Favorite departure port

missymckibben

Bridgetown BARBADOS

- because I live just 10 mins. away! I could almost walk there

to catch Carnival Valor, on any given Wednesday

but that will soon (come April) be LIBERTY

Liberty-797.jpg

Liberty at Sint Maarten

YESSS :D I will be on her first cruise from San Juan, so her first call in Barbados.

Just wondering, how does Barbados embarkation/debarkation work? Just wondering. I'm boarding in San Juan but I'm very curious as to how, where, and when the Barbados passengers will board.

I hope they move some experienced crew from Valor to Liberty who board Barbados passengers every week, because since it's the ship's first cruise down there, it'll be a tad hectic, the least amount of fuss, the better.

• Baltimore. Easiest to navigate, and happens to be 20 minutes from my house! :D But the cruises are rather repetitive, expensive, and if leaves in the cold, 60% of your cruise isn't even tropical.
  • New York. Love the sailaway, and I really miss the short Canada cruises.
  • Fort Lauderdale. Close to the airport and Southwest flies direct there about 12 times a day, for very low prices, 2 free checked bags! :D

I think Miami is my favorite just because they've got embarkation and debarkation down to a science. I just did Long Beach for the first time and it was the least organized of those I've been to. I'm leaving out of Charleston for the first time in March. I heard that port is a little different.

I think Miami is my favorite just because they've got embarkation and debarkation down to a science. I just did Long Beach for the first time and it was the least organized of those I've been to. I'm leaving out of Charleston for the first time in March. I heard that port is a little different.

Agree I also like PEV and San Juan.

San Diego and Vancouver, BC. San Diego you can stay prior just steps from the dock and there is plenty to do in the Sea Port Village area. Vancouver has several very nice hotels, even one inside the port terminal. We left from there once and borrowed the bellman's cart to push our luggage across the street to check in at the port.

Leaving San Diego at dusk when the F16 fighter jets take off with full after burners from north island is a once in a life time experience. I am not sure they did it just for the ship, but I would like to think so.

San Diego and Vancouver, BC. San Diego you can stay prior just steps from the dock and there is plenty to do in the Sea Port Village area. Vancouver has several very nice hotels, even one inside the port terminal. We left from there once and borrowed the bellman's cart to push our luggage across the street to check in at the port.

Leaving San Diego at dusk when the F16 fighter jets take off with full after burners from north island is a once in a life time experience. I am not sure they did it just for the ship, but I would like to think so.

I will put these ports on my bucket list! Sounds nice!

If you stay at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, you can walk your luggage to the cruise terminal. They share the parking lot with Carnival. It was really nice.

This was my experience one time leaving San Diego

DSC_0091.jpg

We don't really have a favorite. Charleston is closest, but the Fantasy is our least favorite ship and itinerary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

How is the port in Charleston? Not a lot of ships go out of there that interest me, but i've been told it's not very good.

Venice was all time favorite but Carnival does not leave from there anymore. Since Galveston is down the road, it is my most used port but I'm mad at Texas for taxing alcohol and cigarettes coming home. Ridiculous!

So that leaves me Miami or New Orleans....it's a toss up. Both are awesome cities. The worst embarkation experience...and the best...I ever had were both in New Orleans. One super long horrible lines, the other time, no lines at all. Go figure.

I would LOVE to do NYC some day but I rarely fly to ports being that I have 2 so close to me.

I've cruised out of several and embarkation doesn't really fit in to my evaluation because, its cruise day and its hard to put a dent in my attitude then. With that said, NOLA is an amazing port (and fyi, it was the smoothest embarkation I've experienced).

You can fly or drive in, stay in the quarter for a few days before or after, and simply get a cab to the port. Heck I saw people walking from the quarter from their hotel. NOLA doesn't have the beach views or sand to prepare you for your trip to paradise, but you're about to board a boat to do just that. I feel NOLA adds a great diverse experience to your vacation. Great food, great people, great night life and great culture to kick yourself into vacation mode.

I'd have to start with San Juan:)then Baltimore mainly because I love to visit Baltimore:DNew York for the beautiful views of the city, statue of Liberty and bridges;)then New Orleans and what used to be one of our favorites and now our least favorite MIAMI:mad:

Pt Canaveral for us. The main reason is that the port is only an hour from where we live. The port employees seem more friendly and I don't feel the chaos that I do when we sail from south FL.

We have had really rude port employees in Ft Lauderdale. They yelled at people and were just nasty overall. Not all of them were like that, but most seemed like they had a bit of power and by golly they were going to show it. I think Miami has too many ships and too many people, busses etc. Even though our next cruise is from there, I am not looking forward to the port itself.

How is the port in Charleston? Not a lot of ships go out of there that interest me, but i've been told it's not very good.

The port of Charleston can be a little confusing if you don't know what to expect, I am cruising out of this port for the 4th time in 14 days.

The first thing to do is drop off your luggage at the drop off point and there could be a line of cars doing so depending on what time you get there. Then you get back in line to enter the parking area, there will be lines of cars for this too:) Once you have paid for parking $17 per day you then will be guided to a warehouse type of building where you park and then will be guided to where you will get on the shuttle to take you across the street to the terminal. There you will get checked in and board the ship. I believe the gates for the parking open around 11am and from time to parking to getting on the ship has only been around 45min for me, but I am there early and among the first in line when the gates open. It seems like a lot but it actually works.

Edited by mouche

Charleston would probably be my favorite. The city has a great history, great cuisine, is family friendly, and is located near the beach. I also really like New Orleans, but it is not as good as Charleston for a family trip. For ease of getting on the ship, Port Canaveral wins hands down.

Also agree on Miami. Busy port but they know what they're doing there. Everything went smoothly. Second best is Port Canaveral. The worst was Charleston. However, Charleston does their best with what they have to work with.

The port of Charleston can be a little confusing if you don't know what to expect, I am cruising out of this port for the 4th time in 14 days.

The first thing to do is drop off your luggage at the drop off point and there could be a line of cars doing so depending on what time you get there. Then you get back in line to enter the parking area, there will be lines of cars for this too:) Once you have paid for parking $17 per day you then will be guided to a warehouse type of building where you park and then will be guided to where you will get on the shuttle to take you across the street to the terminal. There you will get checked in and board the ship. I believe the gates for the parking open around 11am and from time to parking to getting on the ship has only been around 45min for me, but I am there early and among the first in line when the gates open. It seems like a lot but it actually works.

Thanks for the reply. Dw and I were looking at it, but we were going to cruise with our parents, and they weren't sold on it at all. Hopefully this relieves some of their fears. :)

As an agent I must say my favorite would be Port Canaveral very friendly staff and the Disney cruise experience is the best. I would also say it's a different experience at every location so we enjoy going to different ports and getting on different ships due to its surronds and the new things you may find to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the sailway from Miami seeing south beach...Boston was pretty cool too cuz you see the planes taking off and flying over the ship...but I'm excited for San Juan next weekend...it's my dream port and it's coming true :)

I agree any port that takes me on a cruise is the best.

San Juan is my favorite so far, We went two days early and our hotel was across the street from the ship (watcher her sail in), walked across the street, gave our bags to the porter and that was fantastic!!!!!

Leaving out of Tampa again in two weeks. WOO HOO :D