Bangkok (Laem Chaban) tours

subaru94

We will be arriving Bangkok (Laem Chaban) Sapphire Princess 7am to 7pm, which I believe is 100kms from Bangkok itself and have been told by friends Patttaya Beach is not very good. Not sure how far away River Kwai is or the floating markets, over temples any other suggestions, tours greatly appreciated.

Edited by subaru94
added to thread

We were there a few months ago. First day went into Bangkok. Long day but totally worth it. Highlights were the Palace (camera overload) and the Canal ride, but enjoyed the rest. Perhaps too many Buddhas, but hey, we weren't to know. Hint pick 1 or 2, not 4 like us. Second day we did a tour with same company to Pattaya and surrounds. This entailed morning stop at the Nong Nooch Gardens with lunch, a quick drive through Pattaya without stopping, on to the Sanctuary of Truth, and then the floating markets. We are not 'garden' people, but the Nong Nooch Gardens were out of this world. The lunch was superb also. Could have stayed all day here. A place I could visit again easily. Pattaya was soso!! Sanctuary of Truth was awe inspiring, great views, requiring at least an hrs time there. The floating markets, to us, were slightly disappointing. Nice to see, but not quite what we expected ie too commercial. Glad we did see Pattaya, even though it was a drive by. I can imagine how it lives up to it's reputation at night time!!

Laem Chabang port is out of the way, a working port. At the terminal there is a large shop full of nicknacks. We bought lots here, at very reasonable prices. This shop will be open until the gangplank is pulled up.

We were at that port in December for 2 days and went to Bangkok. It was great seeing the city and the 2nd day we went to see the ruins at Ayuthaya. We stayed overnight in Bangkok. The traffic is horrific so with one day I would not take a chance on going to Bangkok. I can recommend Thai Tour Guide if you want to explore options for your one day visit. Enjoy!

We were at that port in December for 2 days and went to Bangkok. It was great seeing the city and the 2nd day we went to see the ruins at Ayuthaya. We stayed overnight in Bangkok. The traffic is horrific so with one day I would not take a chance on going to Bangkok. I can recommend Thai Tour Guide if you want to explore options for your one day visit. Enjoy!

Yes would love recommendation of tour guide please:D

We were there a few months ago. First day went into Bangkok. Long day but totally worth it. Highlights were the Palace (camera overload) and the Canal ride, but enjoyed the rest. Perhaps too many Buddhas, but hey, we weren't to know. Hint pick 1 or 2, not 4 like us. Second day we did a tour with same company to Pattaya and surrounds. This entailed morning stop at the Nong Nooch Gardens with lunch, a quick drive through Pattaya without stopping, on to the Sanctuary of Truth, and then the floating markets. We are not 'garden' people, but the Nong Nooch Gardens were out of this world. The lunch was superb also. Could have stayed all day here. A place I could visit again easily. Pattaya was soso!! Sanctuary of Truth was awe inspiring, great views, requiring at least an hrs time there. The floating markets, to us, were slightly disappointing. Nice to see, but not quite what we expected ie too commercial. Glad we did see Pattaya, even though it was a drive by. I can imagine how it lives up to it's reputation at night time!!

Laem Chabang port is out of the way, a working port. At the terminal there is a large shop full of nicknacks. We bought lots here, at very reasonable prices. This shop will be open until the gangplank is pulled up.

As we can only do 1 day did you have a preference on which day you preferred and who did you go through please?

As we can only do 1 day did you have a preference on which day you preferred and who did you go through please?

We used Bangkok Asia Travel. http://www.bangkokasiatravel.com/?lang=en

All correspondence was answered quickly. Mike is the operator. We did extensive research into this at the time, and we were not disappointed. He is easily able to alter his suggested cruise ship tours. eg we did not wish to see the Tiger Zoo, and he was very obliging to come up with a plan that suited us for the day. The floating markets are on the road between the port and Pattaya, which is why I assume most companies will add this to the itinerary, incl the cruise ship tours.

Hard to choose between the Bangkok day, which we did with Tours with Tong, or the Pattaya surrounds day with Bangkok Asia Travel....so very different, scenic wise Bangkok highlight was the Palace and the river cruise, which took a half day.....the rest was spent negotiating traffic and Buddhas. We were back late that day, after 8pm. Took longer to return than get into Bangkok. Other tours came back in later. My choice re just your one day would be to stay closer to the ship, and go for a tour in Pattaya area. I would NOT chance the heavy traffic coming back from Bangkok...not a chance in the world! Heavy traffic, lots of semis going to the port. Bit risky to be back onboard by 6pm.

Back to Mike, and Bangkok Asia Travel....clean, well mannered, extremely obliging to fullfil your needs on the day, informative and fully aware re the need to have you back well on time. Totally recommend him. He had the knack of missing other tour times too. eg. at the buffet at Nong Nooch Gardens, he made sure we were the first people to enter and eat. We had this huge eating area to ourselves, first dip at the yummy food. Impressed that this was so well planned.

Any other questions, happy to answer.

We used Bangkok Asia Travel. http://www.bangkokasiatravel.com/?lang=en

All correspondence was answered quickly. Mike is the operator. We did extensive research into this at the time, and we were not disappointed. He is easily able to alter his suggested cruise ship tours. eg we did not wish to see the Tiger Zoo, and he was very obliging to come up with a plan that suited us for the day. The floating markets are on the road between the port and Pattaya, which is why I assume most companies will add this to the itinerary, incl the cruise ship tours.

Hard to choose between the Bangkok day, which we did with Tours with Tong, or the Pattaya surrounds day with Bangkok Asia Travel....so very different, scenic wise Bangkok highlight was the Palace and the river cruise, which took a half day.....the rest was spent negotiating traffic and Buddhas. We were back late that day, after 8pm. Took longer to return than get into Bangkok. Other tours came back in later. My choice re just your one day would be to stay closer to the ship, and go for a tour in Pattaya area. I would NOT chance the heavy traffic coming back from Bangkok...not a chance in the world! Heavy traffic, lots of semis going to the port. Bit risky to be back onboard by 6pm.

Back to Mike, and Bangkok Asia Travel....clean, well mannered, extremely obliging to fullfil your needs on the day, informative and fully aware re the need to have you back well on time. Totally recommend him. He had the knack of missing other tour times too. eg. at the buffet at Nong Nooch Gardens, he made sure we were the first people to enter and eat. We had this huge eating area to ourselves, first dip at the yummy food. Impressed that this was so well planned.

Any other questions, happy to answer.

Many thanks for your reply we are definitely interested in doing the floating market, and I think there is a timber temple near Pattang, what did Bangkok asia charge you for the day please?

Many thanks for your reply we are definitely interested in doing the floating market, and I think there is a timber temple near Pattang, what did Bangkok asia charge you for the day please?

The timber temple near Pattaya is called The Sanctuary of Truth. Well worth seeing as mentioned before. You have to drive through Pattaya to get to this unique structure. There are a few floating markets. The one we went to was on the road back from Pattaya to ship, and also the one used by the cruiselines. I believe there is a larger one further afield. We did not purchase there, finding it far too commercial and not very cheap. Perhaps we are fussy! Suggest you rethink re the Nong Nooch Gardens. We actually did not want to go, but others in group did. Very pleasantly surprised, and a place I could revisit. Thought it was going to be 'tacky' but not so. You are placed onto an open air bus and driven around these amazing sculpted plants. Different themes everywhere. Lots of great pics. The show was what we expected, lasting a half hr, but it was not 'cruel'....more circus like, with some traditional dancing (nice) and some kick boxing (interesting).

Unfortunately I no longer have our Asian quotes....had a huge cruise paper clean up recently. I do remember that his prices were very reasonable, and cheaper than many others. There were 6 of us, and by memory the day cost $50/$60pp, but I can't be sure. Easy to email for a quote. Write your preferences, and am sure Mike will come up with a plan for the day.

The timber temple near Pattaya is called The Sanctuary of Truth. Well worth seeing as mentioned before. You have to drive through Pattaya to get to this unique structure. There are a few floating markets. The one we went to was on the road back from Pattaya to ship, and also the one used by the cruiselines. I believe there is a larger one further afield. We did not purchase there, finding it far too commercial and not very cheap. Perhaps we are fussy! Suggest you rethink re the Nong Nooch Gardens. We actually did not want to go, but others in group did. Very pleasantly surprised, and a place I could revisit. Thought it was going to be 'tacky' but not so. You are placed onto an open air bus and driven around these amazing sculpted plants. Different themes everywhere. Lots of great pics. The show was what we expected, lasting a half hr, but it was not 'cruel'....more circus like, with some traditional dancing (nice) and some kick boxing (interesting).

Unfortunately I no longer have our Asian quotes....had a huge cruise paper clean up recently. I do remember that his prices were very reasonable, and cheaper than many others. There were 6 of us, and by memory the day cost $50/$60pp, but I can't be sure. Easy to email for a quote. Write your preferences, and am sure Mike will come up with a plan for the day.

Many thanks for replying I will contact Mike to see what he comes up with sounds good.

Many thanks for replying I will contact Mike to see what he comes up with sounds good.

I tracked down our deposit and got details of cost. (Good old Paypal which this company uses). We paid deposit very early when our dollar was on parity with US. Deposit was US$52. We paid the balance on completion of tour again in US$ purchased when on parity (lucky). Total cost for the tour for all 6 people was US$522. Tad more than I had thought, but still a good price.

With our dollar being so low atm, perhaps see if Thai Bahts are a cheaper way to pay. ie get him to quote in Thai Bahts, then check on a currency conversion site.......unless you have some US$ stacked away:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I would appreciate the recommendation of a Bangkok tour guide.

Thanks.

Steve Delman

SBDLAW@aol.com