturbed when we had our day at the private island, and the Monarch of the Seas was there, too. The Monarch was in the midst of a norovirus outbreak, and the Serenade crew didn't inform the passengers of that fact, risking potential contamination. We're going back to Celebrity (we sail on the Silhouette in 4 days, and have another booked farther out).