Do you cruise to look @ the ocean through a window?

troyphoto

In 2005 I experience my first ever cruise on the Norwegian Jewel in her inaugural season. I fell in love with cruising then.

• Not for the ports... they're nice and all but...
  • Not for the friendly staff - don't get me wrong, they can make or break the experience. The staff is a priority, but I can find a friendly staff many places on land.
  • Not even for the cool features of the ship - again, a good ship can make a cruise special, but it's not the ship that brings the joy to cruising for me...

It's what the ship is on. Mother Ocean.

I found a love in sitting and watching the wake of the ship, the whitecaps of the waves, smelling the sea air, catching the breeze (not the gale up front when the ship is moving into the wind).

Now, after having sailed on the various classes of NCL ships Jewel and older, I look at the new ships. Lots of cool new features. Lots of cool new shows... but, I wonder if NCL is missing the boat, so to speak, on what the underlying reason to cruise is... Mother Ocean.

i-MCTr8sb-M.jpg

We watched the Epic dock next to us last week on the Sun, and the first thing I noticed about the ship was the promenade deck (or whatever they call it) where everyone strolls the deck getting their exercise and watching the ocean slip by, or grabs a deck chair in the shade, away from the hustle and bustle of the overly sunny pool deck... to watch the ocean.

And what is right there - blocking the wonderful view of the ocean on that deck? Yep... Lifeboats.

i-hsWp856-M.jpg

"Shall we head out for a stroll around deck tonight?"

"Yes dear, I love how Lifeboat 16 glistens in the evening sun... such a lovely view of it's red and white hull."

I understand the need for maximizing space on the ships, and reclaiming the square footage of the space occupied by the life boats is a ship designer's dream.

Unfortunately, that means we're relegated up to the upper decks to see the ocean. Which is OK if the view is unobstructed. I didn't get on the ship to watch the ocean through a salt-stained piece of tinted glass.

The designer of the Jewel class understood this primordial call of nature to stare at the soup from which early life evolved and eventually belched forth land based critters. Mother Oceans calls to us. To some, the call is louder than others.

Well, get a cabin with a balcony!

Sounds like a good idea. However, sitting on our balcony last week, I felt a bit like a horse pulling a wagon. Blinders blocking my line of sight in the form of the balcony dividers. The see across the horizon, I was standing at the railing, not sitting and relaxing. We quickly determined that for relaxing, feet up book in hand, forgotten, mostly unread as we sat out there to watch the waves slip by - the diminutive size of the balcony restricted it's leisure enjoyment to a single occupant.

And, we've heard of the incredible shrinking balconies on the newer ships. We evidently had a larger balcony on the Sun compared to what I'm hearing about the newer ships.

The Great Outdoors cafe at the back of Jewel class ships... definitely worth the space devoted to it. During the busy times for meals, it's a nice cafe with a lovely view. In the slower time, when occupancy isn't at a premium, you find you preference - sun or shade - prop your feet on the chair opposite you, and stare off at the waves.

0227-M.jpg

I hear that the bigger ships now have area's like Spice H2O... I wonder - will I be bothered by that big screen blocking my view of the ocean? Is there enough shade in the area to accommodate those of us trying to stay out of the sun, but stay outside?

Or, are the cruise ship designers for NCL shifting away from those of us who cruise to see the ocean, and shifting more and more to the ship being the destination - turning all attention inward - away from Mother Ocean.

Wife and I had some semi-serious chats as we waiting in the airports on our way home. We decided that the balcony wasn't worth the extra investment, due to how we spent our time sitting on the promenade deck - or in the Great Outdoors most of the time on Sea Days. We also decided that those two areas, or their equivalents were important to our cruising experience.

We spent some time looking at the Carnival and RCL ships we docked next too. Unfortunately, I have say that both of those lines had more deck chairs on their promenade decks than we've ever seen on a Jewel or older class. BUT, the Jewel class does have the GO to add variety, and additional ocean watching, vegetating cruisers like me.

All this means we'll probably stay with NCL for future cruises. We might try a Getaway cruise at some point - to see if the Spice H20 space is anything like the GO. If so, then other features - turning us INWARD toward the inside of the ship, instead of looking outward toward the ocean - will be welcome features.

If we decide that only the Jewel class meets our needs, then that's all we'll sail on. Since the newer, bigger, focused inward ships are getting the better, more interesting itineraries, we'll keep going back to the Western Caribbean... Cozumel... one MORE TIME! ;)

0088-M.jpg

Your thoughts? Anyone else as attached to Mother Ocean as I am? Do the new, larger ships NCL is building help or hinder our desire to see the ocean unobstructed?

Or, do we resign ourselves, like children in the back seat of a station wagon (or a minivan for you younger folks) seeing the sights of our vacation through the smudged and water stained windows of the vehicle?

Epic and the lack of ocean views (both scenery and OV cabins) is one of a kind and a mistake they quickly fixed on Breakaway class ships. As long as you don't sail on her, you'll be ok.

On other new megaships the lifeboats will still be there to block views straight down but the "promenade" (meaning Waterfront area on deck 8) is IMO as good place to look at the ocean as on older ships.

The ability to watch the ocean is my main reason for cruising, as well. As the OP stated, you can get top-notch food and entertainment on land.

Sitting on my balcony with DH and just staring out to sea, can't be beat. The promenade deck on NCL Dawn affords sea views.

I grew up on the coast of Massachusetts, so the ocean is part of me. If I don't see it often, it depresses me. Cruising fills that need.

On our first couple of cruises, we booked inside cabins. If my wife was ever looking for me, she knew I would be most likely at the stern watching the ocean.

I had a cruise booked on the Epic, but quickly cancelled it when I learned there was no promenade deck, in the sense of one like the Dawn or the Spirit.

I am now booked in an aft balcony on the Getaway for two weeks. I am really looking forward to having that direct connection with the ocean, but my gut feeling is that I would rather be on the smaller ships in order to experience that direct interaction with the ocean.

We will see!

I agree 110%.

We did the Epic her second year in service and while the entertainment was awesome there was such a disconnect from the ocean that if the boat was not rocking you had no idea you were on one. We will not ever go on the epic again because of that. But love all the other ships

I agree with the gist of your post. I, too, love to connect with the ocean on a cruise. Because I just sailed on Epic last month and I spent the whole week at Spice H2O, I will address your Spice question.

Spice H2O on Epic is fantastic! There are excellent views of the ocean from every square inch. The terraces with the loungers allow everyone to see the ocean from their seat. There are a bar and a grill at the top with tables and chairs. (Unfortunately the seating area at the bar is a smoking area.) The hot tubs are in the corners and afford unobstructed views of the ocean. The pool was shaded most of the day because of the video screen. In my opinion, Spice H2O was one of the best parts of the ship.

I'm really looking forward to Spice H2O on Escape, which will feature a shaded grotto with warm waterfalls instead of a pool. But the terraces are back, and the views should be even better than on Epic.

I cruise for the sailing part. I love the ocean. I do love the Epic, but sorely miss the promenade deck (deck 7--lifeboats--is separated into two sides that don't connect, at least not that I've discovered). I did find a walking area of sorts on deck 16, the area above the pool deck. We definitely go for balconies (spa, if available) on that ship (the inside cabins are quite small). I'm looking forward to our first transatlantic in April then a repositioning with Panama Canal transit at the end of September. The more time on the water, the more I love it. I've got "goosebumps" just thinking about it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Rhea98

On the Star, we like to look at the ocean from the back of the ship on deck 7 (promenade) watching the turbulence from the propellers where you are sheltered out of the wind. We often enjoy watching the dolphins play in the wake behind the ship.

If we book another balcony stateroom, it would need to be an aft cabin where the view is panoramic verse the little sectional from a standard cabin.

It is also very irritating to me that NCL is getting rid of ship top lounges like the Spinnaker (ex. DAWN). During stormy weather it was such a nice place to watch the ocean.

One reason I did not care for Carnival Cruise Line was their lack of ship top lounges.

Princess did it right with the air foil looking Skywalkers lounge (Star Princess and Carribean Princess). 170 Feet up with an unobstructed view of the wake. I spent many an hour there. Plus a full promenade deck from stem (bow) to stern.

I am looking foreward to my Breakaway cruise come November. That Waterfront is what excites me.

UmmHmm! That's why I want to sail again. The boat is the means. Being out in blue water is the Siren Song.

Quite a number of privately owned, smaller vessels (well, the Hatteras wasn't that small)... not a "cruise ship", yet. It will be nice to be a passenger rather than crew.

Just being.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Breakaway Class are some of the most outward looking megaships in not only NCL's fleet, but also the industry. The Waterfront is more than a suitable replacement for a promenade. Outdoor lounges, bars, restaurants. Very different from Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I pretty much agree with the OP except for the balcony. I love having an early morning cup of coffee while I’m sitting on my balcony watching the ocean slip by and seeing the sun make its first appearance of the day. It’s also a great place to have a nightcap before retiring to bed.

The ocean is why we cruise. When we take land vacations, it's a beach house.

Just booked our 2nd trip on Breakaway last night. Went to Bermuda last summer. Gonna hope for Great Stirrup Cay this trip.

The life boats don't stick out as far as you think. We were on deck 10 last July and had magnificent views of the seas.

As for the giant tv screen in Spice H2O, yeah, it kinda sucked, blocking the aft view, but we just sat to the side of it and still enjoyed the view. I won't include a pic of my feet against the railing so not to upset some other posters.

Breakaway is my favorite ship. And the ocean is my favorite escape.

ImageUploadedByForums1421373074.549552.jpg.defc376286970e10ac78a467606bc8e3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1421373141.669525.jpg.ef215e3959cdfb2bdcc56437d4af0824.jpg

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Two words:aft balcony. Best place on a ship to watch the ocean. We had an H6 cabin on Breakaway and spent hours on the balcony watching the ship's wake. Now if only we could afford to get to Miami to catch Escape or Getaway along with that cabin! Breakaway's itineraries are brutally boring at the times of year we can travel, and while we would be there for the ship and ocean, I do need to get off the ship and love seeing interesting new places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since the food and cabins are quite similar on all NCL ships, the 'outdoor' experience and the port itineraries are most important to us.

We just got off of our first cruise this week (NCL Sun). We are outdoor people and, because we were getting away from cold, snowy Michigan, we wanted to soak up every single moment of warmth, sunshine and tropical breeze that we possibly could! That means we spent A LOT of time on our balcony. That meant that we also ate outdoors whenever possible. We weren't going to miss a single second of being outdoors. I did not care for viewing the ocean and the ports through the salt-stained windows. I want to see it unobstructed, I want to feel the breeze, smell the salt air. Hearing how horrible the Epic is laid out, I now know we made the right choice by not sailing on her! The Epic shared a similar itinerary and we docked side-by-side with her in Cozumel.

We would really like to sail the Eastern Caribbean for our next cruise. Hoping to avoid a mega-ship but that is definitely going to become more difficult with the release of new ships.