Dinning - Houston and San Antonio

jmele999

We are going on a cruise out of Bayport this weekend. Any recommendations for food that we should try while in Texas. We are driving from IAH to the port so we can make a stop for breakfast Saturday morning prior to boarding the Jewel. After the cruise we are driving to San Antonio so we are also looking for recommendations in the San Antonio/Riverwalk area.

Lastly, we are driving from Houston to San Antonio. Any must see along the way?

Thanks.

The drive between San Antonio and Houston is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy boring. Once you pass Katy Mills mall there really isn't much of anything besides grass and trees until you get to SA. (Wave as you go by the Flying J truck stop just past the mall as I live a little north of it. :D ). And for what it is worth, the drive between Houston and Dallas is just as dreadful.

There are many threads on what to do in Houston, but since you are heading west....I guess the Alamo would be one thing to hit over there. (I've lived in TX for almost 18 years and have never been there myself :eek: )

Lots and lots of ideas. :) What are your interests? They have Sea World in San Antonio and more local culture would be the Alamo of course. :) We really like a Mexican Restaurant down about 15 min from the pier in Bay Cliff - right outside Kemah on Hwy 146. It is called La Brisa and if you look at mexican restaurants in Bay Cliff it comes up on Trip Advisor. I'm always concerned on here what I can say and what I can't or I'd put the link up. :) Another Mexican Restaurant that would be more fast food in a way but it is all cooked right there and they have a bunch of salsas and a great place for breakfast is any Taco Cabana. I know there is one in Kemah but there are also some along the way from Houston I bet if you check the net. We will stop in Kemah on the way to Galveston when we cruise out of there. :) If you were staying in the area the NASA space center is a great place to visit and it is about 15-20 min from the port in Clear Lake. If you are taking I10 to San Antonio there are state parks that might be fun to drive through like Stephen F. Austin and Palmetto to get an idea of Texas.

One other idea about San Antonio is the Hill Country right outside San Antonio and has a bunch of wineries and lakes. Fredericksburg is a German Town that has a great brewery with food and the Admiral Nemitz World War II Museum and the Lyndon Johnson gardens I believe....

TruckerDave - shame on you for not going to the Alamo after living in Texas so long!! LOL Just kidding. It is interesting piece of history though and like TruckerDave I am more familiar with stuff in Houston as I have not been to San Antonio in years - but I did do the Alamo - LOL :) We like the Hill Country better...

TruckerDave - shame on you for not going to the Alamo after living in Texas so long!! LOL Just kidding. It is interesting piece of history though and like TruckerDave I am more familiar with stuff in Houston as I have not been to San Antonio in years - but I did do the Alamo - LOL :) We like the Hill Country better...

I have been to NASA and Moody Gardens.....though it was when I had guests in town and was playing tour guide. ;)

I have gone to the USS Texas a few times on my own. :D (I am a bit of a Navy history nerd)

The drive between San Antonio and Houston is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy boring.

world's BIGGEST understatement. you are going to have to program the ipod for the most 'keep awake' music you can stand.

Hubby just had a command function at Biga on the Banks at Riverwalk that he said was excellent( but uber pricey)

we like the Egg and I ( more eggs Benedict than you can shake a stick at) for breakfast or Jim's

oh yeah and Rudy's for Barbecue. get the brisket wet. and the creamed corn.

Edited by spookwife

I really like Casa Rio on the Riverwalk. It's not the nicest looking place but the food is great, it's reasonably priced and it's been there since 1946. My wife loves Shilo's Deli. Really though you can walk down the river and pass 10 great restaurants, just pick one. They are all good or they wouldn't be there.

If you wanted to venture a little to the North (they have water taxis) the Pearl brewery complex has some phenomenal restaurants. The Culinary Institute of America only has 3 campuses and one of them is in San Antonio. Their students intern/work at the local restaurants so the quality of the food and service is generally world class but at fair prices. La Gloria has the best Mexican food I've ever had.

I have been to NASA and Moody Gardens.....though it was when I had guests in town and was playing tour guide. ;)

I have gone to the USS Texas a few times on my own. :D (I am a bit of a Navy history nerd)

Been to the USS Texas a couple of time too - the last time was last year - it was the 100th anniversary. :) Love ships and been to the frigite in Galveston and the Submarine at Sea Wolf Park. Want to see the USS Lexington in Corpus. :)

Anyone notice the OP was asking for dining suggestions? They are staying at/near the Riverwalk. Asking for suggestions about food it seems.

They also asked for must seees.... :D

As for eats I think there is a Buckey's on the way to San Antonio and everyone raves about the Buckey Nuggets - just tried them for the first time and they are ok... :)

Not sure how much time you will have driving to the port

if your looking for a great drive thru that you wont find anywhere else

Try Pappas BBQ, there is a few right off the freeway on your drive down

They have a Brisket breakfast taco that is pretty darn good.

Most of the good sit down places for Breakfast are not along your route to the port from IAH

Or they will have a long long to get in

Edited by jonbgd