New to NCL

Sandy1975

We got some marketing materials in the mail from NCL offering perks that are pretty similar to what you would get with Celebrity, which is the line we like to cruise with. This got our attention and the prices compared to Celebrity are pretty different, at least of the sailings I looked at so we might be considering testing this line out. One of the perks if you travel to the Caribbean is a free beverage package, which is what we would choose.

My question is about what would be included in the Bev Pack from NCL. It reads limited selection but I am wondering how it might compare to the Classic Pack from Celebrity. Does anyone have experience with both?

Also, how would the experience compare to Celebrity? I will try to do more research later but I am on the go now and can't look through the forum in detail right now so any answers will be really appreciated!!

Thanks!

Having sailed on both lines in the last 12 months (January 2014 21 days on the NCL Jade and December 2014 16 days Celebrity Infinity), I'll compare a few things for you.

Food - Celebrity MDR way way better than NCL. Celebrity buffet somewhat better than NCL. Speciality extra fee restaurants are way better and more variety on NCL. (Food quality and taste was our biggest problem with NCL)

Service - slight edge to Celebrity.

Entertainment - Except for the guest acts on Celebrity, NCL entertainment beat the crap out of the Celebrity acts. In the main showroom and in the lounges. NCL was a real surprise in this category for us.

Freestyle - we appreciated that we never had to play dress up on NCL, most especially on a long cruise. But this is tempered a bit by NCL allowing some really underdressed people in to MDR for dinner (shorts, torn jeans, cutoffs, baseball hats on backwards, etc)

Laundry - really annoyed that Celebrity wanted to charge $45 for the Fill Your Bag special. NCL charged $25.

I'll leave you to compare specifics of the drink packages. However. The house wines were barely adequate on NCL, while the wines on the classic package were fine to pretty good on Celebrity. Celebrity also mixed some of the stiffest cocktails we've ever had, often requiring another belt of mixer.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Edited by jkgourmet

Having sailed on both lines in the last 12 months (January 2014 21 days on the NCL Jade and December 2014 16 days Celebrity Infinity), I'll compare a few things for you.

Food - Celebrity MDR way way better than NCL. Celebrity buffet somewhat better than NCL. Speciality extra fee restaurants are way better and more variety on NCL. (Food quality and taste was our biggest problem with NCL)

Entertainment - Except for the guest acts on Celebrity, NCL entertainment beat the crap out of the Celebrity acts. In the main showroom and in the lounges. NCL was a real surprise in this category for us.

Freestyle - we appreciated that we never had to play dress up on NCL, most especially on a long cruise. But this is tempered a bit by NCL allowing some really underdressed people in to MDR for dinner (shorts, torn jeans, cutoffs, baseball hats on backwards, etc)

Laundry - really annoyed that Celebrity wanted to charge $45 for the Fill Your Bag special. NCL charged $25.

I'll leave you to compare specifics of the drink packages. However. The house wines were barely adequate on NCL, while the wines on the classic package were fine to pretty good on Celebrity. Celebrity also mixed some of the stiffest cocktails we've ever had, often requiring another belt of mixer.

Thanks for the reply, Interesting on the service comment you make. I am reading reviews for the ships that are sailing in the time I am looking at and I it is pushing me away from trying this line but then I know everyone's experience is different.

I think pretty much anything will beat Celebrity's entertainment as that to me is the weakest link but I am glad to know that it is way better.

Disappointing to hear about the wines as that is what I like. And maybe cocktails will suit me better since I was asking for extra mixer at least 50% of the time.

What did you think of the cleanliness level in general? Some reviews I am reading make it sound like staff is not very good at it. Of course that probably varies from ship to ship.

The house wines were barely adequate on NCL, while the wines on the classic package were fine to pretty good on Celebrity.

I don't understand the mention of house wines as you can get most wines by the glass under the UBP. Comparing apples to oranges there.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

Only three whites, one ice wine and one red are above the $10/glass limit.

I don't understand the mention of house wines as you can get most wines by the glass under the UBP. Comparing apples to oranges there.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_03172014.pdf

Only three whites, one ice wine and one red are above the $10/glass limit.

Ha, that is similar to what is available on Celebrity's allowance under the classic (not really but very limited). I still managed to find some that I was OK with. We are not really that high maintenance but it is nice to know what we could expect. I will probably read on this forum today to get a feel of what might be like sailing with NCL.

And Thanks for this link!!!

Edited by Sandy1975

I have not found NCL to be any more or less clean than either of the 2 Celebrity ships I've cruised. I actually thought Summit was in serious need of a makeover when was on it, but Equinox was fabulous.

Agree entertainment on NCL is excellent.

Which NCL ship are you considering?

I have not found NCL to be any more or less clean than either of the 2 Celebrity ships I've cruised. I actually thought Summit was in serious need of a makeover when was on it, but Equinox was fabulous.

Agree entertainment on NCL is excellent.

Which NCL ship are you considering?

We are thinking of sailing in March and the ones that we are considering are the one out of Tampa (Sun?), Houston (Jewel?) and Epic out of Miami. We are looking at Balcony. Any suggestions on any of these ships? I am glad you are talking about the how clean they are. I know that sometimes negative comments come from having too many little things and when reviewing it could be blown out of proportion.

We are thinking of sailing in March and the ones that we are considering are the one out of Tampa (Sun?), Houston (Jewel?) and Epic out of Miami. We are looking at Balcony. Any suggestions on any of these ships? I am glad you are talking about the how clean they are. I know that sometimes negative comments come from having too many little things and when reviewing it could be blown out of proportion.

Sun is a smaller ship but cute (I was next to it in STT while on NCL Gem (sister of Jewel) and got great photos), Jewel I've been on, but not Epic. Still, I'd go on any of the 3 without hesitation. And I'd want a balcony cabin too, just not below an uncarpeted area or above a noisy venue.

The balcony on Sun and Jewel will be smaller than Celeb Solstice class ships balconies unless you get an aft-facing balcony cabin. Mini-suite on Jewel will have a slightly larger balcony but some are completely covered (midship ones).

Note that Celebrity has that great brunch once per cruise; NCL does not have a brunch. Or a Molecular Bar. But plenty of other things that keep me going back on them anyway! :)

Edited by mizlorinj

Note that Celebrity has that great brunch once per cruise; NCL does not have a brunch. Or a Molecular Bar. But plenty of other things that keep me going back on them anyway! :)

Every NCL cruise I have been on I have gone to a brunch on usually the last sea day. Name varied from ship to sailing to year - most recent was called "Jazz Brunch" but have been to "Best of All Brunch" as well. There is a buffet with a variety of items and then menu/table service with various selections including some from the specialty restaurants. Also live music.

Edited by khaide612

Something to keep in mind with the different ships. Sun & Jewel will have standard cabins but I think most of the Epic cabins (maybe not suites) have the split bathroom where the vanity is in the room and the toilet and shower are each behind shaded glass doors and you step out into the cabin from shower. You can search online for video/pictures.

If you can book a full suite on NCL your comparison to Celebrity would be more favourable.

I recommend the aft PH on deck 9 on the Sun. I will be in an aft PH on the Jewel in April. Cruised on Jewel before but not in a suite. It was the cruise that changed my perspective.

We did celebrity equinox and food in main dining was horrible, substandard and we are not picky eaters. We went on the allure of the seas royal.. food was amazing in main dining, now we are thinking of trying ncl for the mediterrean for 2016 and really nervous as we were really put off by celebrity...

celebrity choc buffet had fruit and cake pops..lol it was a joke!! we are using to seeing a huge spread of desserts.. allure is a must try it was outstanding no one can beat her!

The Sun is the smallest and has fewer bars and restaurants, but there are many public spaces with great views of the sea. Eating at the Great Outdoor aft behind the buffet is quite wonderful. The Sun also has huge mini suites, that that interests you. The entertainment is good, but is more NCL "traditional" with a main evening show (7:00 and 9:00), usually an evening game show, music at bars, and dancing somewhere.

The Jewel is a bit larger than the Sun with more bars and restaurants but with similar entertainment. It also has a great Outdoor aft.

The Epic is totally different. There are many passengers. The regular cabins tend to be a bit smaller and some people really dislike that split bathroom setup. We didn't really mind it. There is "bigger" entertainment on the Epic and not a tradition show to see every night. The shows repeat throughout the cruise and you need a reservation to see them. The entertainment venues are small in relation to the size of the ship. There is still other nightly entertainment throughout the ship including music, game shows, and dancing. You really need a balcony to see the sea.

I have only ever cruise NCL, so I cannot compare it to Celebrity, however, we have never had any concern about cleaniless. In fact, NCL is pretty agressive about the use of hand santizers and such. We always see crew cleaning. The Epic was the first cruise where I was able to enter the buffet without a spritz of sanitizer, which sort of surprised me.

The food has seemed similar on every ship.

The ships are so different, it really depends on the type of cruise you like. If you like a more "sedate" cruise, then the Sun should be your choice. If you like a more frenetic and varied cruise, then the Epic might be better. The Jewel is sort of in the middle but more like the Sun than the Epic.

Edited by drvalo

Our experience on NCL was on the NCL Jade, 2 bedroom penthouse suite (non-haven). We have also sailed on Celebrity Silhouette in Dec 2013.

I thought the food on Jade was pretty good. My tastes are quite simple and I don't recall Celebrity's food being much better. However, food is very subjective.

This link may provide useful info for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2139442

The Sun is the smallest and has fewer bars and restaurants, but there are many public spaces with great views of the sea. Eating at the Great Outdoor aft behind the buffet is quite wonderful. The Sun also has huge mini suites, that that interests you. The entertainment is good, but is more NCL "traditional" with a main evening show (7:00 and 9:00), usually an evening game show, music at bars, and dancing somewhere.

The Jewel is a bit larger than the Sun with more bars and restaurants but with similar entertainment. It also has a great Outdoor aft.

The Epic is totally different. There are many passengers. The regular cabins tend to be a bit smaller and some people really dislike that split bathroom setup. We didn't really mind it. There is "bigger" entertainment on the Epic and not a tradition show to see every night. The shows repeat throughout the cruise and you need a reservation to see them. The entertainment venues are small in relation to the size of the ship. There is still other nightly entertainment throughout the ship including music, game shows, and dancing. You really need a balcony to see the sea.

I have only ever cruise NCL, so I cannot compare it to Celebrity, however, we have never had any concern about cleaniless. In fact, NCL is pretty agressive about the use of hand santizers and such. We always see crew cleaning. The Epic was the first cruise where I was able to enter the buffet without a spritz of sanitizer, which sort of surprised me.

The food has seemed similar on every ship.

The ships are so different, it really depends on the type of cruise you like. If you like a more "sedate" cruise, then the Sun should be your choice. If you like a more frenetic and varied cruise, then the Epic might be better. The Jewel is sort of in the middle but more like the Sun than the Epic.

Thanks for the nice summary. We were looking online last night and decided that the Sun is not for Us. We liked what we saw in Epic and the type of entertainment it might have. Our favorite ship so far in all our Cruises is Equinox and the pics of the ship I saw reminded me just a little about it. Im leaning towards the Epic but my husband just added Breakaway in the mix since we can easily drive to NYC but i don't like the itinerary.

Our experience on NCL was on the NCL Jade, 2 bedroom penthouse suite (non-haven). We have also sailed on Celebrity Silhouette in Dec 2013.

I thought the food on Jade was pretty good. My tastes are quite simple and I don't recall Celebrity's food being much better. However, food is very subjective.

This link may provide useful info for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2139442

Thanks for the link. Yes, food is subjective and only way to know is to experience it. My last cruise was on the Celebrity Equinox and I really liked the food and I think in general, Celebrity has better food than its sister line Royal Caribbean, at least that has been my experience.

Edited by Sandy1975

Also, how would the experience compare to Celebrity?

I've been on Celebrity and NCL numerous times and I pretty much have to agree with jkgourmet on this one. Celebrity is my favorite line right now, and NCL is my least favorite. NCL excels in entertainment over Celebrity, but that's about it. Otherwise, I think it'll be a disappointing change for you. Based on the history in your signature, if you want to try another line, I'd steer you more toward Princess, not NCL.

Thanks for the reply,

What did you think of the cleanliness level in general? Some reviews I am reading make it sound like staff is not very good at it. Of course that probably varies from ship to ship.

I'll answer this based only on our two sailings in 2014. But I would not have brought it up if not asked as I ABSOLUTELY believe it is ship specific and can vary from sailing to sailing.

When we boarded, We thought the Jade was quite clean. Not brand new, spanking clean, but well cared for. There were washy-washy guys and Purel machines available everywhere. During the sailing, there was an outbreak of an intestinal disorder (we assume it was noro) that affected hundreds of passengers and many staff (including us, with a mild case). The ship went into yellow alert. No self service in the buffet, no salt shakers on the tables, do not return the pencils after trivia, etc. We were incredibly impressed by the staff attention and amount of work put in to disinfecting that ship. Even though the outbreak would not be reported to the CDC (no US ports = no CDC report), they took the problem seriously and took action. And let the passengers know about the issue with clear, written instructions.

On our Infinity cruise, we boarded and immediately felt the ship was showing her age. Rust spots, chipping paint, we even spotted cob webs in one of the corners in a lounge. Finding a Purel machine wasn't always convenient, and many did not work properly. When staff were dishing out the purel, they made little effort to get passengers to use the stuff (unlike NCL's washy washy guys); accordingly, many more passengers on Celebrity did not disinfect on their way into the restaurants and buffet. During our second week on the ship, an upper respiratory infection affected many passengers (and staff, who were also coughing). On the last few days of the cruise, we noticed additional Purel machines and an attempt to discontinue self service in the buffet. (A failed attempt since some areas left out the tongs and there were simply not enough staff to do a proper job of it). We never learned if these changes were because of the obvious respiratory infections or rumored reports of passengers with intestinal problems. No announcement was made about any problem, although there obviously was from the observable policy changes.

Judge for yourself. We would sail both lines and both ships again (WITH limitations for NCL because of the less than acceptable food in the buffet and MDR)

Every NCL cruise I have been on I have gone to a brunch on usually the last sea day. Name varied from ship to sailing to year - most recent was called "Jazz Brunch" but have been to "Best of All Brunch" as well. There is a buffet with a variety of items and then menu/table service with various selections including some from the specialty restaurants. Also live music.

Celebrity dropped the brunches over a year ago. NCL still has one but it's extra cost.

We got some marketing materials in the mail from NCL offering perks that are pretty similar to what you would get with Celebrity, which is the line we like to cruise with. This got our attention and the prices compared to Celebrity are pretty different, at least of the sailings I looked at so we might be considering testing this line out. One of the perks if you travel to the Caribbean is a free beverage package, which is what we would choose.

My question is about what would be included in the Bev Pack from NCL. It reads limited selection but I am wondering how it might compare to the Classic Pack from Celebrity. Does anyone have experience with both?

Also, how would the experience compare to Celebrity? I will try to do more research later but I am on the go now and can't look through the forum in detail right now so any answers will be really appreciated!!

Thanks!

Celebrity includes water and specialty coffees and juices. NCL does not.

For us that is a main differene. We enjoy espresso. We also upgrade on Celebrity from the classic so we can have martinis . Now on NCL martinis are included.

We sailed Reflection 3 times in 2104. Breakaway 2x and Epic 1x.

Food on Celebrity is not as good as it once was. We prefer all the choices on NCL.

The bad part of NCL is the casino smoking. I detest smoke which is why Celebrity has been our cruise line of choice for a long time now.

However, I bring febreeze, dont' stay in the casino and do fine.

NCL has great entertainment, lots of fun stuff to do all the time. We aren't bored at all on their ships.

But, if we need total relaxation, then we choose Celebrity.

I like to wear dresses etc but not just because the cruise line states it's formal night. I think it's ridiculous. I dont' really care what other people wear, it doesn't bother me at all if you are in shorts and I'm in a fancy dress. It's your vacation, it's my vacation.

Overall, I'd sail on NCL before we sail on Celebrity.

That being said, we are sailing Princess and Celebrity in europe this fall and coming home via the Escape. We are leaving on the breakaway in a few days and then going on the gem after we get off the breakaway.

We wanted to try the quantam, but the prices are ridiculous. So we will wait for the anthem, that I think is staying here in ny.