White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad

DKOS

I plan to go on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad excursion when I am in Alaska May 30-June 6. The excursion is offered at 8:10, 12:40, and 4:15. Is one time slot better than another? This will most likely be my only excursion at this port so working around other activities is not something that needs to be considered.

Thanks!

We also are looking at this tour , so we would like to hear what others who have taken the tour have to say

This is what it looks like, and because of the history I thought it was wonderful. But it will look the same coming back down so for a more varied day I would consider a tour that goes into the Yukon rather than just to Fraser BC. You will still have time for a look around Skagway. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE]

I would definitely go for later in the day, in the morning (I took a bus ride up the Yukon) and early afternoon, the fog was so heavy and thick at times you couldn't see that far in front of you on the roadway. Later in the afternoon though the fog broke up and the rain stopped altogether, this was in mid August though.

I've done two trips with no fog in the afternoon. Yes there was fog on the bus up.

When I looked at the train...

• the late trips are quicker... the tracks are less congested with less stops
  • do you want a round trip? do you want a trip combined with a motorcoach to see both sides of the Canyon?
  • in addition to times, there are different distances from Skagway... to the summit? to Fraser? Combine with motorcoach to Yukon or other Skagway highlights?
  • I noticed my trains stop mid-way to pick up hikers... not sure how they got there.

I plan to go on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad excursion when I am in Alaska May 30-June 6. The excursion is offered at 8:10, 12:40, and 4:15. Is one time slot better than another? This will most likely be my only excursion at this port so working around other activities is not something that needs to be considered.

Thanks!

Consider booking a bus up rail down with Chilkoot..we opted for the approx 8:30am bus (3 1/2 hour trip) and couldn't have been happier with this time slot for our end of May cruise...Gave us the afternoon to explore Skagway and have lunch.

I never considered busing up and taking the train back down. I will have to check in to that option. Thank you for all your replies! They are greatly appreciated and very helpful.

I never considered busing up and taking the train back down. I will have to check in to that option. Thank you for all your replies! They are greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Chilkoot has an amazing offering...Our small bus (approx 16 people) had a wonderful guide/driver for our bus trip up...You won't be sorry you gave this idea some consideration. Enjoy !