Suggestions for Teenager in Ketchikan

Travel_Maven

Our extended family will be on the Coral Princess in late June 2015. My husband and I have been to Alaska before but now we will be with 3 teenagers (our 13 year old daughter and 2 male cousins). Our stop in Ketchikan is brief but we are willing to do what our 13 year old wants to do. She is not a fan of "museums" so I'm not sure the totem pole stuff will be interesting to her. The ziplines are an option but it seems like the Juneau ones get better reviews. Right now we are hoping to do a glacier dogsledding tour in Juneau (weather permitting) and the train in Skagway with the grandparents. So...does anyone have ideas for teenagers in Ketchikan? Should we just go with a zipline anyway? We've considered the Crab Fisherman tour but my husband and I have done it and it eats up our whole day in the town. Welcome any suggestions!

Are they fans of the Alaska crabfisherman show? Great excursion. And recommend booking directly-

Bit less expensive and they board about a half block from the cruise ships.

My husband and I did it 5 years ago so we are hoping to find something we haven't done...but we are considering it if we can't find anything else she likes.

If money is no object there are float plane trips out to see the Bears at salmon runs up close-but they are quite pricy. I think anan may be open by then but not certain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 5waldos

If money is no object there are float plane trips out to see the Bears at salmon runs up close-but they are quite pricy. I think anan may be open by then but not certain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to keep shooting down your suggestions but since we are there in June, I doubt the salmon will be running. Would do it in a heartbeat though!

Edited by Travel_Maven

Sorry to keep shooting down your suggestions but since we are there in June, I doubt the salmon will be running. Would do it in a heartbeat though!

They begin trips the last week in June- to Anan which apparently starts earlier than many other places. How late in June are you going?

We took the float plane with Michelle at Island Wings but are you flying into the dog sledding? That would make it less interesting to them.

After that I run out of suggestions.

Just thinking about the kayaking! That is an option. I'll check with Island Wings. I assumed we were a bit too early for bears but it is worth checking into! We have also thought about zip lining but wondering if it isn't worth it compared to Juneau.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! :)

They begin trips the last week in June- to Anan which apparently starts earlier than many other places. How late in June are you going?

We took the float plane with Michelle at Island Wings but are you flying into the dog sledding? That would make it less interesting to them.

After that I run out of suggestions.

Just checked into Island Wings online and it says her Anan Creek tours don't start until July 1. We will be in Ketchikan on June 26. :-(

Permits are required at Anan, July 5 - Aug 25. While bears MAY be present prior to this date, it's an expensive excursion to do outside the peak viewing period.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/recarea/?recid=79154&actid=62

For activities in Ketchkan look thru trip reports in the STICKYs above and see what worked well for other families. (the 1st line of the report usually indicates who travelled and the itinerary)

That's what I remember from our trip 5 years ago Mapleleaves and why I doubted it would be worth the $. Thanks! Also, we've snorkled in the Caribbean and Hawaii. Thinking it would be awfully cold in Alaska and less to see but maybe I'm wrong. Right now ziplining and canoeing look to be our best options. Keep the ideas coming though everyone! Thanks!!

My husband and I did the Eagle Island Kayaking through the cruise ship in 2012 and loved it. We were rained on, but they supplied ponchos and we still had an amazing time. Our cruise happen to use Southeast Exposure (who are slightly cheaper when booking directly), and they were great! Hope you have a great time!