Will I regret not taking a stroller?

AwesomO

My husband and I, with our 15mos old daughter, leave for our 9 day cruise on Monday on the Norwegian Gem. I'm looking at our luggage and trying to figure out how to get everything to the port. We live in the same city as our port and plan on taking public transportation rather than car service. It will be faster, because of traffic, and we aren't bringing a car seat with us which is our biggest thing. I'm thinking I might just leave our stroller (uppa baby g luxe) at home and rely on the Ergo carrier only. I won't be able to pull our wheeled luggage if I am pushing the stroller, and we also don't have an elevator at our train stop.

Our plans are to walk to the fort in Puerto Rico for a couple hours, then head back to the ship. Then in St. Thomas we are doing Coral World and Coki Beach, so I don't think we will need it there. In St. Martin, we have a tour through a tour company and again we wouldn't bring it. And in Tortola we have a beach excursion through the ship- so again, I don't think we would need it there. The only place it might be nice is Puerto Rico and I don't k ow if we will need it on the ship.

My daughter does like the carrier, and I know it will get used, especially because I put her in there to nurse. Her stroller is a hit and miss with her, and doesn't carry much in the basket. I'm thinking it may just not be worth the hassle to bring with and the storage space, but I don't know. Does anyone have any advice on this? This is our first time cruising so I don't really know.

If it really seems like something we should have, our only other option is to have one person take car service with all the luggage and the other person take the train with the baby. That seems like a hassle, but if we really need it that's what we will do.

We took my son last year when he was 2 and we took a stroller. It was truly a life saver for us! We used it more on the ship then we did anywhere else. But my son loves his stroller and is fine with napping in it so I was able to lay out by the pool while he was sleeping. But I think it's really up to you on if you think it would be worth it to take it!

We couldn't have done our cruises with our 24 month or 36 month old son without our stroller, but physically both my husband and I are unable to use a baby carrier. Will you and/or your partner be fine with a baby carrier in the heat? Do you know how long and over what terrain you will need to baby wear? Are you also prepared to carry all of the baby paraphernalia you can just bring in the stroller if you don't have it?

When our son was little, we brought a ton of snacks and toys for excursions that were easily stored in the stroller. Our stroller didn't have much storage in the basket, but we were able to hang bags off the back (just be careful since some strollers can tip if you do this). We tried to book private tours primarily in case we needed to return to the ship, but an additional benefit was having a car we could leave stuff in as we traveled.

When my son was little, it was also beneficial to use the stroller on the ship if we were going far in the ship and he got tired of walking.

As we travelled through the airport, I carried all the small stuff (camera case, diaper bag, food bag) on the stroller. This may not be as helpful for you if there are no elevators at your train station.

The biggest downside of the stroller for us was that the ship's hallways are very narrow and often blocked by housekeeping carts. We'd often need to take everything out of the stroller and fold it up and drag it past the carts.

If you and/or your partner know you can successfully use the baby carrier in the heat and carry all the other baby stuff, then I'd say its fine to forgo the stroller. That physically wasn't an option for our family, but you will have a better sense of whether or not it would be an option for you.

Edited by kitkat343

I disagree with the above poster. I think it really depends on your habits at home and what you are used to. We brought our stroller and ergo since we could drive to the cruise. In port, we only used the Ergo. I also nurse in it. It was easier than lugging around a stroller, even an umbrella one. We did buy a special stroller for the trip (joovy light umbrella) which has a strap so you can wear it over shoulder so it didn't really make a difference in terms of bringing it onboard. We used the stroller some on the ship but mostly for the grandparents who came with us. Do you tend to carry around a lot of baby/toddler stuff? I don't so a stroller has no benefit to me in that regard. I was able to stuff my son's water bottle, a snack, diapers and wipes in a beach bag or my purse and we were good to go! Either way, have a great trip. We cruised with our son at 14 months and will again this Spring at 26 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

My husband and I, with our 15mos old daughter, leave for our 9 day cruise on Monday on the Norwegian Gem. I'm looking at our luggage and trying to figure out how to get everything to the port. We live in the same city as our port and plan on taking public transportation rather than car service. It will be faster, because of traffic, and we aren't bringing a car seat with us which is our biggest thing. I'm thinking I might just leave our stroller (uppa baby g luxe) at home and rely on the Ergo carrier only. I won't be able to pull our wheeled luggage if I am pushing the stroller, and we also don't have an elevator at our train stop.

Our plans are to walk to the fort in Puerto Rico for a couple hours, then head back to the ship. Then in St. Thomas we are doing Coral World and Coki Beach, so I don't think we will need it there. In St. Martin, we have a tour through a tour company and again we wouldn't bring it. And in Tortola we have a beach excursion through the ship- so again, I don't think we would need it there. The only place it might be nice is Puerto Rico and I don't k ow if we will need it on the ship.

My daughter does like the carrier, and I know it will get used, especially because I put her in there to nurse. Her stroller is a hit and miss with her, and doesn't carry much in the basket. I'm thinking it may just not be worth the hassle to bring with and the storage space, but I don't know. Does anyone have any advice on this? This is our first time cruising so I don't really know.

If it really seems like something we should have, our only other option is to have one person take car service with all the luggage and the other person take the train with the baby. That seems like a hassle, but if we really need it that's what we will do.

There's no way I would go on a cruise with a toddler without a stroller. We went when our daughter was 14 months old and used it all the time, not only in ports but on the ship too. I personally don't use a baby carrier but would think it would be more uncomfortable with such hot weather.

I'm having the same debate myself for our cruise. DS will be turning 19 months. We have a BOB which IMHO would be too big to navigate on the ship. I also babywear quite a bit so DS does great in my Ergo and in my wraps. I'm thinking of purchasing a cheap umbrella stroller that reclines (and has a good shade) so we can put him in that to nap when we're on deck.

As far as your ports, if the only place that you'll think that you will use it is San Juan, than I would probably skip it. It would be great for the walk TO the fort (assuming El Morro, I didn't get a chance to go to Christobal), but once your in the fort than quite a bit of the area didn't feel to me like it would be very stroller friendly. The main level would be fine but if you want to check out the lower areas its all steps so you would be carrying the stroller down.

The Ergo is really warm to wear in the heat though. I prefer to use a wrap in the warm weather. But I also got a Frogg Togg to try out on our cruise in April. I've seen several people recommend them.

http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Togg-Chilly-Pad-Blue/dp/B003YF7W22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420950474&sr=8-1&keywords=frogg+toggs

Whenever we go out, we take the stroller and the carrier and I feel 50% of the time she's in the carrier anyway because she prefers it to fall asleep. My husband and I can both take turns carrying her, but I do worry about the heat a bit, but whenever I took her to the beach last summer, i used only the carrier. I also have a mesh ring sling that might be cooler that I can take, but it isnt as easy to use or as ergonomic. The stroller tips pretty easily if anything hangs from it unless she is sitting in it

It seems most people who are saying take the stroller don't often use a carrier, so that's something I will take into consideration. And having to collapse it to get through the hallway if the cart is there will be a huge pain. It is difficult to fold sometimes. Thanks for all the input!

Once we had an umbrella stroller, we used it a lot until the girl was in school. It had a nice storage compartment underneath and also had a canopy. Whenever the girl wanted to nap or was tired, it was a lifesaver. And since it wasn't wide, great for narrow places such as a ship's hallway. We didn't take it when she was 3 as we were flying to the cruise. At times, I did wish we did bring it.

But then, I never got into using a carrier.

We always take an umbrella stroller. The extra storage is nice and we can hang our carry ons, backpacks and shopping from the handles.

How many suitcases are you taking?

I'd suggest you look at what you are taking and give it a dry run around your house. Also keep in mind how often you will actually have ALL your bags. For us it's usually about 20 minutes in an airport and 20 feet from a shuttle to a porter. That's about it.

We've done it with 4 suitcases, 4 carry ons and a stroller. Airports have those carts to put luggage on and my husband has mastered rolling 3 suitcases at once (2 back to back in 1 hand, 1 in the other) while I take the stroller, suitcase and all carry ons. There have been a few brief cumbersome moments, but not really . For the most part it is worth it.

I notice you say you are using public transport rather than a service.

Still doable, but in the long run you will probably be happier taking the stroller and using the service. If you do this you will be responsible to carry all your bags exactly 0% of the time. The service will get them in the car, drop them with the porters, after the cruise the porters will help you to the curb and then the service will help you to get home.

Take the stroller, even if you don't use it in ports, you will certainly want it on the ship.

I would either take one or rent one from the ship for that age. We brought a stroller when my oldest son was 9 months, 1 year and 18 months old.

Then we didn't bring one, when he was 3. We rented an umbrella stroller on the cruise and it was great. It was perfect for the long walk from the ship to the port and just around the ship in general.

Now my youngest probably wouldn't have used one at 3, we are planning a cruise in the next couple months and he will be 4 then. This is his first cruise, but I doubt he would have used a stroller at 2 or 3. He even hated riding in shopping carts. He always wants to walk. :confused:

Edited by Momtoboys2

We just got back from cruising with our 10 month old. We took the ergo and a stroller (umbrella type but with good recline, shade, etc.). We used both a lot, although we did not take the stroller into ports with us, just used it on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We brought both and mostly used the stroller. I bought a stroller specifically for traveling, it's a lightweight umbrella stroller that reclines pretty far back. It was perfect for naps and at night we brought it to the restaurant. She was so exhausted from the day she would fall asleep in it and we could enjoy our dinner and even roll her around the ship for the evening so we weren't stuck in the room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums m

I spent many evening on my cruises with toddlers with them asleep in the stroller (with a beach towel covering) while I enjoyed walking around the decks, having a drink in a lounge, etc.

Distances can be so far on a ship, and the wait to get on/off so long, I can't imagine doing a cruise with a toddler without a stroller. I'm sure it can be done, but the stroller provides a lot of freedom.

Best,

Mia

I took strollers until it my kids were 3 or 4 (perhaps even older) and it started to look like I was rolling around little giants (my kids are tall!).

Your baby is young, so you may be just fine with a carrier if she prefers that, but strollers come in handy especially for airports or walking around in port. Little legs get tired fast. I brought the carrier until my son was almost two and we had to start paying for an airline ticket. I felt safer having him in the carrier, plus he was sure to nap when nestled in closely to me.

When my kids were older (3 and 4) - I did feel comfortable leaving them at the kid's club and shopping in port, so we would put them in the stroller, they would fall asleep and DH and I would shop.

I was sad to eventually leave the stroller behind :(

Yes, you will definitely regret bringing a stroller! It will save your life waiting in lines and when your little ones get tired. We brought one on a cruise when our son was 4 and certainly capable of walking. But, it was a great place for him to rest or snooze or just get out of the sun. Also, it was useful as a place to park all our stuff and wheel it around in port. A lightweight umbrella stroller will do the trick.

My daughter was 16 months when we took her on her first cruise. We brought a Tula carrier and an Uppababy stroller, because we weren't crunched for packing space. I could have done without the stroller. I used the Tula exclusively in ports. On board the ship my daughter was fine walking or being in the carrier which I found easier to navigate the ship and crowds with than the stroller. I only used the stroller a few times because the Tula didn't go with my dress for dinner..lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, I think it's all a matter of what you are used to and how you prefer to travel. For shoreside, I think your Ergo (especially since you and little one are used to it) will do you fine, especially if you are traveling with a companion so one of you can wear the baby and one can wear a bag with necessary accessories. I wouldn't personally enjoy using a stroller on board the ship, but a lot there depends on how much of a hurry you are in and whether you're willing to travel at toddler-pace.