Opening Balcony Dividers?

Eriksgarden

I have heard they usually don't open it.

However, on the Breakaway I was able to get it open with a corkscrew and 3 wooden coffee stirrers. It took like 15 minutes but was well worth it. I just closed but didn't lock them when I left the room. I told the room stewart at the end and he said he would lock it for the next group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got off the Sun this week and ours didn't have the ability to even be opened. However, in Cozumel, we were docked along side the Epic and we saw several that were open. They only appeared to open about 1/3 of the way, so maybe that is 'allowable'?

Can't imagine why there would be a safety issue, especially if the steward is the one who opens/closes them, upon request.

On some ships, the balcony dividers are designed to be opened...on others, they are not!

On ships where they are designed for opening, they latch into the open position, so they don't slam around and risk injuring someone or breaking the divider itself! If the dividers are bolted into place, they usually will NOT allow them to open, since they really aren't designed to!

I have heard they usually don't open it.

However, on the Breakaway I was able to get it open with a corkscrew and 3 wooden coffee stirrers. It took like 15 minutes but was well worth it. I just closed but didn't lock them when I left the room. I told the room stewart at the end and he said he would lock it for the next group.

Wait? You did what? Really??

Harriet

We have done this before with friends and the stewards always close it whenever they see we have opened them. Supposedly they are considered fire doors so they want them to stay closed. We have also used the corkscrew to get the dividers opened. They didn't seem to mind as much on Breakway when we were in port. I would not open them at sea again because when we were at sea we forgot they were open and they started slamming around in the middle of the night. I think we made a lot of people angry. :(