Amazing Cozumel Race--Book thru Celebrity or independently?

dhmjdds

Celebrity implies in their excursion materials that they have a separate "race" from the one that is available in Cozumel. "Inspired" by the Amazing Cozumel Race, or something like that. Has anyone done the Celebrity one?

Should I book independently for the best experience, or just go with Celebrity's version? The prices are pretty similar.

We are booking this excursion thru our cruise ship for this upcoming August.

We are sailing a different line (RCI), but have read the reviews and like what we read.

Since we are in a country we are not familiar with we always book thru the ship.

Supposedly they are supposed to wait for you if something happens.

It is a little more $$, but for us it is worth it.

The last review I read on it they had a great time.

Safe travels.

Why would there be a problem getting back to the ship on time? The whole thing is only supposed to take 4.5 hours. Does it (the actual Amazing Race) start at noon or something? I admit, I didn't see a start time on the website. Might have been there, and I missed it.

Edited by dhmjdds

I have looked at both and more than likely we will book the independent version instead of Celebrity's. The price is virtually the same, but with Celebrity's excursion you are only competing against whomever else on your ships signs up, which may end up not being very many. With the independent excursion, its everyone from other ships as well. Not concerned about getting back on time. This excursion has been run for a few years now and gets great review, which it would not if people were routinely not making it back in time. It only lasts 3-4 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: When I contacted the tour operator directly, I was informed that we need to book through Celebrity as it is the same tour. The price is virtually identical. So that is our plan. We will book once on board so we can use our obc to cover the cost.