Drink prices versus Classic Bev Package caps

FirstTimer_Angst

Hello! We are first timers sailing on March 21, Reflection. We have the classic beverage package as a promotion. I'm leary of being blindsided and would LOVE to see a full price list for cocktails, beer and wine for our sailing. I've seen some older lists on this forum but not current ones, and Celebrity doesn't provide a list !! I'm concerned, for example, that a basic margarita, or mai tai, etc. with NON-top-shelf booze (forgetting the word for that) will be $8.50 which is OVER the cap of $8 with our packages. I don't want to sitting pretty thinking we'd get most of our drinks included, only to find out almost every cocktail is over the limit of $8! Can anyone help? Should I be concerned? p.s. we don't need top-shelf stuff.

Hello! We are first timers sailing on March 21, Reflection. We have the classic beverage package as a promotion. I'm leary of being blindsided and would LOVE to see a full price list for cocktails, beer and wine for our sailing. I've seen some older lists on this forum but not current ones, and Celebrity doesn't provide a list !! I'm concerned, for example, that a basic margarita, or mai tai, etc. with NON-top-shelf booze (forgetting the word for that) will be $8.50 which is OVER the cap of $8 with our packages. I don't want to sitting pretty thinking we'd get most of our drinks included, only to find out almost every cocktail is over the limit of $8! Can anyone help? Should I be concerned? p.s. we don't need top-shelf stuff.

I think you have pretty much answered your own questions in the course of your post. If you are not needing a "top shelf" set of liquors for your mixed drinks, the most common drinks you can ask for will be covered with your Classic Package.

I will tell you what I tell anyone that asks me and that is to try out the Classic package "as is" for a day or two while on the ship. You will have a chance to look at drink menus at every bay you visit and see what the prices are relative to the cap in the Classic Package. If the package meets your needs and you like the selections and pricing, then you are off to a good cruise.

However, if you don't like what is being offered, you can always choose to upgrade to the Premium package for $11.50 (per person, per day, including tax/tip). This cost is pro-rated for the remainder of days you have on the ship and can be done at any bar around the ship.

I have a NOV 2015 cruise booked and it has the 123 GO ALL IN promotion. I will be upgrading the package once on the ship with my OBC that I received for booking this cruise while on my last cruise. :D

Edited by vulcan1971

Easy hint with the Classic package- if you are interested in a particular drink, just ask the bartender to make it with what ever brand of alcohol will fit your package. The only drinks they cannot accommodate you with are in the Molecular Bar. In the Martini Bar you can usually get smaller versions of the Premium ones. We've never had a problem with any drink, but we're not that fussy about brands.

Keep in mind sometimes the selection for wine is limited to stay in the lower prices, especially in the specialty restaurants.

Also as Vulcan has said, you can always upgrade on board.

Enjoy the convenience of having the drink package.

The Reflection has 5-6-7 different bars that make 100-200-300 different combo's of drinks each. We sailed Reflection Nov 2013 with friends, who had the Classic pkg. They had a $3.50 tab at the end of the week, and never had an empty hand. Now the ultra fancy foo-foo combo's at the Molucular (sp) bar wont be covered, and can not be made to fit the pkg.

IMHO, spend the $11.50 per person per day and upgrade to the Premium. Then there is never a worry about what you want to sample or try. If you dont like it, toss it, and get something different. The pkg covers a lot more than booze too.

EW

ps: you will find enought 'stuff' that fits to make your eyes cross should you so desire!

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks for all the input! So in a nutshell, basic drinks I'd expect to have on vacation (margarita, mai tai, pina colada, frozen daquiri) using rail booze will be $8 or less. Right? I don't want to be blind-sided and find out they are $8.25, kicking them out of the package.

Thanks for the tip on waiting a few days before deciding to upgrade to the premium package. Also, fyi, customer service told me that it is OK for just one person of the couple to upgrade and not both. That surprised me because they thought couples had to buy two of the same drink package.

We are unlikely to drink $50 worth each per day, even including coffees and sodas, but since we go the package on the promotion, I'm really looking forward to not having to think about our bill, exchanging drinks I don't like, etc. Happy sailing!:cool::)

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Wallie4556, I'm right there with you! I will be drinking coffees (hubby not) but he may do tea. And bottled water, maybe a diet coke, etc. I have no doubt we'll appreciate having the package. It's a shame that Celebrity doesn't produce a price list, though.

Look at this and see if it helps any: https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

I think you have pretty much answered your own questions in the course of your post. If you are not needing a "top shelf" set of liquors for your mixed drinks, the most common drinks you can ask for will be covered with your Classic Package.

I will tell you what I tell anyone that asks me and that is to try out the Classic package "as is" for a day or two while on the ship. You will have a chance to look at drink menus at every bay you visit and see what the prices are relative to the cap in the Classic Package. If the package meets your needs and you like the selections and pricing, then you are off to a good cruise.

However, if you don't like what is being offered, you can always choose to upgrade to the Premium package for $11.50 (per person, per day, including tax/tip). This cost is pro-rated for the remainder of days you have on the ship and can be done at any bar around the ship.

I have a NOV 2015 cruise booked and it has the 123 GO ALL IN promotion. I will be upgrading the package once on the ship with my OBC that I received for booking this cruise while on my last cruise. :D

Spot on response, but we never had a problem with the calssic package last year. It seemed that almost everything we ordered was covered, you only get into trouble when you start requesting certain alcohol in your drinks or at the Martini bar. Take advantage of the waters for your excursions and stay hydrated.

Just want to say this is a very good response. Thank you for taking the time to explain. I love when I see someone be so helpful to new cruisers. After all, we were all newbies at one time.

We drink mostly wine, and it looks like most glasses are over the allowed limit?

Am I correct if OP states you have $8 limit - they seem to start at $9...?

Naw, there are selection's that work for the Classic.

My wife is not a wine snob, but we upgraded for her to get a red she liked, while her best friend was happy with what was on the Classic. It all depends on your taste buds.:D

In the Classic Beverage package, I believe the wine by the glass is up to $9.00.

Classic Package

Throughout your cruise, choose from beers up to $6 per serving, spirits, cocktails, liqueurs and frozen drinksup to $8 per serving, and wine-by-the-glass up to $9 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

*Starting from: 49.00 USD Per NIGHT

We sail on the Equinox later in the year and have the Classic pack through the promotion. It looks like it would cover me fine, all I really drink are daquiris. Though my husband is asking if these beers are sold on board - Carlsberg, Becks, Tuborg, Fosters, san miguel or Carling? If yes would they be included in the Classic package?

Every link I look at only seems to list American beers?

Wallie4556, I'm right there with you! I will be drinking coffees (hubby not) but he may do tea. And bottled water, maybe a diet coke, etc. I have no doubt we'll appreciate having the package. It's a shame that Celebrity doesn't produce a price list, though.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if a price list exists (or not). You are a captive audience for the time on the ship and you will choose to drink (or not). The beverage packages are an "automatic" way to assist you at the bar to not think and worry about pricing and also to help the cruise line to have a standard and confirmed revenue stream.

What would be helpful and appreciated by the passengers is if Celebrity would also reconsider raising the "price caps" in the Classic and Premium packages. Drink prices have gone up and caps have remained the same during the same period of time. Some items covered in the Classic package are no longer covered. Other items covered in the Premium package are no longer covered. Only in the Premium package can you order a drink and pay the "difference" between the package price cap and the cost of the beverage.

We sail on the Equinox later in the year and have the Classic pack through the promotion. It looks like it would cover me fine, all I really drink are daquiris. Though my husband is asking if these beers are sold on board - Carlsberg, Becks, Tuborg, Fosters, san miguel or Carling? If yes would they be included in the Classic package?

If these beers are sold, your best chance to find them would be to check out the Gastrobar, which recently replaced Cellar Masters.

Edited by vulcan1971

What would be helpful and appreciated by the passengers is if Celebrity would also reconsider raising the "price caps" in the Classic and Premium packages. Drink prices have gone up and caps have remained the same during the same period of time. Some items covered in the Classic package are no longer covered. Other items covered in the Premium package are no longer covered. Only in the Premium package can you order a drink and pay the "difference" between the package price cap and the cost of the beverage.

aha....you understand Celebrity's pretty obvious game plan on increasing revenue....offer a classic package with absolutely minimal drinks included as a sales tool....but get $11.50 per person per day from everyone to upgrade to Premium.

If you are not brand specific, there will be no issues.

The above list of drinks a couple had keep mentioning Pellegrino & Evian--those are only offered on the Premium package.

DH is a beer drinker--Classic was fine for him. We were in Blu last time so I upgraded to Premium so that the sommalier could bring me whatever for wine.

This time we are MDR--we are both going to stay classic. Interestingly DH usually drinks Blue Moon & that is now Premium (seriously, a Coors product??!!). But on a cruise he usually drinks Corona or pina coladas. I like mixed drinks & am really not picky with my wine at all, usually perfectly happy with house wines. Gonna try classic this time.

If I decide I need to upgrade I can at any time at a prorated price!

We were just on the Equinox in Nov and I dont know if I have one of the GastroBar beer menue's or not. But I think there are a couple posted on this thread about the GastroBar; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051239

There were only 3-5 of the Craft Beer selections that fit in the Classic limit. Except when they had 'Half Price' Happy Hour 1 time during our cruise.

Edited by wallie5446

aha....you understand Celebrity's pretty obvious game plan on increasing revenue....offer a classic package with absolutely minimal drinks included as a sales tool....but get $11.50 per person per day from everyone to upgrade to Premium.

Aha, as I am not the sharpest tack in the tool box, but do understand that there is a lot more $$ to be made on the passengers that 'DONT UPGRADE' than there is on those that do.

On the Equinox last Nov the wifester had 3-4 glasses of wine per day, @ $12.00 each. Had we stayed with the Classic we would have paid $48.00! Vs the $11.50 per day to upgrade, even useing Washington DC math I dont see a higher profit margin in those numbers.

Edited by wallie5446

We were just on the Equinox in Nov and I dont know if I have one of the GastroBar beer menue's or not. But I think there are a couple posted on this thread about the GastroBar; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051239

There were only 3-5 of the Craft Beer selections that fit in the Classic limit. Except when they had 'Half Price' Happy Hour 1 time during our cruise.

Thanks! Will see when we board what there is from that he likes, to see if we need to upgrade or not :)

Edited by The Shutterbug

Was on the 12/31-1/5 sailing of Constellation. I was very disappointed with the wine selection for the classic package. I am NOT an expensive girl - average $10-$13 a bottle at home, but the red wine selection was awful. Burn in your gut awful. The max for this plan was $9 a glass. For comparison, a glass of Kendall-Jackson Pinot Noir was priced at $13 a glass, and outside the plan. I did not recognize the label for any of the house reds, but they were all terrible. The classic plan does allow for all the fancy coffee drinks, at the coffee bar, and all manner of frozen drinks. If you are a red wine drinker, stay off plan or upgrade!

• 2 years later...

The drink package price on an up coming cruise aboard the Celebrity Solstice seems a lot at $85. CDN per day. We recently sailed on the NCL Getaway that had a promo Dine & Drink package that cost $380. CDN total for 3 specialty dinners and unlimited drinks. We will just use the onboard credit to buy our drinks onboard.