Cheers Program Tax Issue Solved once and for all

SurfCat

There seems to have been a disagreement as to whether the Cheers Program is taxed when purchased while in port.

We just got back from a sail on the Sensation out of Port Canaveral, and the amount that you spend on the Cheers Program itself is not taxed, however you are charged sales tax on the cost of any beverage that you get while there.

For instance, while still at the dock I ordered a Patron marguarita which is just shy of $10.00 and was charged something like .80 on my card. Once out of port, I ordered the same drink and the slip said 0.00.

Hope this clears some things up.

There seems to have been a disagreement as to whether the Cheers Program is taxed when purchased while in port.

We just got back from a sail on the Sensation out of Port Canaveral, and the amount that you spend on the Cheers Program itself is not taxed, however you are charged sales tax on the cost of any beverage that you get while there.

For instance, while still at the dock I ordered a Patron marguarita which is just shy of $10.00 and was charged something like .80 on my card. Once out of port, I ordered the same drink and the slip said 0.00.

Hope this clears some things up.

Also, the tax on the individual drinks have nothing to do with the cheers program. You pay the same tax whether you purchase the drinks individually or do the cheers program.

The confusion comes is when people actually use the search function and find old threads.

It used to be the total cost was taxed. Only recently (within the past year) has the individual drink been taxed. A big difference on an approx $600 purchase.

The confusion comes is when people actually use the search function and find old threads.

It used to be the total cost was taxed. Only recently (within the past year) has the individual drink been taxed. A big difference on an approx $600 purchase.

I had the Cheers program two years ago in January of 2013 on the Breeze. I believe it came out in June of 2012, but I could be mistaken. Our rate was 42.50 plus 15% tip, which was the original cost of the program. But I can unequivocally say that there was no total cost tax on the front end, only the few drinks we had on day 1 until we hit international waters. If your ship happens to visit Key West as a port stop, the individual drink tax will be applied there as well.

I do know that back in the day the Bottomless Bubbles program was fully taxed on the front end, so that is why people were recommending on these boards to wait until the ship hit international waters to purchase the program and save a few bucks in taxes.

This is not true... never has the program been taxed... I used it when it was in the trial phase as well as 3 times over the last 2 years... never a tax on the program, but always a tax on individual drinks.. not just in the last year... This is why people keep bringing this type of item up, as posters who never used the program, give incorrect information..

This is not true... never has the program been taxed... I used it when it was in the trial phase as well as 3 times over the last 2 years... never a tax on the program, but always a tax on individual drinks.. not just in the last year... This is why people keep bringing this type of item up, as posters who never used the program, give incorrect information..

First of all it doesn't make a difference now bc what happened in the past doesn't effect what's happening now.

Up until two years ago we were getting taxed on the soda program if purchased before sail away. Why wouldn't have Cheers been any different.

Each port is different.

I had the Cheers program two years ago in January of 2013 on the Breeze. I believe it came out in June of 2012, but I could be mistaken. Our rate was 42.50 plus 15% tip, which was the original cost of the program. But I can unequivocally say that there was no total cost tax on the front end, only the few drinks we had on day 1 until we hit international waters. If your ship happens to visit Key West as a port stop, the individual drink tax will be applied there as well.

I do know that back in the day the Bottomless Bubbles program was fully taxed on the front end, so that is why people were recommending on these boards to wait until the ship hit international waters to purchase the program and save a few bucks in taxes.

First of all it doesn't make a difference now bc what happened in the past doesn't effect what's happening now.

Up until two years ago we were getting taxed on the soda program if purchased before sail away. Why wouldn't have Cheers been any different.

Each port is different.

Sorry Sadie....but you're wrong. First of all, each port is not different, with the lone exception of Galveston because of the funky TX liquor law. As bigdog and myself has said, there was never any upfront tax charged on the Cheers program. I had purchased it two years ago when it was in the trial phase on the Breeze and he has gotten it 4 times. I had also mentioned that the soda program WAS taxed upfront. Why there was a difference, I do not know, but don't make assumptions when I can infer that you have never purchased the program.

It's nice to pass along second hand information on the boards as you're trying to help out newbies, but just make sure that you cover your butt and also mention that you don't have first hand experience with the situation and that you're assuming that because you were previously charged tax on the soda program upfront until the ship sailed into international waters with the Bottomless Bubbles program that the same was true with the Cheers program.