Alaska on the Coral Princess

300dtc

Hi! This is a question for the female cruisers out there (although if any of the men would like to add anything, I'm listening :))

We are sailing the last week of May into early June and I'd like to know what type of clothing you wore on board the ship. I can dress in layers for outdoors and that doesn't worry me...but in the evening or during the day i'm just not sure. When you were dressed up in the evening for dinner did anyone wear evening sandals? and if you did, were you freezing? Is there anytime that you needed shorts for example?

I just don't want to take lots of long sleeved items and then there is some sort of heatwave...:rolleyes:

Thank you!

Hi! This is a question for the female cruisers out there (although if any of the men would like to add anything, I'm listening :))

We are sailing the last week of May into early June and I'd like to know what type of clothing you wore on board the ship. I can dress in layers for outdoors and that doesn't worry me...but in the evening or during the day i'm just not sure. When you were dressed up in the evening for dinner did anyone wear evening sandals? and if you did, were you freezing? Is there anytime that you needed shorts for example?

I just don't want to take lots of long sleeved items and then there is some sort of heatwave...:rolleyes:

Thank you!

I have worn sandals at dinner and wasn't cold. I always take shorts, and I always wear them, but I'm from the Seattle area where it doesn't get very hot, and I'm used to wearing shorts at 60 F. What you wear depends on personal temperature tolerances.

I wore denim shorts in port a few times, but might have been more comfortable in capris or slacks. It isn't hot, and could be cool. At sea, I would have been cold on deck in shorts even in June. They don't take much room, though, so you might want to take a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is normally cool in the evenings. I wear sandals year round, so that doesn't bother me much.

I would recommend some dressy tops with cover ups and capris/pants for dinner most nights. I take a few dresses for formal nights, but I find there are so many bulky clothes needed for an Alaska cruise that I don't have a lot of room in my suitcase for really dressy stuff to wear one each night. it worked much better to have versatile pants I could wear 2-3 nights with different tops instead.

I have felt on my 3 Alaska cruises that the atmosphere is more casual than a Caribbean cruise. I think because many are doing land tours as well as packing for the outdoors, they do tend to cut back on their dressy attire. In addition, there are more first time cruisers who may not be aware of all the dress codes. I actually prefer it this way :)

Light sweater jacket/cover ups are my friend on these cruises. I have a few dressy ones that work well at night to wear if I'm cold and small enough to carry around to different venues if I'm not.

That's the exact timeframe we usually do the Alaska cruise. We have experienced 50s and rainy all the way up to 70s and sunny! The norm is usually 60s with rain a few days and sun a few days. Layers are key when outside. Indoors, I wore my usual sleeveless cruise dresses and sandals and was fine. I did bring a sweater with me around the ship. I wore short sleeved shirts and jeans during the day indoors. We have swam a few times outside because of the warm temp. Have fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the Coral for Alaska. Fabulous. For dinner, I took a few pair of black pants and tops to mix/match, black sandals, and added dressy long sleeve tops for formal evenings. For shore excursions and for Glacier Bay, jeans and tees with layers and lightweight sweaters worked well. Took one lightweight coat. We didn't pack bulky items. Added gloves/scarf for Glacier Bay and walking on Mendenhall Glacier. What glorious memories. On board, just jeans, tees. Didn't take shorts. Never really warm enough to warrant packing them. We pack light. Have a great cruise!

That's our favorite time as well! Normally my day-wear on the ship is a pair of soft drawstring pants or capris and sweatshirt with sneakers. Depending on the shore activities it's jeans, dockers or capri. For dinner it's nice pants and tops with sandals - and I bring a light shawl because the air conditioning at dinner makes it a tad cool for me. There are tons of tee-shirts available at the various ports, so typically we may bring one or two and then buy a few once we hit town. Alaska is wonderful - have a great cruise.

Edited by LoriPhil