T-mobile Service on ship while in port - your experience?

Spike2000

You can actually use either cellular data or call through wifi. I use wifi in the ports that have it free because it is often a better signal. T-mobile offers both if you have the right type of phone.

Yes, but cellular data and wifi are different things, even if you can use them for the same purpose. And only cellular data is part of what is provided by your cellular company. Wifi is not something that is actually offered by TMobile or AT&T or whoever; it's simply a network someone else sets up and allows you to connect to. The poster to whom I was responding implied that wifi was part of their TMobile plan and I wanted to clarify the terminology since cell phone questions pop up frequently and people get very confused.

I Love TMobile's international plan. We have the simply everything family plan the four lines for $100. .

I have T Mobiles four lines for $100 also. I travel extensively out of the country and have a Samsung Note 4. All I need to do is get a wifi signal (easy enough in most countries (hotels, cafes, etc) and I call the U.S. for free. Texting also free. Love it.

That's really not "fine print." It's pretty widely understood that international roaming isn't free, unless you have a plan that provides it, i.e. TMobile.

Also, what you are getting from TMobile is cellular data, not wifi. Both give access to the internet, but they are not the same thing. Lots of places provide free wifi and it has nothing to do with what cell phone carrier you use. ;)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. TMobile's International calling is over wifi networks. If you are not connected to wifi then the call is 20 cents per minute.

What I was referring to has nothing to do with the internet, and everything to do with International calling.

Edited by SPacificbound

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. TMobile's International calling is over wifi networks. If you are not connected to wifi then the call is 20 cents per minute.

What I was referring to has nothing to do with the internet, and everything to do with International calling.

And maybe I wasn't clear enough. If you're using wifi then that is not related to your actual cell phone plan, i.e. you are dependent upon being somewhere where someone else (the ship, a local bar, an internet cafe, whoever) has set up a wifi network and allowed you to access it. My point was simply that someone said they got free wifi from TMobile and I clarified that while TMobile may allow free calling via wifi, the actual wifi connection is not provided by TMobile.

And maybe I wasn't clear enough. If you're using wifi then that is not related to your actual cell phone plan, i.e. you are dependent upon being somewhere where someone else (the ship, a local bar, an internet cafe, whoever) has set up a wifi network and allowed you to access it. My point was simply that someone said they got free wifi from TMobile and I clarified that while TMobile may allow free calling via wifi, the actual wifi connection is not provided by TMobile.

Yes, I am aware of that. :D