Flam Railway Question

Shawski

I prefered White Pass. We went up by coach and returned via the rail. THey had a very interesting movie on the later part of the coach telling the history of the area.

Flam. I enjoyed the coach ride more. It may have been because we came down in the afternoon, and the sun was a problem.

Then there is Kuranda Rail & Skyrail in Cairns That I really enjoyed.

NZ has a fancy rail as well. K

I can't say I prefered one over the other...I just love trains! We did the coach up and train back at White Pass, up and down on the Flam.

On the White Pass you can get better photos, as you can stand on the platforms either end of the coaches, Flam you shoot through the windows. Scenery is tunning at both, but lots of waterfalls on Flam (including a stop by one). I think Flam is a bit longer and steeper. If you go up to Myrdal on the Flam and await the next train back, there is nothing to do...its a station!! You can get a nice hot chocolate in the station cafe though! However, you could go to Bergen as stated above, or, if you feel energetic, hire a bike to go back to Flam (its downhill all the way!).

Simon

In case you decide for the train, absolutely make reservation on line before. In case of more ships in port train will sell out quick.

In case you decide not to take the train, have a look at this short bustrip to a viewpoint.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/sightseeing/attractions/stegastein-viewpoint/

Both the White Pass and Fläm railways are spectacular, although both are very weather dependent. On the Fläm line, you stop at the Kjosfossen waterfall for 15 minutes or so, where you just might get to see a Hudra dancing before the massive spray! I beg to differ about there being "nothing" to do at Myrdal. There are hiking trails and beautiful scenery. And, if you are really adventurous, you can rent a bicycle and ride the hair-raising road back down to Fläm. During the summer season, the train is packed; make sure that you book your ticket in advance.

image.jpg.bc160620aeb1565649fe84189af839e9.jpg

In case you decide for the train, absolutely make reservation on line before. In case of more ships in port train will sell out quick.

In case you decide not to take the train, have a look at this short bustrip to a viewpoint.

https://www.visitflam.com/en/sightseeing/attractions/stegastein-viewpoint/

Thank you so much for the link. It sounds like a good possibility if we don't do the railway. We took the White Pass Railway in Alaska this past summer and had terrible weather, so we didn't get much of a view.

We will be in Flam mid June next summer from 9:00a.m. to 6:00 PM. We have booked a Fjord cruise in the morning from Gudvangen to Flam and then the Flam train in the afternoon.Just hoping the weather is decent but I am not going to worry about it though.If you want to take the train or do any of the cruises you really do need to book in advance.

We will be in Flam mid June next summer from 9:00a.m. to 6:00 PM. We have booked a Fjord cruise in the morning from Gudvangen to Flam and then the Flam train in the afternoon.Just hoping the weather is decent but I am not going to worry about it though.If you want to take the train or do any of the cruises you really do need to book in advance.

I was on th a B2B that stopped twice in Flam. The first I left the ship ASAP and was able to get a ticket on the 11:00 train. By 9:30 it was sold out.

On the second I was off the ship at 9 and the train was sold out. The Fjord cruise had no problems.

BTW the bus to Gudvangen was 20 + km , 16 of which were in tunnels.