Epic & Grand Cayman

debnjoe1438

They have been doing that Western itinerary during winters since Getaway came about a year ago and I don't remember seeing any complaints about longer waits on Epic.

Tenders in Grand Cayman are big so there shouldn't be significantly longer waits than on smaller ships, they can also use two exits from the ship to make the process even faster.

All the times we've been on Grand Cayman they usually have enough tenders available that when they are loading one, next one comes waiting before the first one has left so the biggest delay comes from the speed of getting people to tenders and distance to the dock, not so much from the amount of passengers.

They have been doing that Western itinerary during winters since Getaway came about a year ago and I don't remember seeing any complaints about longer waits on Epic.

Tenders in Grand Cayman are big so there shouldn't be significantly longer waits than on smaller ships, they can also use two exits from the ship to make the process even faster.

All the times we've been on Grand Cayman they usually have enough tenders available that when they are loading one, next one comes waiting before the first one has left so the biggest delay comes from the speed of getting people to tenders and distance to the dock, not so much from the amount of passengers.

Thanks 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Currently on the epic and now at Cozumel. This is my first post and my first ncl cruise. We waited bn 2 and 3 hours in gc yesterday to get on a tender to get back to the epic. Ncl said it was weather related but not a single of the other cruise ships had a line that was anywhere close to the line ncl had. Up until this experience at grand cayman we had really enjoyed our cruise, but ncl seemed completely unprepared to handle getting people back on board in slightly choppy waters. I understand that weather is beyond their control but it made no sense that all of the other cruise lines seemed able to handle the challenge while ncl simply dropped the ball.

Currently on the epic and now at Cozumel. This is my first post and my first ncl cruise. We waited bn 2 and 3 hours in gc yesterday to get on a tender to get back to the epic. Ncl said it was weather related but not a single of the other cruise ships had a line that was anywhere close to the line ncl had. Up until this experience at grand cayman we had really enjoyed our cruise, but ncl seemed completely unprepared to handle getting people back on board in slightly choppy waters. I understand that weather is beyond their control but it made no sense that all of the other cruise lines seemed able to handle the challenge while ncl simply dropped the ball.

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think if we run into major lines getting back on the ship, I will look for a bar to have a few drinks in before getting back in line.........just a thought for a couple of hours......

Don't do Hard Rock unless you have very deep pockets.

Last time there we had 5 people drinking beer and our bill was 140.00 for about 18 beers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the epic New Years week. We had a similar issue when returning to the ship. We got back to the ship around 2 and there had to be a thousand people on line to return. It took almost 45 minutes in the sun to get on a tender and then they packed it so full that there was no where to even sit.

Our friends got back at 230 and they experienced a similar issue. They definitely need to work on the return process. Disembarking was a breeze as we were in the haven, but not so on the return.

Are there restrooms near where the line forms? My husband has kidney issues and I'm hoping there is a restroom close by that he can use if necessary.

If I remember correctly, there are no service buildings at all in the dock. There is a building with a scuba shop and somekind of cafe/bar on the dock's side of the road that might work. Otherwise you need to cross the road and find a bathroom from the shop district.

My group of 13 just got off the epic today, and IMO tendering was a nightmare! We got back to the port at about 3 and didn't get back on the boat until about 530. I have pictures of the masses of passengers in the lines waiting. Once NCL got help from the local tenders the line moved relatively quickly and the local tender captains were awesome at maneuvering their tenders. The tender our group was on(a non ncl one) actually got hit by a NCL tender as we were tethered to the Epic, fortunately there weren't any significant injuries because it wasn't just a little tap, and caused multiple people to fall. I really feel NCL needs to train their tender boat captains much more, and some of the tendering and safety issues would be resolved. Despite the chaos it was and leaving GC 2hrs and 15 mins late we still made it to Cozumel on time and enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

Are there restrooms near where the line forms? My husband has kidney issues and I'm hoping there is a restroom close by that he can use if necessary.

There were bathrooms too the right as you face the ocean or to the left as you enter the port..they were very easy to find!

I was getting on a tender at 1:45 when one of the life boats being used as a tender was heavily damaged due to the swells. The back fender was completely ripped off and the swells were so high, loading the tenders took a very long time. With one boat severely damaged and out of rotation and the pace of loading and unloading it became very difficult. The captain came on twice to explain that the biggest issue was 6 ships in that very small port and the other lines had access to the big tenders. NCL was stuck with using their life boats with the odd large tender thrown into the mix. It was fine heading onto GC, but we would never have started unloading and would have skipped the island altogether if the swells had been that high in the morning. It was a rotten situation, but not a whole lot they could do about it. Apparently they have over $50K in repairs needed to the life boat.

I was getting on a tender at 1:45 when one of the life boats being used as a tender was heavily damaged due to the swells. The back fender was completely ripped off and the swells were so high, loading the tenders took a very long time. With one boat severely damaged and out of rotation and the pace of loading and unloading it became very difficult. The captain came on twice to explain that the biggest issue was 6 ships in that very small port and the other lines had access to the big tenders. NCL was stuck with using their life boats with the odd large tender thrown into the mix. It was fine heading onto GC, but we would never have started unloading and would have skipped the island altogether if the swells had been that high in the morning. It was a rotten situation, but not a whole lot they could do about it. Apparently they have over $50K in repairs needed to the life boat.

Wow, I suppose stuff happens. Checked out cruisett and saw only 2 other ships in port with the Epic the day I'm traveling. Now I'll just have to cross my fingers for good weather. :)

When we sailed in December, there were either two or three additional ships and Epic was using the large local tenders vs. their own lifeboats. Tendering went well and we didn't encounter any lines. I am sure every week brings a new challenge and weather plays a huge role, too. Good luck!

I agree. It was a complete mess. Like watching The Three Stooges.

Don't do Hard Rock unless you have very deep pockets.

Last time there we had 5 people drinking beer and our bill was 140.00 for about 18 beers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any restaurant on Grand Cayman is going to be expensive. They brag that there is no sales tax, but they don't tell you that there is a huge import duty (about 20%) on anything brought on to the island. Guess what, since it is an island, they have to import everything!

DW and I had lunch at one of the local restaurants (I think it was Breezes by the Bay near Margaritaville). It was a tasty lunch. I had one rum-based drink (a hurricane?), a cup of conch chowder, and DW had a diet soda. We split a pizza for our entree. We also had to leave $40 US to pay for it all.

Also watch the exchange rate. A GC dollar is worth about $1.25 US. That $10 margarita may end up costing $12.50!

• 2 weeks later...