Drinking water on the Pearl

Hpcomcom

The ship's water is perfectly fine.

I've answered this so many times, I'll just cut and paste my canned answer:

Ship's water is from 3 sources: distillation from sea water, reverse osmosis filtering from sea water, or shore side sources. The USPH has strict requirements about drinking water, it's production, handling, disinfection, and storage. USPH requires chlorination to sanitize the water at higher levels than most municipal supplies, and this can affect the taste. Water from the drink dispensers in the buffet and MDR, the bar guns, and ice makers are filtered to remove the chlorine mainly for maintenance reasons, so the taste can be "better". I put better in quotes, as water taste is one of the most subjective areas of life in the US. Everyone tastes water differently, and has a preference for more/less minerals, etc.

A Brita type water bottle or pitcher will do the same thing as the filters on the drink dispensers for the water from your sink in your cabin.

While most folks know that their local water supply chlorinates water, the USPH requirement is that there is always some residual chlorine in the water, since the water continually recirculates, unlike the one way piping from your water source to your house. Water samples are taken monthly and tested for bacteria.

Also...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ship+water+chlorine+site%3Aboards.cruisecritic.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You can find some lengthy discussions about this, but I think the ships' water is excellent, crystal clear, and taste free. A very few folks disagree. You might want to take just a couple of bottles so you can use the empties and refill them (or just buy a bottle on board for that purpose). To avoid spreading our germs, the ship does request that we don't refill direct from a public water source on board. Use a clean glass and pour from that.

The Pearl and Alaska, super good choices. Hope you enjoy that and cruising as much as we did and have since.

Thank you all. I am not concerned with the quality of the water, I am seeking info on availability of water. The advice to not fill bottles from public fountains on board for health reasons is very helpful. Tells me that there are drinking fountains, and that they are accessible.

We would just like to have a bottle of water in our cabin, and be able to fill a bottle to take on shore excursions without having to pay $$$$ for a bottle of Avian or some other commercial water.

Contrary to an occasional disbeliever, I find the water in the cabin to be exactly the same as the water found elsewhere on the ships. I can't tell a lick of difference. (and don't think there is) . I use the sparkling clean glasses provided by the cabin steward for the cabin and fill my glass there when ever I'm thirsty in the cabin. You can also put in a few ice cubes from you provided ice bucket.

Just off the Sun today. We were very pleasantly surprised by the water on board. We hadn't planned on drinking it (we brought bottled water...), but accidentally drank it the first night in the MDR and lived! Lol

In all seriousness, we are PICKY about our water and we drank it no problem. It was odor and flavor free, and left no ill effects. ;)

Just off the Sun today. We were very pleasantly surprised by the water on board. We hadn't planned on drinking it (we brought bottled water...), but accidentally drank it the first night in the MDR and lived! Lol

In all seriousness, we are PICKY about our water and we drank it no problem. It was odor and flavor free, and left no ill effects. ;)

....so.....bringing bottled water onto a ship is just a way to get some exercise?

....so.....bringing bottled water onto a ship is just a way to get some exercise?

You can leave the water home with all the other unnecessary stuff some CC posters suggest (e.g., bungee cords, hair dryers, duct tape, power strips, alarm clocks, towels, pillows, boxed wine [ugh!], etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We brought a plastic water bottle and just filled it from the tap in the room and then asked our steward to open the mini-fridge and put the water bottle in there (took out some of the drinks in there to make room). We also took some Mio and packets of lemonade mix to make flavors, but since lemonade and some flavored waters are free, we didn't end up using them. My boys made the mistake of opening the Aquafina bottle from the mini-fridge and it cost $5!