Shopping in Port

ArkTraveler82

This year, we are booked on the Conquest for an 8 day cruise and I'm curious about the best ports for shopping. On our last cruise, we stopped at three ports but our excursions were so long, we didn't leave ourselves any time to shop for souvenirs and gifts. So this year, we plan to pick one port to leave free for shopping and I'm wondering what ports any of you might suggest for the best shopping. Our ports we will visit are Grand Turk, La Romana (Dominican Republic), Curacao, and Aruba. To be honest, the only excursions that look to be of interest to us are in Aruba and Grand Turk but I'm not sure if La Romana or Curacao offers much in the way of shopping. Any suggestions from cruisers who've visited these locations?

Thanks!

Have not been to LaRomana but looking at port information, it doesn't look that good. And Carnival is switching to the other side of the island in the fall. Too bad not the spring... Anyway...

In Curacao, there is a large shopping area near the port. If the ship docks at the Megapier (which it probably will), go off to the right, cross the channel (via the pontoon bridge). On the other side of the channel is a large shopping area.

I have taken this exact cruise. The best shopping would be in Curacao. LaRoma , I would not even venture off the ship unless you have some type excursion. There is also great shopping in Aruba if your tour allows you enough time. We took a tour in Aruba and still had some time left to do a little shopping

Have fun , this was my best cruise so far and I've been on quite a few

Have not been to LaRomana but looking at port information, it doesn't look that good. And Carnival is switching to the other side of the island in the fall. Too bad not the spring... Anyway...

In Curacao, there is a large shopping area near the port. If the ship docks at the Megapier (which it probably will), go off to the right, cross the channel (via the pontoon bridge). On the other side of the channel is a large shopping area.

Thanks Snc Cam... I need to check out the port info. Looks like you found some interesting information. Thank you!

I have taken this exact cruise. The best shopping would be in Curacao. LaRoma , I would not even venture off the ship unless you have some type excursion. There is also great shopping in Aruba if your tour allows you enough time. We took a tour in Aruba and still had some time left to do a little shopping

Have fun , this was my best cruise so far and I've been on quite a few

Thanks taecruise2. We're traveling with friends who had already booked this cruise and I've been a little apprehensive of this itinerary because of a couple of the ports, so I like hearing that this was your best cruise! But then, any cruise is a good cruise! LOL. I've always told my husband I wish we could go to a port that wasn't so busy, maybe get off the ship, walk around, then spend the day enjoying what the ship has to offer. Sounds like La Romana might be that day! I'm especially excited about Aruba. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

This southern itinerary is the BEST! Loved that cruse!!!! Anyway, don't rule out Irie tours in Curasau.A really good time, plus reasonable. They dropped us off back near our ship and we were able to walk across the pontoon bridge for some decent shopping. I rather enjoyed The Dominican. Just check for a pre planned excursion while there. We went through Carnival, but that was mainly due to being inexperienced. Grand Turck has expensive shops. But it was enjoyable to browse. You will love this itinerary. Have fun!

Curcaco and Aruba both have good shopping for the Caribbean. Mind you, there are very few 'bargains' but if you are looking for souvenirs and such, you'll find plenty in the Dutch Islands. :) They are among my favorites

Across from where the ship docks, you will see entrance to a lower level mall. There are some moderate priced shops in that area. On the main streets, there are some costly designer shops such as Louis Vuitton, Ferragamo, Gandelman's Jewelers. Gandelman's is one of the few places outside of Italy to buy Alviero Martini (Prima Classe)handbags, ties, belts etc. We used to find them in St. Maarten but haven't for years. Curacao had a Gandelman's until about 1.5 years ago and they closed that store. I love that line of accessories.

Edited by sail7seas

We went on an excellent excursion in La Romana - the Saona Island speedboat tour, not ship-sponsored. It was absolutely beautiful, a fantastic beach day. It's been 2 years since that trip, I think, and I have zero recollection of any shopping at that port?

As others have said, Curacao and Aruba are best for shopping.