Anyone tried the "Studio with Balcony" cabins (SB) on Quantum yet?

westcoasttech

Anyone tried out the SB category on Quantum yet? Can anyone confirm the size and location, and whether the balcony area is significantly smaller?

Listed as "Super Studio Ocn Vw Strm w/Bal" on their website, the ones I see available (for upcoming cruises in Jan/Feb) seem to be "Guarantees". Would there would be a reasonable chance of ending up in a "normal" balcony category, as I understand that the "studios" are very limited in number?

I'm presuming that as they are "solo" occupancy you would only get single C&A points for them? Not that that would particularly influence my choice.

Also wondering that as a Diamond member does the "balcony discount" kick in for them, as they do appear under the "Balcony" section on the NCL?

Anyone tried out the SB category on Quantum yet? Can anyone confirm the size and location, and whether the balcony area is significantly smaller?

I am sailing in one on Friday. A friend is in "my cabin" sailing now. The balconies ending in '48' are significantly larger. The smallest balcony should be about the same as a regular balcony.

Listed as "Super Studio Ocn Vw Strm w/Bal" on their website, the ones I see available (for upcoming cruises in Jan/Feb) seem to be "Guarantees". Would there would be a reasonable chance of ending up in a "normal" balcony category, as I understand that the "studios" are very limited in number?

Someone on our sailing took an SB guarantee and she ended up with a D3 forward which she was able to swap for a D3 more midships.

I'm presuming that as they are "solo" occupancy you would only get single C&A points for them? Not that that would particularly influence my choice. Yes you get single points.

Also wondering that as a Diamond member does the "balcony discount" kick in for them, as they do appear under the "Balcony" section on the NCL?

I booked 18 months ago and was able to get the full D+ discount applied before they changed the rules. RCL is now giving you only half the balcony discount for a solo.

I think I've lucked out on this one. I booked the first day 18 months ago when the price was lowest. My balcony will be enormous. I got the full balcony discount. I'm not going to see this kind of deal again.

Thanks for the info, 138east!

After a little digging I found some older posts with some photos, they look like a pretty good deal (when you can find them!).

Pity there's so few available, finding them available (for something that the dates/places work for me) is seeming to be a pretty tall order - I've only seen a couple pop up on the last minute deals - oh well, I'll keep looking!

Edited by westcoasttech

I am glad you posted this. I'd really love to get more info on these rooms. I've seen the RC promo of the rooms, but there aren't a lot of Youtube videos (I really like those to actually see what is going on), so I feel like I really don't know what these look like.

I'm pretty much decided that NCL Breakaway is my next cruise because there are sooo many videos of that cruise and the solo cabins, I feel comfortable.

Wish I could get more info and videos on the Quantum rooms.

Those are great pictures, but they are pictures of the SI cabin, which is actually an inside cabin that shares a vestibule with a balcony and a junior suite. There would be no balcony access unless you were traveling with the folks booked in the adjoining cabins. The SB cabins are real balcony cabins, but smaller than a normal balcony with no love seat or sofa.

On the Royal Caribbean form there is a link to the Quantum at the top. Do a search to find pictures of the SB cabins.

I am one of the solos Carol is talking about. I booked the SB solo balcony guarantee this weekend for next Friday. I didn't think there would be any solo cabins left and sure enough there weren't. So I was assigned a D2 balcony at a single rate. But if you have to carefully plan your vacation time, as I had to when working, waiting for a last minute deal won't work. I did see cabin 6648 on a cabin crawl and I know I could have comfortably stayed there.:)

Edited by Lady Hudson

Here are some SB balcony cabin pictures from one of the '48' cabins.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133769&highlight=studio

You can see how large the balcony is compared to the chair size.

Wow, that's a decent size balcony. The room is cramped, but I personally don't care about that. I like the idea, although not sure I'm interested in traveling on that large of a ship! Might check it out, though.

I was just in one of the SB cabins. As the cruise got closer I was getting very concered with storage space for a 12 night cruise. I'm not one of those people who brags about packing for a month in a carry on with room to spare. When I first walked in my initial impression was it was tiny. But I unpacked, put everything away and it all fit. I stopped worrying about space. Yes, a chair/loveseat/sofa is nice but the balcony more than made up for it! And the location was great as well. I would book one again.