Charging Devices in Cabin

billsr

If you area CPAP user, you can request an extension cord and distilled water free of charge from the website.

-F-

Yes, I do that all the time. Once the room steward couldn't find an extention cord, so it was a good thing I had my own with me.

I always feel badly that I don't need the whole half gallon of water on the cruise and half of it goes to waste.

I completely agree with Poncho on this one. The Anker is small, compact, and a powerhouse. Just bring your cables and leave the half dozen phone, camera, tablet chargers at home. Great investment.

I read an article on the Anker charger and counted our chargers when I got home. INSANE. I gathered up the chargers, put them in a small storage box in case I need them in the future.

I rounded up:

6 high-speed Micro B cords

3 high-speed Mini B cords

2 high-speed Lightning cords (SERIOUSLY APPLE, GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER & COMPLY! thankfully only our work phones are Apple products)

I just keep those with the Anker unit and we're set for basically anything we need to charge.

I used to use the 2.1A version that Bob posted.

I have since graduated to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Family-Sized-Desktop-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00P936188/

The 60W/12A multiport charger.

Seriously, this is one of the best charging investments that I've ever made. You can charge SIX full-power devices at the same time. Cell phones, tablets, digital cameras, GoPros, whatever.

The best part is that you can turn around and use it at your house later.

My old Belkin sat in the travel box until we traveled. This Anker unit sits with our 2 personal phones, our 2 work phones, and our 2 tablets plugged in each evening at the house. When we go on vacation, we just grab it. It's a multi-tasker instead of a uni-tasker.

As a sidebar:

I bought a charger for our spare GoPro batteries that has both a wall plug and a USB in for its power. I bought the same type charger for our DSLR and our pocket digital camera.

This has made the travel power strip obsolete in our family. All of our stuff can charge via USB now. This is super handy in airports and waiting areas where you may have some time to kill. Places are putting USB charging ports in everywhere.

Was going to get the Belkin but going to buy this now. :)

Belkin would have mainly been used for travel and this one can be used around the house all the time.

Thanks for hooking us up! :)

All of our stuff can charge via USB now. This is super handy in airports and waiting areas where you may have some time to kill. Places are putting USB charging ports in everywhere.

A bit of info you might find interesting:

Don't want to scare anyone but when travelling for work overseas, we are advised not to plug our work devices into charging stations at airports etc or place them in docks in hotels. I've seen a demonstration where an iphone was plugged into what looked like an ordinary alarm clock dock and all of the information on the phone was copied off it. (edit: it is called juice jacking)

Ever since, I have always used just an adapter plugged into a power point

Edited by jenibor

Don't want to scare anyone but when travelling for work overseas, we are advised not to plug our work devices into charging stations at airports etc or place them in docks in hotels. I've seen a demonstration where an iphone was plugged into what looked like an ordinary alarm clock dock and all of the information on the phone was copied off it. (edit: it is called juice jacking)

Good idea.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about this before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about this before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are very welcome. The risks are probably very very low on cruise ships or airports in your home country but who knows what the risks are elsewhere.

Edited by jenibor

I have both the Belkin with the 3 U-Ground & 2 USB 2.1A adapter that bob mentioned, and I also have the Anker IQ USB charger. If I were traveling with a family and had multiple tablets, phones and what not, I'd bring the Anker, but just my wife & I, The one Bob showed will do just fine. I'm also assuming that on a 4 night cruise, I probably won't need to charge our tablets at all, cause I don't plan on spending my whole time on it. Except to make sure it is fully charged for the trip back.

Agreed. I also have both, and I see them as being best for different purposes. The other key difference not mentioned by Poncho is that if you take the Anker with you on the cruise, it consumes the ONLY available US power receptacle in your room. The Belkin, on the other hand, gives the necessary charging for both of our phones - we don't even take tablets, smartphones are plenty of "in touch" for vacation! - while not only NOT consuming the only power receptacle, but actually providing additional outlets.

Agreed. I also have both, and I see them as being best for different purposes. The other key difference not mentioned by Poncho is that if you take the Anker with you on the cruise, it consumes the ONLY available US power receptacle in your room. The Belkin, on the other hand, gives the necessary charging for both of our phones - we don't even take tablets, smartphones are plenty of "in touch" for vacation! - while not only NOT consuming the only power receptacle, but actually providing additional outlets.

This is useful for us because we need the other receptacle for laptop charging, etc.

We use this:

belkin-power-usb.jpg

So do we (or, something very similar). We take our plug adapters with us and use whatever is needed for a non-US outlet. We will plug this one into the adapter, then into that outlet, using the US outlet with another single charger wall plug.

We also have a 2-USB port wall adapter that we can charge both our ipads at once. It either plugs into the multi-plug or by itself into the US outlet.

This way we can get two ipads, one cell phone, and hubby's cpap plugged in overnight.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Family-Sized-Desktop-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00P936188/

Seriously, this is one of the best charging investments that I've ever made. You can charge SIX full-power devices at the same time. Cell phones, tablets, digital cameras, GoPros, whatever.

My old Belkin sat in the travel box until we traveled. This Anker unit sits with our 2 personal phones, our 2 work phones, and our 2 tablets plugged in each evening at the house. When we go on vacation, we just grab it. It's a multi-tasker instead of a uni-tasker.

As a sidebar:

I bought a charger for our spare GoPro batteries that has both a wall plug and a USB in for its power. I bought the same type charger for our DSLR and our pocket digital camera.

This has made the travel power strip obsolete in our family. All of our stuff can charge via USB now. This is super handy in airports and waiting areas where you may have some time to kill. Places are putting USB charging ports in everywhere.

Holy crap that is powerful, I just bought the next model down with 5 ports with 1 amp each or 2.4 amps max for a port for about 10 bucks less.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTGETFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by SnorkelBoy
spelling

. . .

Virtually any electronic device with an ac electrical plug that needs its battery recharged can be connected to the 234v European plug. They sense the incoming voltage and automatically adjust. I recharge electronics all the time in the 234v outlet using only a plug adapter (no voltage transformer [converter] required). Do NOT plug resistive devices without current limiting into the 234v, as they will overheat and may cause a fire.. . .

Great point. We try to make use of the Euro outlets as well. I only post to point out that every device that can be plugged into a wall socket should have a data plate that give the proper input and output voltage. If it says something like "Input AC 110V-240V" you can safely plug it into either outlet using an adapter [but not transformer or voltage converter] as needed. This should be checked for any devices plugged directly into the wall socket. Going through my drawer of old charging cords, I noticed several of my old phone charging cords [not THAT old] do not allow for alternate voltage.

As a sidebar:

Thank you for this! It looks like the biz. I just ordered one.

Thank you for this! It looks like the biz. I just ordered one.

Mine came in the other day from Amazon. I was impressed by it immediately and we are currently using it for a charging station for various devices.

Anker 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Nokia, Motorola and More (White)

Anyone have suggestions on a cheaper portable clock/alarm clock for the cruise? (battery, electric, or both)

Mine came in the other day from Amazon. I was impressed by it immediately and we are currently using it for a charging station for various devices.

Anker 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Nokia, Motorola and More (White)

Anyone have suggestions on a cheaper portable clock/alarm clock for the cruise? (battery, electric, or both)

I assume you have either an iPhone or an Android phone. Best portable alarm clock, IMHO, is a good app for your phone. On my Galaxy S4 I have "Dock Clock" installed. Whenever I plug the phone into power between the hours of 10PM and 6AM (settable option) the entire screen turns into a digital clock. Why carry something extra when your phone makes a great clock/alarm clock?

I assume you have either an iPhone or an Android phone. Best portable alarm clock, IMHO, is a good app for your phone. On my Galaxy S4 I have "Dock Clock" installed. Whenever I plug the phone into power between the hours of 10PM and 6AM (settable option) the entire screen turns into a digital clock. Why carry something extra when your phone makes a great clock/alarm clock?

Does your phone know if/when the captain or staff onboard decide to or not to change times zones. Might cause you to be late back to ship or miss an excurion, etc. if your phone is not on the correct time zone.

Does your phone know if/when the captain or staff onboard decide to or not to change times zones. Might cause you to be late back to ship or miss an excurion, etc. if your phone is not on the correct time zone.

We always set out phones to NOT update time automatically when we're on a cruise. That way we don't get any surprise changes of time if we happen to turn on the phone to check for messages, etc.

We always set out phones to NOT update time automatically when we're on a cruise. That way we don't get any surprise changes of time if we happen to turn on the phone to check for messages, etc.

Yep, we do the same. We want to control the time zone, precisely because ship's time may differ from local time.

Yep, we do the same. We want to control the time zone, precisely because ship's time may differ from local time.

ahh OK. I forgot you could do this (or I simply didn't know this could be done). Thanks for clearing that up!

Doh! Last time I cruised I had a candybar phone that went off and into the safe on arrival. Therefore, I guess I didn't give any thought to a phone being out of the safe.

Even more funny is we use an old iPhone 3 for an alarm clock at home on a daily basis. LOL