Oslo in May!

We will be docking in Oslo on May 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM - 4:15 PM.

We would like to see Frogner Park, Holmenkollenbakken, Akershur Fortress, the Resistance Museum and the Magic Ice Bar, if possible. What is the best way to get to the Park and ski jump?

This will be our second visit to Oslo and can't wait!

Thanks for your help!!!

Mary

We will be docking in Oslo on May 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM - 4:15 PM. We would like to see Frogner Park, Holmenkollenbakken, Akershur Fortress, the Resistance Museum and the Magic Ice Bar, if possible. What is the best way to get to the Park and ski jump? This will be our second visit to Oslo and can't wait! Thanks for your help!!! Mary

It's good that this is your second visit to Oslo. You are trying to do "LOTS" in a super-short time period. Given your ship's docking schedule, it seems that realistically, you might only have a "net" of four hours on the ground in this city.

They will want you back "ON" (not just near or around the ship) at 3:30 pm. Getting to the ski jump will take the most time for your logistics. Then, there is the "qualitative" question for how much you can just "see", versus, really taking the time to walk around, soak up and fully experience a great site such as the sculpture park. Seeing and doing only a quick drive-by? Or a more complete visit? What are your priorities and desires? Spending more for a taxi could be costly, but it might make your timing more efficient.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 168,566 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I thought I would have to give up the ski jump area! This is such a short port day. I guess I will have to make a third trip some day! How should I get to the park if I don't want a taxi? Thanks!!!

Agree, smart to skip trying to get to the ski jump area. You can see it from a distance in the main part of the city. Frogner Park or the famed Vigeland art is wonderful. See a few samples below. Well worth the visit, especially you like those creative types of things. There are ways to get their via public transit, but don't know if those schedule are as handy and easy. Can be done, but might take a little more time to figure it out and actually do.

Ship tours are not always the best or cheapest, but they sometimes solve your logistical needs and/or relieve you of the needs to hassle with these types of worries and details. Any reason not to consider your ship options?

More on Vigeland/Oslo art: Gustav Vigeland's astonishing figures show the whole range of human life presented in stone and metal. There are nearly 200 sculptures, comprising 600 granite or bronze figures, in the park's large landscapes. All were designed by the Norwegian artist, whose museum, with over 1600 more statues (and his ashes) is just five minutes' walk away. Vigeland also designed the park's layout and setting. He was described as versatile, obsessive and abrasive. It took years of debate before Oslo Municipal Council, in 1922, approved plans for a sculpture park which would express the struggles and aspirations of humanity from birth to death as the artist desired. The result is astonishing in concept, amazing in execution and setting. Walk through the big iron gates and you're on a broad avenue leading to a bridge on whose parapets are mounted. The children shown are more conventional and appealing. Across the bridge rises a big fountain, in the middle of which a ring of giants supports a huge bronze bowl. Like everything else in the park, it's large in scale. From its center soars the monolith, a nearly 40'-high slab of Norwegian granite weighing 180 tons. The 121 writhing, creeping, struggling figures on its surface took three carvers 15 years to complete. There's no denying the drama here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,904 views for this posting.

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are “priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat7.jpg

I thought I would have to give up the ski jump area! This is such a short port day. I guess I will have to make a third trip some day!

How should I get to the park if I don't want a taxi?

Thanks!!!

Oslo’s Tram #12 route is great for sightseeing. You can catch the tram near the harbor (Rådhusplassen tram stop - check location on google maps) and the tram crosses the Oslo city center and passes such sights as Aker Brygge, Rådhuset (the City Hall), Akershus Fortress, the Frogner neighborhood and Vigelandsparken.

You can buy a 24 hour pass and hop on and off wherever you like.

Edited by dogs4fun

We will be docking in Oslo on May 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM - 4:15 PM.

We would like to see Frogner Park, Holmenkollenbakken, Akershur Fortress, the Resistance Museum and the Magic Ice Bar, if possible. What is the best way to get to the Park and ski jump?

This will be our second visit to Oslo and can't wait!

Thanks for your help!!!

Mary

I haven't seen the berth assignments for 2015 yet, but you can check back here later in the year:

http://www.oslohavn.no/no/?template=cruise_list_no

Hopefully your ship will dock at Akershuskai or Vippetangen, which are the central piers in front of the city hall, alongside Akershus.

As others have said, the Tram 12 is the easiest way to get to Frogner Park. I assume you want to visit the Vigeland sculptures within the park? If so, you would want to take the tram towards Majorstuen and get down at the Vigelandsparken stop, which is right in front of the central park gates.

If you want to try to visit the ski jump, it's around a 25-minute T-bane (metro) ride each direction, plus about 10 minutes' walk up hill from the station to the jump itself. You can catch the T-bane either at Nationaltheatret, 5 minutes behind the city hall, or Majorstuen, 10-15 minutes walk or a 3-minute bus/tram ride east of Frogner Park. The T-bane would be Line 1, westbound towards Frognerseteren.

• 3 weeks later...

I will also be in Oslo in May.....hours say 10:30 to 4:30. I saw videos of the zip line on the ski jump and it really appeals to me. Has anyone done this?? I wish I could find a tour that includes that. I have just started to look so many I will find something but I would appreciate any thoughts. I have never been in Oslo before.

I will also be in Oslo in May.....hours say 10:30 to 4:30. I saw videos of the zip line on the ski jump and it really appeals to me. Has anyone done this?? I wish I could find a tour that includes that. I have just started to look so many I will find something but I would appreciate any thoughts. I have never been in Oslo before.

During May I believe they only do it on Saturdays and Sundays. You can find the information and make bookings on their website:

http://kollensvevet.no/en/

If you will be there on a day that it's available, it's not hard to get up there on your own. The Nationaltheatret T-bane (metro) station is just a few minutes walk from the pier, behind the city hall. Then you take the westbound Line 1 towards Frognerseteren and get off at the Holmenkollen stop. Follow the signs up the hill to the ski jump and ski museum (about 10 minutes walk).

I've never done the zipline myself, because I'm happy enough just enjoying the views from the top. The ski museum ticket includes entry to the top of the ski jump, where you can enjoy the observation deck and go out on the platform where the zipline starts.

Thanks for all the information. I was really hoping to find a tour that would include that because I am alone on this adventure and don't like to find my way on the transportation by myself. I have searched and searched and don't find anything that includes this. I am surprised that Disney doesn't have a shore excursion for that. I must be the only one interested!!

The tours in Oslo are pretty fixed. Most group tours in town are buses from abroad, so the cruiselines all generally use the few tour options that are here. Since the tourist season is so short, labor costs are so high, and it's a very easy city to get around on your own (plenty of English signs, and everyone is pretty much fluent), there isn't much of a market for tour/excursion companies.

Also, the increased port costs in Norway have led to a noticeable decrease in cruise calls this year, which makes it an even tougher market for tour operators.

Thanks for all the information. I was really hoping to find a tour that would include that because I am alone on this adventure and don't like to find my way on the transportation by myself. I have searched and searched and don't find anything that includes this. I am surprised that Disney doesn't have a shore excursion for that. I must be the only one interested!!

You are not the only one interested. We'd love to do that too but they are only open Sat/Sun for the zip line during that time period and we are there on Thursday. :( Disney has a couple excursions going up there , but nothing that includes the zip.

I thought I looked and saw that it was open in May....oh well....if this is true I can stop looking for how to get there. I REALLY wanted to do that zip line!!

It is open in May, but only on Saturday and Sunday. What day are you in port?

You are not the only one interested. We'd love to do that too but they are only open Sat/Sun for the zip line during that time period and we are there on Thursday. :( Disney has a couple excursions going up there , but nothing that includes the zip.

Hi....it looks like we might be on the same cruise. Disney Magic out of Canaveral on May 15th??

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, can you tell me if we will be able to use Euro's when we are in Oslo, for maybe a drink or a snack to eat.

Probably not. There are a few tourist shops near the pier that can take Euros, but it's very uncommon.

However, if you don't want to deal with cash, just about anywhere will be able to take credit card. Even if it's just a snack or a soda at a newsstand!

Probably not. There are a few tourist shops near the pier that can take Euros, but it's very uncommon.

However, if you don't want to deal with cash, just about anywhere will be able to take credit card. Even if it's just a snack or a soda at a newsstand!

Hi,

Thanks for your help

cheers

John