Worst boarding experience ever with RCI

Boarding by C&A status and not allowing family members with you who are a lower C& A status to board with you is a poorly thought out policy.

In the past they did not seem to care that my brother boarded with us. We are diamond and he was gold.

RCI seems to be losing track of what people want. Boarding with your family is important to people. Rigid policies like these obviously upset and annoy people. Turning someone away from the diamond lounge or suite and pinnacle lounge who is not at that C&A level is one thing. But for boarding??!

Boarding by C&A status and not allowing family members with you who are a lower C& A status to board with you is a poorly thought out policy.

In the past they did not seem to care that my brother boarded with us. We are diamond and he was gold.

RCI seems to be losing track of what people want. Boarding with your family is important to people. Rigid policies like these obviously upset and annoy people. Turning someone away from the diamond lounge or suite and pinnacle lounge who is not at that C&A level is one thing. But for boarding??!

You will be able to board with your family members. If you have a priority boarding because of your crown and anchor status or suite accommodation , all you have to do is simply board when your other family is permitted. You are not forced to board prior to your family members who do not have priority boarding benefits.

M

It's a tough way to start the cruise, but you don't know what may have happened onboard the ship as it was disembarking. While we were disembarking in Long Beach, customs was very slow in getting people off the ship. Turns out there was a drug bust on the ship that morning. In Tampa, quite often in the winter there is a heavy fog that will delay the ship's arrival into port. Until they get off and things prepared for the new cruise, you will wait. Relax and allow the workers to do their job the best they can. When we just walk up onto the ship at 11:00 so many times, we get spoiled! Happy cruising!

I was watching the webcam this morning and the Explorer was still pulling into the dock at 7:30 and was not secure until around 8:00 am, so they were probably late pulling in. Ships are usually in very early by 4 or 5 am. Not sure if propulsion is still an issue. This may have been why there was a delay in your boarding as disembarkation was way behind schedule. We were originally booked on this cruise, but switched to the Serenade on January 31st.

I got off Explorer of the Seas this morning. They called our departure number (9) around 9:20. Our expected departure time frame was from 9:00 to 9:15, so not too bad. Then we stood in the ship stairwell for about 10 minutes, then we stood on Deck 4 for about 10 minutes. We got our luggage quickly, but then stood in line for customs for about 45 minutes.

We were suppose to take the Radisson shuttle back to their Park N Cruise lot but the line to get on the shuttle was about a 45 minute wait, so we just grabbed a taxi for $15 plus tip.

All in all, we were finally on the road shortly after 11:00.

Edited by tpredmore

I got off Explorer of the Seas this morning. They called our departure number (9) around 9:20. Our expected departure time frame was from 9:00 to 9:15, so not too bad. Then we stood in the ship stairwell for about 10 minutes, then we stood on Deck 4 for about 10 minutes. We got our luggage quickly, but then stood in line for customs for about 45 minutes.

We were suppose to take the Radisson shuttle back to their Park N Cruise lot but the line to get on the shuttle was about a 45 minute wait, so we just grabbed a taxi for $15 plus tip.

All in all, we were finally on the road shortly after 11:00.

Did they have enough Customs people?

You will be able to board with your family members. If you have a priority boarding because of your crown and anchor status or suite accommodation , all you have to do is simply board when your other family is permitted. You are not forced to board prior to your family members who do not have priority boarding benefits.

M

Indeed!

Some amount of the complaint here is that it was rude to not allow family to jump to the head of the line. But was it also not rude to just wait till they caught up (it was important enough to complain, so why wasn't it important enough to just stay together)?

Folks, for the most part ships start boarding about 11a. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later. If you get there before the ship starts boarding, you will have to wait in the terminal till it does (and they are pretty picky about lining up by status - suite, C&A, first-come). If you get there later, there is no order except the order arriving at the ship.

Also got off the ship yesterday. The reason why it is long to board is because RCI has a contract with the union porters. It took us almost an hour waiting on the Radisson shuttle with only 3 bays out of 10 open. Like an idiot I tipped the porters, never again, why reward bad behavior? Getting off was also very difficult and took at least an hour. Nice facility, not used efficiently. The Radisson shuttle line was so long and to top it off the people in front of us let 10 members of their group cut in line. I did manage to keep my mouth shut but I seethed. Fortunately, we were the last two allowed on the 3rd or 4th shuttle in and we jumped ahead of them because they had 14 people and we were 2. Why are people so impolite and think they are entitled. If they wanted to stay as a group, they should have got off the ship together. Thank you for letting me spout, lol.

We boarded the Explorer on 1/4/15, our very first time at Port Canaveral, and really had no problems to speak of at all. We always try to get to the Port between 10:30-11:00 no matter where we are sailing from, and we were a little later than usual for other reasons this time, but it was still early. We parked at the port which for us this time, was the easiest way. Got a parking spot right away and paid ahead. I didn't have the luggage tags printed this time as I had changed cabins, but no problem. Porter took care of that and took our luggage. The only snag we had was one elevator bank wasn't working so we just walked to the next one over on the same level and got right in. The Port was, after all, just opened and one would expect there might be some problems, but this was pretty minor as far as we were concerned. They were working on the elevator. We did have a Jr. Suite and we are Diamond, so not sure if that was the reason, but we were taken right away, sign and sail done in a snap and on the ship probably within 45 minutes of arriving at the parking garage. Want to say it was around noon. We went to the Windjammer, got lunch with no problems finding a table, not all that crowded and just as we were finishing eating the announcement came the cabins were ready. I think it was even before 1:00. We went up to our cabin and shortly thereafter our luggage arrived, so we unpacked right away before doing our usual 'tour of the ship'. So, I would say, we had a great embarkation! On debarking, we left later after taking our time and getting breakfast, and although the line looked very long going through Customs, it moved very fast. Once again, it was great to just walk to the car and be on our way ... well worth the price of paying to park there since we had a seven hour drive ahead! We were on our way home by roughly 10:30. So, I have not one problem with anything .... and it was also a great cruise! Food, service ... everything was wonderful! :)

Also got off the ship yesterday. The reason why it is long to board is because RCI has a contract with the union porters. It took us almost an hour waiting on the Radisson shuttle with only 3 bays out of 10 open. Like an idiot I tipped the porters, never again, why reward bad behavior? Getting off was also very difficult and took at least an hour. Nice facility, not used efficiently. The Radisson shuttle line was so long and to top it off the people in front of us let 10 members of their group cut in line. I did manage to keep my mouth shut but I seethed. Fortunately, we were the last two allowed on the 3rd or 4th shuttle in and we jumped ahead of them because they had 14 people and we were 2. Why are people so impolite and think they are entitled. If they wanted to stay as a group, they should have got off the ship together. Thank you for letting me spout, lol.

I paid for a cab instead of waiting in line for the Radisson shuttle.

Re: RCI union contract with the porters -- did it work that initially only 3 luggage bays were opened and after a certain time (11 AM?) the other 7 open up? What time did you get to the terminal?

We are driving to the terminal and will park there?

We boarded the Explorer on 1/4/15, our very first time at Port Canaveral, and really had no problems to speak of at all. We always try to get to the Port between 10:30-11:00 no matter where we are sailing from, and we were a little later than usual for other reasons this time, but it was still early. We parked at the port which for us this time, was the easiest way. Got a parking spot right away and paid ahead. I didn't have the luggage tags printed this time as I had changed cabins, but no problem. Porter took care of that and took our luggage. The only snag we had was one elevator bank wasn't working so we just walked to the next one over on the same level and got right in. The Port was, after all, just opened and one would expect there might be some problems, but this was pretty minor as far as we were concerned. They were working on the elevator. We did have a Jr. Suite and we are Diamond, so not sure if that was the reason, but we were taken right away, sign and sail done in a snap and on the ship probably within 45 minutes of arriving at the parking garage. Want to say it was around noon. We went to the Windjammer, got lunch with no problems finding a table, not all that crowded and just as we were finishing eating the announcement came the cabins were ready. I think it was even before 1:00. We went up to our cabin and shortly thereafter our luggage arrived, so we unpacked right away before doing our usual 'tour of the ship'. So, I would say, we had a great embarkation! On debarking, we left later after taking our time and getting breakfast, and although the line looked very long going through Customs, it moved very fast. Once again, it was great to just walk to the car and be on our way ... well worth the price of paying to park there since we had a seven hour drive ahead! We were on our way home by roughly 10:30. So, I have not one problem with anything .... and it was also a great cruise! Food, service ... everything was wonderful! :)
Were the elevators the only way to get upstairs in the terminal?

Were the elevators the only way to get upstairs in the terminal?

There were some people that became annoyed immediately and they walked up the stairs that were right there (there were 2 sets of elevators) one where the door just wouldn't close ... we pressed the button on the other one and saw the guy working and he said to just go to the right, which we did ... literally 20 steps and we were right up there. It really wasn't a problem at all.

Re: RCI union contract with the porters -- did it work that initially only 3 luggage bays were opened and after a certain time (11 AM?) the other 7 open up? What time did you get to the terminal?

We are driving to the terminal and will park there?

I don't know anything about the union, but as I said, parking there worked for us. It was $90 for the 5 night cruise and SO convenient. It appeared to us that most of the problems were with the shuttles, etc. Seemed like a lot of people being dropped at once maybe? We literally got out of the car, walked a little bit and handed the Porter our luggage and then got on the elevator. We usually try to get there between 10:30 and 11:00 but as I said, we were a little later this time, maybe 11:15? But, seriously, it went very quickly and we were on the ship by noon. On debarkation, again, seemed like an awful lot of people waiting for shuttles and some confusion. We walked right to the car and were on our way.

I don't know anything about the union, but as I said, parking there worked for us. It was $90 for the 5 night cruise and SO convenient. It appeared to us that most of the problems were with the shuttles, etc. Seemed like a lot of people being dropped at once maybe? We literally got out of the car, walked a little bit and handed the Porter our luggage and then got on the elevator. We usually try to get there between 10:30 and 11:00 but as I said, we were a little later this time, maybe 11:15? But, seriously, it went very quickly and we were on the ship by noon. On debarkation, again, seemed like an awful lot of people waiting for shuttles and some confusion. We walked right to the car and were on our way.
I think that most of the problems I read about were with the shuttles. I am going to pre-pay so all they have to do is scan the barcode in the confirming email. We are staying at Marriott Residence Inn and will get there by 10:30 AM or maybe even 10:15 AM.

Good to hear your report.

How do you know that RCI has a contract with union porters?

I don't get why people with priority boarding privileges get upset that others with them without that privilege can't board together.

When I have this circumstance, I assume if I want to stick with my group, I have to board with the lesser status people in my group and not enjoy my privilege (or board myself and meet up with them later).

I can't take friends with me thru the 1st class or TSA Precheck line at airport, why should I be able to bring non-status guests with me to my priority boarding line.

We got to the long line of shuttles going into the terminal at approximately 12:00ish. Then we had to wait in the shuttle while the few operating bays took one shuttle at a time. I know that RCI has a contract with the union because the shuttle driver told us and said it's an ongoing problem. We eventually got to the ship probably close to 1:30ish and it was a breeze checking in. Went straight to cabin and then Windjammer for lunch. Lovely cruise considering I only booked it late Wednesday night. We only live a short distance from the Port though, got a great deal. Next time, I think we will get a cab from the house. It's not the Radisson shuttle fault we had to wait and they did a good job.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't get why people with priority boarding privileges get upset that others with them without that privilege can't board together.

When I have this circumstance, I assume if I want to stick with my group, I have to board with the lesser status people in my group and not enjoy my privilege (or board myself and meet up with them later).

I can't take friends with me thru the 1st class or TSA Precheck line at airport, why should I be able to bring non-status guests with me to my priority boarding line.

RCCI has a contract with the Port Authority, to have X number of passengers go through the terminal.

The Port Authority has a contract with the union Porters.

Thus this is an issue between the Port Authority and the Porters.

The shuttle driver was in essence just expressing his opinion.

We got to the long line of shuttles going into the terminal at approximately 12:00ish. Then we had to wait in the shuttle while the few operating bays took one shuttle at a time. I know that RCI has a contract with the union because the shuttle driver told us and said it's an ongoing problem. We eventually got to the ship probably close to 1:30ish and it was a breeze checking in. Went straight to cabin and then Windjammer for lunch. Lovely cruise considering I only booked it late Wednesday night. We only live a short distance from the Port though, got a great deal. Next time, I think we will get a cab from the house. It's not the Radisson shuttle fault we had to wait and they did a good job.