Belize city

wato1963

Whats belize city like, is it safe, is it clean, is there much to do without going on an excursion

Cheers fellow cruisers

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Forums mobile app

Is it safe.......not in my opinion

Is it clean......from what I saw outside the 12ft fence.....No!!!

Is there much to do without an excursion......no way would I venture outside that fence without an excursion. In fact we were given a letter while on board warning us not to venture out on our own.

After visiting Belize it is one of the ports I no longer get off the ship.

Just outside the feneced in (there's a clue) port area in Belize reminded me a lot of the area just outside the feneced in port area in Trinidad. In our opinion not a place to do your own thing. If we ever go back to those two ports we will be on a ships tour.

We have been outside the fence on our own twice, walked around with no problems. In fact the second time the vendors did not bother us at all and there were fewer of them. We have also toured all of the town, its like most others in the islands, some nice and clean/some areas not.

Most of the cruise lines offer walking tours so if it wasn't safe it would not be offered

We did notice the local bank had 2 armed to the teeth guards standing out front :D sop from what the taxi driver said

Take a tour and go to the ruins or one of the cays

Lunch at the wet lizard in the compound is very good, cold beer

Edited by setsail

We took the open air train tour of Belize City.....we referred to it after as the "Filth and Poverty Tour". That being said, we had previously gone to Ambergris Key for vacation and must say that it was the most relaxing, low key, safe, lovely place we had been and would go back there in a second!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took the open air train tour of Belize City.....we referred to it after as the "Filth and Poverty Tour". That being said, we had previously gone to Ambergris Key for vacation and must say that it was the most relaxing, low key, safe, lovely place we had been and would go back there in a second!

OMG, I was thinking the same thing after that tour!! I couldn't believe how rundown that city was and couldn't wait to get back on the ship. I come to find out that the pretty part is away from the city. Since I don't dive or snorkel I probably won't get off the ship there if I do that port again.

Just outside the feneced in (there's a clue) port area in Belize reminded me a lot of the area just outside the feneced in port area in Trinidad. In our opinion not a place to do your own thing. If we ever go back to those two ports we will be on a ships tour.
Gee, a fenced in port area, just like in the good old USA. What ports have you been in that were NOT fenced in?:confused:

Thom

I think the poster means the shopping area that you enter before actually leave the port....and its fences.

Edited by ldl05

I was there a couple of summers ago with my family. I hired a tour guide from the information I got here on CC they took us about an hour away to Iolite and cave tubing. At first my wife and daughters were scared because we went through a check point with arm guards. But we had a great day. The city was run down and I do not think I would venture out on my own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

Went to Ambergris Caye for a week in 2012. Awesome place. Belize has great snorkeling and Mayan ruins. I'd suggest either one of those. The ride in the cab through Belize City from the airport to the water taxi was about as much exposure to the city I think I'll ever need.

Some of my all time favorite tours have been in Belize. The Zoo and River tour, and the Horse Drawn Carriage ride were both informative, professional, and safe. While I wouldn't be comfortable on my own (not unlike Falmouth) I've had two great visits there. I would encourage the OP to at least take a tour and see another part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belize is not a place to get off the ship and just walk around. However, there are some great things to see in Belize, so I would recommend booking a reputable private tour or an excursion through the ship. I've visited twice. The first time I visited Altun Ha. The ruins are not as grand as Chichen Itza in Mexico, but very worth seeing. The second visit we booked a private tour that took us on a hike in the rain forest followed by cave tubing. It was great.