Carnival Paradise - New Year's Eve

cfitch

My husband and I celebrated his birthday by taking our second cruise of 2014 which departed from Tampa on December 27.

We spent the night before at the Doubtree-Westshore (very nice, love the cookies) which includes parking for up to 14 days on their pack and go rate. We did have to pay separately for the taxi to the port but this hotel was well worth it. There is this quaint little bar on the ground level that serves pretty good pub style food and has ice-cold beer on tap. The bartender had a great personality and there were plenty of TVs to watch all of the football games.

When we arrived to check-in to the hotel it was packed. The Saints football team alumni was staying there that night and so were the fans of the teams playing in the Outback Bowl. Even with it being busy the staff was quick to check us in and they managed the crowd very well. We didn't hear any noise in our room at all that night.

They also have a very nice buffet breakfast in a on-site restaurant. Again, this was a nice place to start our vacation.

Now on to a short review of the cruise:

We took a taxi to the port around 10:30am. You can walk right up to the port and there is shopping just outside. The strap of my carry-on broke the night before and I needed a new bag.

We walked into the port around 11:30 and embarkation was simple. We checked in by a carnival team member that was being trained, got our S&S cards and a zone 2 sign. Priority boarding started around 12 and we were on by 12:10.

We decided to buy the Cheers! program this time. It was the first thing on our to-do list. We went immediately to the atrium bar and started the order process. After a few minutes, and with our first drink in our hand, we started exploring. All of the Christmas decorations were up. I do have to say that I prefer the design of the interior of Paradise over Fascination (out of Jacksonville). I think the tones are more subtle and not as gaudy.

We explored the ship from top to bottom. There were servers everywhere handing out champagne. There were also plenty of people drinking it and getting slightly drunk pretty early (which can be fun to watch). My husband and I grabbed a quick bite from the Paris restaurant on Lido and then found a nice spot in the Serenity area to read our books. It was a cooler day when we woke up but by the time we sat in Serenity I was regretting wearing Jeans and boots.

Our room was ready by 1:30 and it was nice. We ate dinner in the main dinning room every night except one and had breakfast there as well. The food was really good and I was happy with all that we had. We liked being seated with the same people every night and we had WONDERFUL wait staff which we tipped extra.

We made some new friends on this trip and it seemed to give us more to do. We had a lot of fun. In regards to the Cheers! program, I never came close to the maximum drinks and hardly broke even. My husband had 14/15 drinks one day but also barely broke even the rest of the time. We will not buy this again.

We loved Grand Cayman and Cozumel. In both ports we took a taxi to the beach and used our own snorkel gear. Next time we will plan an excursion for Cozumel to be able to snorkel the reef area.

The staff on board the Paradise did a great job. There were only a couple of things that could be improved. First, our steward had a habit of touching my personal things which irritated me. She was never around for me to ask her to stop. Every time she was in our room we would come back and find that everything I had placed on the sink counter in the bathroom was tossed into the vanity (including my toothbrush which was sitting on a bar of soap-yuck!) and all of our papers on the small desk area were piled up in one corner. Other than that the room was kept clean.

The entertainment: The comedians were great! The comedy club director "Fluffy" was amazing. The shows: They had a country show with a male and female singer and about 10 dancers. It was ok. The female singer could really sing. The male singer was a bit karaoke-ish to me. The dancers were good. The show as a whole was only ok. The cruise director can really play a fiddle.

The second show, Shout!, did not appeal to us and we left after about 10 minutes.

The cruise director was very vanilla. Our last cruise in July was on Fascination and Jace was the cruise director and he was amazing!

Since we were on a sea day for New Year's Eve they had a second Elegant night and were handing out more glasses of free champagne.

Overall the experience was great and has us ready to pick our next itinerary! Thank you Carnival for a wonderful vacation.

Photos to follow.

Edited by cfitch

How was the guy who made the boarding announcements?

I am not sure what his name was but he was a character. He kept directing people away from the boarding path so that the currently called zone could board. Sounded like a radio personality type voice. He made quick work of it all and made it fun.

I am not sure what his name was but he was a character. He kept directing people away from the boarding path so that the currently called zone could board. Sounded like a radio personality type voice. He made quick work of it all and made it fun.

Nice review - do you have any pics?

Why thank you and this is where "that guy" :rolleyes: makes those announcements at Port Tampa Bay!

10897799_1529566683979971_5368925061407093038_n.jpg?oh=e2a3c6cf3682c3624e816727b7351eee&oe=554032E1

As we will be on the Paradise next month I enjoyed reading your review, thanks for sharing.

I, too, would be annoyed if our room steward bothered our personal belongings. I would leave them a note asking them to stop.

Looking forward to your pictures. :)

As soon as I get on ship & unpack I put my teeth stuff in the large water glass just like at home, my Q-tip go in a wine glass. ;)

We had one steward that just wouldn't leave them sit on the sink. Of course I NUTTED UP & was told that they are trained to put it all in the med cab. so that it won't slide off in high seas. Of course my answer was when we hit the waves I will put my stuff away. :D

And that was the end of that story.

Char

We were on paradise for the New Years Day departure. Our steward actually threw away papers& stuff we were collecting on the desk in our cabin! I've never had one do more than stack the papers neatly. I'm still hoping nothing important was thrown out. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on paradise for the New Years Day departure. Our steward actually threw away papers& stuff we were collecting on the desk in our cabin! I've never had one do more than stack the papers neatly. I'm still hoping nothing important was thrown out. :(

Was your steward ' s name Joan?

OP -

We were on the Fascination last year and Jase was the assistant CD. He was very personable then and I'm sure he makes a great CD.

We are sailing on the Paradise in February and I'm hoping we have a good CD. Wasn't impressed at all with ours on the Sunshine this past October!

Do you remember which deck you embarked and disembarked on?

Thanks for the review!

This is so cool that an actual "person in charge" is posting here! I love knowing you're actually reading! What a great way for someone who actually makes the magic happen to get some feedback and, hopefully, use it constructively. YOU GO, Captain Carnival! :) My next cruise is on the Dream in March----wish you were on that ship! Have a fabulous day!

OP -

We were on the Fascination last year and Jase was the assistant CD. He was very personable then and I'm sure he makes a great CD.

We are sailing on the Paradise in February and I'm hoping we have a good CD. Wasn't impressed at all with ours on the Sunshine this past October!

Do you remember which deck you embarked and disembarked on?

Thanks for the review!

Embarkation has you walking right into the atrium area so that would be Empress.

This is so cool that an actual "person in charge" is posting here! I love knowing you're actually reading! What a great way for someone who actually makes the magic happen to get some feedback and, hopefully, use it constructively. YOU GO, Captain Carnival! :) My next cruise is on the Dream in March----wish you were on that ship! Have a fabulous day!

I agree. It is nice to know that the announcer is here from the port. His tone was a great way to start my vacation. :) I have seen other posts about Port Tampa Bay that indicated people had issues there. I had a wonderful experience. Everyone was nice, there was plenty of space, and they were quick with embarkation and debarkation. I would definitely cruise from this port again.

Was your steward ' s name Joan?

No, it was Franciscus. He also neglected to put the disembark instructions & luggage tags in our room. We realized after we saw no luggage in the hallways after 11:00 when we went to our cabin prepared to put our luggage out (already packed). Had to get tags from guest services & hope housekeeping got our bags at some point...they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both embark and debark take place on deck 7 (Empress Deck) here at Port Tampa Bay.

Thanks so much!

Maybe you can answer another question.

We sail on February 7th on the Paradise.

What time should we arrive at the port? We like to board as soon as possible and have actually purchased FTTF this trip.

It was just mass chaos the last time we sailed out of Tampa on the Legend in 2012 so we are hoping for a smoother embarkation this time.

Also, everyone has gotten me concerned about fog in February. Any thoughts on that?

Once again - thanks!

Can't wait to hear your announcements!

What time should we arrive at the port? We like to board as soon as possible and have actually purchased FTTF this trip.

Also, everyone has gotten me concerned about fog in February. Any thoughts on that?

Can't wait to hear your announcements!

Boarding begins "roughly" between 11:15 & 11:30 and as you have FTTF I would arrive around 10:30ish.

As for the fog...we will see.

See you at the microphone then!