LIVE From the ALLURE, 11 Jan 2015, With Trainman-2, Judith, and LYRIC

Trainman, let me echo the prior comments by many. Slow down, enjoy the cruise through Lyric's eyes, we will all be here later. Your health, well-being and enjoyment of the cruise with your extended "family" is what's important.

Of course we love your pictures and can't wait for your next live report, but you do need to put yourself first!! Enjoy!!!

Unless you're a Trainman (Jim) and Judith "devotee", as MANY of us here are, you need to know that he doesn't just do it for our benefit, but to share with us his life experiences. Jim not only does "Live from" postings when on a cruise, but also posts almost daily, and many days multiple times per day to his personal blog page that can be accessed thru the CC forums page. All of us who check in on the daily goings'on of life in the country with Jim, Judith, their menagerie of "pets" of one kind or another and also the trials and tribulations of just daily "life", know and look for these postings regularly. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they share this information and yes, plenty of photos, with anyone who would like to tune in with them daily.

Okay, Trainman, back to your "Live from". We know you're having a ball and we are enjoying and appreciating every post and photo that you're willing to share!:D:D;)

Unless you're a Trainman (Jim) and Judith "devotee", as MANY of us here are, you need to know that he doesn't just do it for our benefit, but to share with us his life experiences. Jim not only does "Live from" postings when on a cruise, but also posts almost daily, and many days multiple times per day to his personal blog page that can be accessed thru the CC forums page. All of us who check in on the daily goings'on of life in the country with Jim, Judith, their menagerie of "pets" of one kind or another and also the trials and tribulations of just daily "life", know and look for these postings regularly. Out of the kindness of their hearts, they share this information and yes, plenty of photos, with anyone who would like to tune in with them daily.

Okay, Trainman, back to your "Live from". We know you're having a ball and we are enjoying and appreciating every post and photo that you're willing to share!:D:D;)

Not to derail this thread, but I was responding to the post below. I have been following Trainman for many years now and very much appreciate his live posting here and on his blog. Just wanted to make sure he knew he did not have to do all of this now and not to stress over it but enjoy his time on the ship and pop in as he can. We will be here when he is ready.

I have really been slowing down lately!

I spent New Year's Eve in the ER at our local hospital with urinary problems and when my Urologist cut me loose, he really read the riot act to me about over working and the need to take is easy.

I am 70 years old now and I think I have finally realized that I can't "do stuff" like I did when I was in my 20's.

This is affecting my cruising and live reporting. I simply can't walk and wander all over the ship like I used to when I started doing live reports years ago.

I remember doing the first Live Report from the Oasis only a few weeks after it entered service. I wandered all over the ship and took well over 1,000 photos even though I couldn't upload and post them all. But I did post the best ones.

There have been so many live reports from RCI ships, excluding the Quantum, that I don't need to photograph everything anymore.

With Ally and Lyric cruising along with us this thread is going to be more about them than the Ship.

So relax and follow along knowing that I have mellowed out and am taking it easy as my Doctor told me to.

Once again sorry to derail, but when someone quotes my post feel the need to respond.

Back to the Allure!! :D

Bad News From Home. :eek:

Our last two chickens and our rooster disappeared the day before yesterday.

There were heavy thunderstorms and high winds and when our pet sitter went over to close them up in their coop for the night they were gone and have not reappeared since.

Our best guess is that the Panthers that got our Ducks awhile ago came back. Although Panthers are normally nocturnal, heavy storms can provide them enough "cover" to venture out from where ever they are hiding during the day.

My first project when we get home from this cruise is to complete the bird and Panther proof enclosure for the chickens when we get home and then Judith is going to order some more chickens called "pullets" who are grown and within a week or two of starting to lay eggs.

Mother Nature can be Cruel at times...

Edited by Trainman-2

Jim, Can I asked how you arranged the wheelchairs? We will be going to Labadee in July and I know having one to take us to the tram or cabana will be a huge help for my husband.

They are normally waiting near the gangways. If they are not there, the RCI Security person at the gangway can call ashore and ask that some come out.

They make their money from tips and I normally tip them $5 for a ride to shore to a spot where we can meet the shuttle.

This is my September 5th 2010 cruise.

It is very sad and was a difficult time for me as I scattered my former wife, Carol's, ashes at sea from the Freedom.

As far as I know, the photos are still all there.

Jim, your review is still out there and the photos too. I have it bookmarked along with some of your other reviews.

We are all enjoying and following along with great interest on this Lyric experience.

Thanks for the time you spend sharing the cruise with all of us.

Enjoy it all.

Jim,

Take it easy and just sit around reading, watching and enjoying the view. I need your reviews to keep me happy because I fear that I have taken my last cruise. About two weeks before our last cruise, a B2B out of San Juan, my friend had to have emergency surgery and is still suffering from it. I am a bit older than you and have started to have problems getting around, from many back and leg surgeries.

Cyndi

I taught Junior High School level in the public schools in Florida. 7th & 8th grade Science but I converted to Pre-Vocational Agriculture which was really fun at the Junior High level.

I taught 4th and 5th grade science. In the last 8 years it has been only 5th grade science. I have been a teacher for 34 years and hope to continue for a few more years.

Trainman, I loved the pictures of you and Lyric out in the water and then of Judith, Ally and Lyric together - they are great! Labadee is one of my favorite places so the pictures brought back nice memories with the sun shining down on you. You are a lucky man to be surrounded by those 3 ladies!! :)

Finally caught up, thanks for sharing your slice of life with all of us. Been enjoying your live blogs and country home blogs for some time now. Have a great time with your family and cherish the moments, and please don't overdo yourself.

Dinner tonight was in Chops.

DSCN1929_zps53945527.jpg

We were all very disappointed!

SERVICE:

- It seemed disorganized with a lot of unnecessary waiting.

- It seemed like the staff was in constant motion but not much was getting done.

- When we finished eating we sat for 12 minutes before a server came by to talk about deserts or to clear the table. By then we were all hot and uncomfortable so we settled the checks and bailed out.

ENVIRONMENT:

- It was too warm in the restaurant

- Not the fault of the restaurant or staff, but there were a lot of noisy and boisterous people who made the atmosphere more like a hot dog stand than a fine restaurant.

THE FOOD:

- The food was good to excellent.

- One server served the main courses three at a time

- After the main courses were served we had to wait for the sauces.

- Then we waited for the family style servings of the side dishes

- Then we waited for the baked potatoes

- Then we waited for the butter and sour creme

- But most surprising was that the portions of the family style sides had shrunk beyond belief.

DSCN1925_zpsa79c123a.jpg

DSCN1926_zps319a0413.jpg

- The asparagus dish contained 6 spears of asparagus, one spear for each of us.

- We re-ordered the corn and sauteed mushrooms because they ran out before they made their way around the table.

- In the two photos above, the sides used to come on the white plates below the small cast iron dishes and there was always plenty for everyone. The small cast iron dishes sitting on the white plates seemed to be intended to make small portions look bigger.

My experience has taught me that there are three main factors that determine the success or failure of any restaurant:

- Good Food, reasonably priced

- Good service

- Portion control (not too much, not too little)

Tonight, the Chops on the Allure failed on the last two!

I can remember and not that long ago (well, maybe 3 + years), that eating in Chops involved 2-3 servers per table. You had a main waiter and his/her assistants.

It was an experience to remember!

Excellent service (almost too fast); food outstanding and one "family" size side would serve 4 and there were 2 of us.

The food presentation was simultaneous; main course; sides; no wait for anything.

Food presentation was something special.

Times have changed from what you describe. Hope you enjoyed your friends and family and I am sure made the best of it.

Thanks for sharing your Chops experience.