Need Advice for Alaska

rjrpar

Hi everyone,

We are experienced cruisers but this is our first time to Alaska and first time on HAL. We are doing the August 26, 2015 land and cruise tour into the Yukon for 15 days - land first.

Our question involves staying 1 night pre-cruise in Anchorage since we can't get there from the East coast until late in the evening. Since the HAL Westmark hotel is $300/night, our plan is to stay near the Anchorage airport the night of 8/25 and take a cab on 8/26 to the Westmark to start the land portion of the cruise. This would give us some time to rest up before starting the busy land tour

Any comments or advice on this plan would be greatly appreciated,

Bob

The airport is not a long ride from downtown, so this is a workable plan.

However, due to the time zone change from home, and the extremely long day getting to Anchorage, I would suggest coming in an extra day in advance to recuperate, if at all possible.

The land portion days are very long, and exhausting even for someone starting out rested; you won't. Coming in early will give you a little more time to adjust, rest up a bit from the journey getting there, and even see a little of Anchorage.

You won't be sorry.

Looks like the Westmark is $279 on Booking dot com. There are four or five airport options with the least expensive at $130 for that night (queen beds, no kings listed) which is a substantial savings over the Westmark, if it meets your needs. Others were $160, $210 $230... so not as much savings at these once you add in more taxi fares. I'd want to check also if the airport hotels have restaurants in walking distance... I didn't check that.

For myself, I'd make a reservation at a less expensive choice for the recovery day but make sure it is cancelable, and I'd keep checking the Westmark (or are there any other options close to it?) for a better deal.

Sounds like a wonderful trip in Alaska! m--

You didn't ask about food on the tour but I'm going to tell you. Alaska Brewhouse is right across the street from The Westmark and Humpy's Alehouse is around the corner, so there is great food in Anchorage. On 3 CruiseTours of Alaska/Yukon, we have always used the meal plan. I don't think you save any money, but you can have anything on the menu and it's nice to have meals, except for Denali, set. Have a great time!

You may want to call the Westmark personally to see what they might be able to do for you with price since you're staying there or at least doing a HAL tour the next day. (I wasn't too clear whether you were staying at the hotel with the tour for one night or leaving on the land tour after just meeting there.)

Sometimes calling in person will give you good results you can't find online.

Thanks for all the responses. I will contact HAL through our TA to inquire about adding 1 night at the Westmark. Seems like the prices at most of the decent hotels are high.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums