Ambergris Caye beaches

Haz73

I am planning on booking an excursion through Shore Excursions Group to Ambergris Caye. Once you're in San Pedro through, you're on your own. I've read you can rent a golf cart to get around the island. Most of the posts on here refer to snorkeling, but we're just looking to explore, shop & find a beach to hang out at for a while. I'm having a hard time finding specifics about beaches that people have been to. Where are the best beaches on Ambergris Caye? Are we better off finding a resort beach - maybe even w/ a beach side cafe? Or are there any nice secluded beaches where we can just hang out for a little while? What are the names and/or how do we get to these beaches from the airport?

Golf carts are a great way to explore. They are expensive. You need a drivers license and same laws as a car...No drinking. From the airstrip you can explore the town on foot. You just cant hit the "burbs". Beaches are not like Cancun, Hawaii or similar. There are a few nice sandy beaches in the town area where you can swim from the shore. A lot of the locals snorkel at the end of docks. You cant swim to the reef. You will need a boat for that.

Secluded beaches are a long drive from the airport. A couple of beach bars that I like are Crazy Canuks, about a 10 minute walk from the airstrip. Or Ramón's Village, five minutes.

we looked at that excursion but it seemed overpriced considering round trip airfare from the municipal airport is like $60.00 pp. flights leave both ways every hour and its a short cab ride from the port to the airport. I'm pretty sure I read that golf cart rental is around $20.00 an hour. we are gonna give it a shot in march.

Oh, when I looked at flights, they were like $65 each way, so the excursion was a better deal. But the excursion is now sold out & I'm afraid it's b/c those morning flights we need to be on are full. So we decided to go cave tubing instead. Thanks all for the input! I'm a little disappointed to not see La Isla Bonita - but I am excited for cave tubing! I've been torn between the 2 all along.

• 2 weeks later...
Golf carts are a great way to explore. They are expensive. You need a drivers license and same laws as a car...No drinking. From the airstrip you can explore the town on foot. You just cant hit the "burbs". Beaches are not like Cancun, Hawaii or similar. There are a few nice sandy beaches in the town area where you can swim from the shore. A lot of the locals snorkel at the end of docks. You cant swim to the reef. You will need a boat for that.

Secluded beaches are a long drive from the airport. A couple of beach bars that I like are Crazy Canuks, about a 10 minute walk from the airstrip. Or Ramón's Village, five minutes.

We will be there in mid February. Is it worthwhile to rent the golf cart? We hope to do a little shopping, spend some time at a beach bar or two and grab a meal near/on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am on the Carnival Glory calling Belize in mid-February and am thinking of flying out of Belize Municipal to San Pedro. Seems easy enough, my question is what sort of buffer should I plan for the tender to/from the ship? I believe we're scheduled to sail at 5pm, so I'm guessing 4pm is going to be the final/final tender?

Also, any suggestions on what to see & do on Ambergris?

Thanks!

Steve