Going on RCCL charter soon, but I've got some questions...

Pellaz

So, I'm embarking on Liberty in about a week for a music charter ("60 bands! 4 stages!"). I last sailed on Royal almost 5 years ago on Majesty, and since then I've sailed on Carnival 4 times...please, no haters; I like both cruise lines. (Heck, If that first cruise on Majesty hadn't been so much fun I wouldn't have cruised again...I'll always remember my first time with fondness. :) )

Anyway, I realize that comparing Majesty with Liberty is silly, and I'm really looking forward to cruising on my biggest ship so far. (I'll miss the Compass Deli on Majesty, though. That was good, free, and never a big line.)

I DO have a few questions comparing Royal and Carnival, though.

1. Does Royal have a "behind the scenes" tour offering, similar to CCL's Behind the Fun tour?

2. Does Royal have an expedited boarding program like CCL's Faster to the Fun program? (I'm guessing "no" on both of those...a shame, since I experienced the horror of boarding and debarking at FLL last October.)

3. I've already purchased the soda-only package. Does Liberty have FreeStyle Coke machines? (Please say yes.) If not, are conventional chip-activated soda machines available instead, as they were back in 2010?

4. Do Royal's shore excursions include transportation from and back to the pier? The descriptions don't explicitly say so. On the brighter side, the prices seemed equal to or LESS than Carnival's.

5. Our one and only port visit is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Any suggestions regarding shore excursions?

6. Is debarking at FLL always a 1-2 hour chore? It was awful last October, with a long line at Customs and then a long wait for the hotel shuttle due to backed-up traffic. (Seemed like Miami was MUCH better laid-out.)

I'm really looking forward to this. Even aside from the musical aspect of the cruise, I can't wait to get back on Royal after a long absence. It will be...odd...experiencing a full-boat charter where there is no MDR dress code, no Broadway-style shows, a giant stage on the pool-deck, etc. :D:eek:

2. Does Royal have an expedited boarding program like CCL's Faster to the Fun program? (I'm guessing "no" on both of those...a shame, since I experienced the horror of boarding and debarking at FLL last October.)

Have you registered with Crown and Anchor? As a past cruiser you will go through in the Gold line.

4. Do Royal's shore excursions include transportation from and back to the pier? The descriptions don't explicitly say so.

Yes

Raina

So, I'm embarking on Liberty in about a week for a music charter ("60 bands! 4 stages!"). I last sailed on Royal almost 5 years ago on Majesty, and since then I've sailed on Carnival 4 times...please, no haters; I like both cruise lines. (Heck, If that first cruise on Majesty hadn't been so much fun I wouldn't have cruised again...I'll always remember my first time with fondness. :) )

Anyway, I realize that comparing Majesty with Liberty is silly, and I'm really looking forward to cruising on my biggest ship so far. (I'll miss the Compass Deli on Majesty, though. That was good, free, and never a big line.)

I SO agree about the Compass Deli. I love it.

I DO have a few questions comparing Royal and Carnival, though.

1. Does Royal have a "behind the scenes" tour offering, similar to CCL's Behind the Fun tour?

Answered already by Bob: All Access Tour, $150. If you don't see it listed in the Cruise Compass, inquire at the Guest Services desk.

Nope. Wait with the rest of the peons. ;)

Just kidding. Save your money. Try to get to port around 1 or 2, after the main rush is over. You'll walk right on.

3. I've already purchased the soda-only package. Does Liberty have FreeStyle Coke machines? (Please say yes.) If not, are conventional chip-activated soda machines available instead, as they were back in 2010?

Sorry, no Freestyle machines. Just go to any bar to fill your Souvenir Coke Cup. Or any cup. Or just ask for a glass.

4. Do Royal's shore excursions include transportation from and back to the pier? The descriptions don't explicitly say so. On the brighter side, the prices seemed equal to or LESS than Carnival's.

I have never seen one that doesn't. (unless it specifies in the description that it "drops you downtown" or some such wording)

5. Our one and only port visit is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Any suggestions regarding shore excursions?

Any of the Taylor clan: Peat, Courtney, etc. WHAT you want to do depends on how active you are. Use the Jamaica board for more info and ideas:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

6. Is debarking at FLL always a 1-2 hour chore? It was awful last October, with a long line at Customs and then a long wait for the hotel shuttle due to backed-up traffic. (Seemed like Miami was MUCH better laid-out.)

Unfortunately, Liberty is not the best ship (terminal) for efficient loading and unloading. Luck of the draw. VERY different story for Oasis/Allure.

I'm really looking forward to this. Even aside from the musical aspect of the cruise, I can't wait to get back on Royal after a long absence. It will be...odd...experiencing a full-boat charter where there is no MDR dress code, no Broadway-style shows, a giant stage on the pool-deck, etc.

Have a blast. Sounds wonderful.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Thanks for the answers.....although I'm disappointed that Liberty doesn't have FreeStyle machines. I gather from the comments there are no 'regular' fountain soda machines either? That's....annoyingly Carnival-like.

Incidentally, even the presence of a regular fountain machine (as on Majesty back in 2010) would make RCCL's soda package a lot better than Carnival's to me. I always hated bothering a bartender for a soda when it was clear they'd rather deal with a "revenue" customer...and that's the ONLY way it works on CCL.

The All-Access Tour sounds a bit rich for my blood, even if it's offered during the charter (it might not be). I'll look for it in the Compass...what does it include?

Regarding Gold Line boarding... I think I'm already a member of C&A...but it wouldn't do much good anyway. This is the fifth year for this particular charter and the return rate for previous "survivors" ( :) ) is extremely high. The only way I was able to book it this year is because they moved to a larger ship and had open slots after the pre-sale was over. ...All of which means that most of the people boarding will have more seniority than me! :)

If it makes you feel any better, I have never been treated like I was bothering them when i just ask for my Cokes with the package on RCI. Everyone has always been nice about it and more often than not they learn my and start getting a coke with lots of ice ready before I even make it all the way to the bar to ask :D

Boarding at Pt Everglades is easy but debarkation may be another matter. We've been in and out of Pt Everglades numerous times and our only complaint is the long wait to debark at the end of the cruise. Seems only 2-3 customs agents work on weekends. It took us 4 hours from the time we left our cabin to getting to our car in the car park in November. But, I guess customs agents are in short supply nowadays. Those with early flights home, lotsa luck. Be sure to request early debarkation if you need to be at an airport before 1pm.

Have you registered with Crown and Anchor? As a past cruiser you will go through in the Gold line.

4. Do Royal's shore excursions include transportation from and back to the pier? The descriptions don't explicitly say so.

Yes

Raina

Actually, not always. DS and DD did Tulum from Cozumel. They had to get a taxi from the ferry dock. But, I believe that was stated in the description. There was a ride from the ship to the ferry included.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I realize this is a different line and organizing group, but I was on a Blues Cruise last year on HAL. Same situation -- repeat cruisers snatch up every reservation as soon as they open, with just a few of us "virgins" able to sneak aboard.

It was AMAZING. Music everywhere from late morning to very early the next morning, including some fantastic impromptu jam sessions.

The main reason I am posting is that if it's anything like our cruise, you will find the staff incredibly eager to serve. The HAL crews LOVE the blues cruise, because it's such a different vibe than their regular passenger base. So much positive energy, lots of drinks sold, and tips are good.

But it's also very different from a regular cruise, so some of the usual offerings may not be there. Not sure about the theater; on our cruise the front rows were removed to allow for some dancing, but most of the theater seats were still there. The main difference was the main pool (which is on the back of the Nieuw Amsterdam) was covered to allow for crowds to watch the main stage back there:

12205960715_58ce60ded1_z.jpgP1050960 by suegee57, on Flickr

12205618875_8914148536_z.jpgP1060045 by suegee57, on Flickr

I know you'll have a blast!! A ship full of music and like-minded people just can't be beat.

Thanks for the info about embark and debark delays. Luckily we're driving down from Atlanta and staying at a stay-park-free-cruise hotel in FLL, so we won't be pressed for time on debark day. The hotel shuttle, however, will probably be badly delayed getting TO us, just as we'll be delayed trying to exit the terminal. :eek:

interesting

looking at the charter it says

We spare no expense to remove seats in the theater

will Royal really remove all the seats:confused:

Maybe not all, but quite a few.

They will also cover over the "main" pool so the area can be used for viewing the stage, which they say is the largest open-air stage afloat.

The Sphinx and Studio B -- presumably with the ice-rink covered :) -- will also be used as concert venues.

After this, I might book a "regular" (and much cheaper!) cruise on Royal just to relax, and see how they've changed since 2010.

Ooops, forgot to reply to this earlier....

The main reason I am posting is that if it's anything like our cruise, you will find the staff incredibly eager to serve. The HAL crews LOVE the blues cruise, because it's such a different vibe than their regular passenger base. So much positive energy, lots of drinks sold, and tips are good.

Oh, definitely. From all accounts, the crew LOVES this event, so much so that some crewmembers request assignment to the ship during the charter. In years past on Majesty, the charter travelled to ports like Grand Turk, Cozumel and Costa Maya, giving the crew a different port to see than her usual Nassau/Coco Cay/Key West itinerary.

As for drinks sold.... Back in 2010, forewarned about the drinking proclivities of a bunch of black-clad, longhaired metalheads, Royal stocked an additional 20% extra in alcohol for the 5-day cruise.

...And all to no avail: they ran out of beer before they reached Cozumel at the midpoint of the cruise. :D