Charging Devices in Cabin

billsr

Even more funny is we use an old iPhone 3 for an alarm clock at home on a daily basis. LOL

For years I put an ancient Nokia in the spare bedroom for a guest alarm clock. The crazy old speaker docking station I bought back in the day made it look funky and cool to me.

Our guests woke to a polyphonic ringtone of the Doctor Who theme.

Edited by poncho1973

A bit of info you might find interesting:

Don't want to scare anyone but when travelling for work overseas, we are advised not to plug our work devices into charging stations at airports etc or place them in docks in hotels. I've seen a demonstration where an iphone was plugged into what looked like an ordinary alarm clock dock and all of the information on the phone was copied off it. (edit: it is called juice jacking)

Ever since, I have always used just an adapter plugged into a power point

That is too funny!!!! Yes, the maids at hotels are replacing ordinary alarm clocks with "cell phone copying devices" to copy...... what excactly....? Same for airport janitors, they've re-wired the airport electrical outlets and installed secret copy devices within the walls. Thanks for the laugh of the day! :) Yes I know there is stuff online about this, but seriously what are the odds?

Edited by bouhunter

We use this:

belkin-power-usb.jpg

I purchased one of these after I saw Bob's first recommendation for it. We love it. It is small, easy to pack, and we take it everywhere we travel now. The male plug portion of it rotates so it can be plugged in just about anywhere as well.

Just make sure you get the higher powered one. They sell two that look identical, but one has lower powered USB ports that won't ideally charge some of the newer phones and tablets.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

For years I put an ancient Nokia in the spare bedroom for a guest alarm clock. The crazy old speaker docking station I bought back in the day made it look funky and cool to me.

Our guests woke to a polyphonic ringtone of the Doctor Who theme.

Too funny. I have the Doctor Who theme as my ringtone on my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I purchased one of these after I saw Bob's first recommendation for it. We love it. It is small, easy to pack, and we take it everywhere we travel now. The male plug portion of it rotates so it can be plugged in just about anywhere as well.

Just make sure you get the higher powered one. They sell two that look identical, but one has lower powered USB ports that won't ideally charge some of the newer phones and tablets.

Dan.

Yes I love this device also! I bought the stronger one and have no problem charging my iPhone or iPad with it.

I bought the lower amp Belkin last year and returned it to get the higher amp. If you read the reviews you will see the amp's from the USB ports are split 50/50 for output if two devices are plugged in.

Recently, I bought a couple of these MYBAT "noodle" charging cable. These coupled with the Belkin and I can charge just about anything.

NOODLE.jpg.8c9dc266d961a008cbf1b92b0c07703b.jpg

I bought the lower amp Belkin last year and returned it to get the higher amp. If you read the reviews you will see the amp's from the USB ports are split 50/50 for output if two devices are plugged in.

Recently, I bought a couple of these MYBAT "noodle" charging cable. These coupled with the Belkin and I can charge just about anything.

Can I get the Mybat thing at someplace like Best Buy or Radio Shack?

I bought mine on Amazon for about $8. I couldn't find them at either RS or BB. I found them on line from $8 to $20. Not sure way the difference in price. I was a little concerned as some of the after market non-Apple cables haven't worked all that well for me in the past. However, the noodle seems to work just fine. I do get the error Apple error message periodically. The cable does transfer data along with charging. The mini-USB (might be the micro-USB) will work on two different model Nooks but didn't work on a third, which was the 1st gen color Nook we had.

Only complaint is the cords are fairly short so sometimes I have to prop the device up on some books so as not to stress the connector.

My Belkin came in the day but I just got around to opening it.

WOW! Much bigger than I expected it to be. I never looked at the measurements before ordering and I guess I just had it my mind that it would be smaller. It is not that it is huge but just bigger than expected. :)

Didn't get the 2.1 amp version as I alread bought the Anker.

• 4 weeks later...
Does your phone know if/when the captain or staff onboard decide to or not to change times zones. Might cause you to be late back to ship or miss an excurion, etc. if your phone is not on the correct time zone.

Nope.

And, as said, turn off AUTO UPDATE. It might find a time clock signal somewhere that is NOT on ships "people time". Don't let the phone try to be smart in these situations.