Gratuity on Free Ultimate Beverage Package

biguntx

I recieved the promo on my Sept sailing and we still had to pay the 18% gratuities....just letting peolr know, while I believe it will still be a great savings by trips end, some may not agree....I prepaid them already so no extra surprises at the end

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Do you have any more information about this? Is there similar 'premium selections' on the Le Bistro menu, as this is another a la carte venue?

The two premium selections added to Cagneys are a whole Maine lobster and a 32oz steak. Both are an additional $10 each.

La Cucina also added two items. A lobster pasta dish and something else if memory serves. Both are $8 extra.

Le Bistro has three premium selections, but I think all three were already there. Also $10 each.

I recieved the promo on my Sept sailing and we still had to pay the 18% gratuities....just letting peolr know, while I believe it will still be a great savings by trips end, some may not agree....I prepaid them already so no extra surprises at the end

If you are talking about gratuity added to the UBP promo (which means you booked the promo after June 1) then you have no choice but to prepay. It's added to your account when you book and must be paid along with final payment.

Sounds to me like you might be getting UBP gratuity and DSC confused.

I booked in Feb this year and the free UBP and UDP included the 18% grats. Are you saying I will now have to pay them ?

I booked in Feb this year and the free UBP and UDP included the 18% grats. Are you saying I will now have to pay them ?

Yeah, we booked in June, it was like 136 dollars if I remember correctly

Yeah, we booked in June, it was like 136 dollars if I remember correctly

I think it all depends on when you booked...they keep changing the promo

I think it all depends on when you booked...they keep changing the promo

No they do not "keep changing the promo". They have changed it exacty once in this regard.

For bookings made before end of April the gratuities were included in the promo.

For bookings made since start of June gratuities from the promo packages are added to the final payment.

In either case nothing is charged onboard.

ETA: Gratuities have been included all the time for suite (categories starting with S or H) bookings.

Edited by Demonyte

Yes they do "keep changing" it as it changed again in August, and I'm talking about the over all options of the promo not just the UBP....if you want to try and be a "know it all" by all means talk that elsewhere, that's the problem with these boards, people like you insist on making condicending comments after others have stated something...being informative is fine, being a snide know it all, not so much

Yes they do "keep changing" it as it changed again in August, and I'm talking about the over all options of the promo not just the UBP

This thread is specifically about the promo UBP, not the whole selection of what promos include or not at any given time.

This thread is specifically about the promo UBP, not the whole selection of what promos include or not at any given time.

Again, you must be one of those people who must be correct at all time, whatever works for you

That's my understanding. I am not expecting to get charged. In February this year it was clearly included in both packages.

No, you will not be charged. When you booked, gratuities were included.

If you want to verify, you can look at your account balance. Those who were charged gratuities on promos were charged at the time they booked the cruise. Their online accounts look like this (although the fee varies based on cruise length):

promofee_zpsmnprqnlf.jpg

If you booked with a TA, you might not be able to see your account like that.

No, you will not be charged. When you booked, gratuities were included.

If you want to verify, you can look at your account balance. Those who were charged gratuities on promos were charged at the time they booked the cruise. Their online accounts look like this (although the fee varies based on cruise length):

promofee_zpsmnprqnlf.jpg

If you booked with a TA, you might not be able to see your account like that.

Mine is listed as Choice promo service charge: $136.08 (located by the final total)

We booked in late June for an August cruise and we were told that when selecting the UBP we were required to pay the estimated 18% gratuity with final payment. For our 7 day cruise it came to $168 according to NCL

Mine is listed as Choice promo service charge: $136.08 (located by the final total)

So same as mine in the picture then? It shows "choice promotion service charge" by the final total.

My total is different because mine is a 10 day cruise.

So when I quoted you saying you prepaid it, the point I was making to you is of course you did. You have no choice! It has to be paid at or before final payment.

So same as mine in the picture then? It shows "choice promotion service charge" by the final total.

My total is different because mine is a 10 day cruise.

So when I quoted you saying you prepaid it, the point I was making to you is of course you did. You have no choice! It has to be paid at or before final payment.

Yeah I'm blind, missed that for some reason, still a great deal, enjoy your cruise!

A lot of misinformation posted on CC. This thread is full of things that are not true. Earlier in the thread it was stated that specialty beers are not included. Ah yes they are just experienced it. Another one was extra tipping giving you speedy bar service. Not true try that on the pool deck on sea days you will wait forever and you hardly ever see a waiter . And if you do see a waiter it will take 25mins for him to bring your drink back. Regular bars the wait is not bad and quick to get drinks. All the restaurants are slow getting you a drink its not like a land restarunt where they ask what you want to drink when you sit down. Another one was once they know you they will get you 2 drinks for you and your wife not true I walked up with both our card and never did they deny me 2 drinks. and after they knew us they only used one card. Its one of those things some times you have to really dig through CC to get good info there is a lot of people rehashing what others have said and it changes over and over they may have not even experienced the situation. Plus that drink menu on here is old the prices went up on most drinks but there are very few drinks that are not covered. And the couple times that has happened most folks say they just charge you the extra.

A lot of misinformation posted on CC. This thread is full of things that are not true. Earlier in the thread it was stated that specialty beers are not included. Ah yes they are just experienced it. Another one was extra tipping giving you speedy bar service. Not true try that on the pool deck on sea days you will wait forever and you hardly ever see a waiter . And if you do see a waiter it will take 25mins for him to bring your drink back. Regular bars the wait is not bad and quick to get drinks. All the restaurants are slow getting you a drink its not like a land restarunt where they ask what you want to drink when you sit down. Another one was once they know you they will get you 2 drinks for you and your wife not true I walked up with both our card and never did they deny me 2 drinks. and after they knew us they only used one card. Its one of those things some times you have to really dig through CC to get good info there is a lot of people rehashing what others have said and it changes over and over they may have not even experienced the situation. Plus that drink menu on here is old the prices went up on most drinks but there are very few drinks that are not covered. And the couple times that has happened most folks say they just charge you the extra.

A couple of comments.

First this thread started 7 months ago, and the terms of the promo have changed since then, so you have to pay attention to when the post you're reading was written. Something that was true 6 or 7 months ago may not be true now. The post may have been correct when written, but is not today. You can't criticize that as incorrect information...it's up to you to realize that things change.

Second, you can't generalize your one time experience as truth and someone else's as a falsehood. There very well may have been those who received speedier service by tipping extra. Some waiters and bartenders respond to that...they learn very quickly who tips and who doesn't. I've seen it happen year after year and cruise after cruise. On the other hand some may have been refused two drinks using one card. Just because you weren't doesn't mean it didn't happen to others.

The two premium selections added to Cagneys are a whole Maine lobster and a 32oz steak. Both are an additional $10 each.

La Cucina also added two items. A lobster pasta dish and something else if memory serves. Both are $8 extra.

Le Bistro has three premium selections, but I think all three were already there. Also $10 each.

Thank you very much for the updated information. May I ask which ship you experienced this on?

Thanks again.

Rochelle

I phoned NCl in the UK today as a free drinks package is on offer in a current promotion. I was told that each drink has a limit of 11 US dollars and if the drink plus the service charge comes to less than 11 dollars nothing else is due to be paid, if the total is more than 11 dollars you are charged the difference. So they are not adding an upfront 18% service charge to the entire 'free' drinks package. Whether the person I spoke to got it right is another matter of course!! If NCL keep changing the rules I am not confident that all their personnel will be up to date.

I phoned NCl in the UK today as a free drinks package is on offer in a current promotion. I was told that each drink has a limit of 11 US dollars and if the drink plus the service charge comes to less than 11 dollars nothing else is due to be paid, if the total is more than 11 dollars you are charged the difference. So they are not adding an upfront 18% service charge to the entire 'free' drinks package. Whether the person I spoke to got it right is another matter of course!! If NCL keep changing the rules I am not confident that all their personnel will be up to date.

I think the information you received was a bit kerfuffled.

When you purchase the UBP or receive it as part of a promo you will now be charged the 18% gratuity which will be payable at the time of final payment.

Once you are on the ship you can order any drink up to $11 and it will be included. The $11 is prior to the auto gratuity amount that would be charged if you were paying on a drink per drink basis.

When you receive your drink you will be given a slip to sign. This will show the price of your drink (up to $11) and the 18% auto gratuity. These amounts are for the cruise lines accounting purposes and will not appear on your shipboard account.

If you happen to order a drink over the $11 amount you will be charged the difference. For example if you order a $12 drink you will sign a slip for this plus the 18%. What will appear on your final bill is $1.18; the $1 overage plus the extra 18% auto gratuity on the overage amount.

I hope this helps clear up any of the confusion.

Rochelle

We booked today and got the free UDP and there was no mention of paying any gratuities on it. This was in the UK, could it be different depending where you book?
That's right: The promo in the UK includes the 18% gratuity if you choose the dining package or a beverage package. (See the terms here.)

You are in the UK, so the 18% gratuity is included with your package.