How does the jitney work?

alleah913

Hello! I know this is going to sound dumb on my part but i'm so clueless. Are Jitneys like metro bus? Is there a designated jitney stop to get on and off this vehicle? I understand that it cost $1 each way, but how do you tell the driver if you need to get off? I'm trying to go to Breezes on our own and then to Atlantis, will I get to my destinations riding the "jitney"? I also read somewhere that I should take #10 jitney and not 10A,Is this true? I want to do my excursion on my own but clueless when it comes to riding public transportation. Any help are greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing!!

allehea:

JITNEYS: The JITNEY bus is the island's 24-hour public transportation service that allows you to enjoy Nassau without the fuss of searching for a parking place, putting many points of interest on the island at your disposal. The bus fare is $1.00 per person, which can take you to locations throughout the island and downtown Nassau for great shopping and... don't forget to visit the Straw Market across from our resort and also downtown, which is the island's largest market to shop. Because you are clueless with public transportation must mean you ar enot comfortable. Take a taxi instead- unless you know exactly what you are doing with the public transportation.

I went through the net and cant find anything other then the buses are offered.

Where to catch the bus-how to catch it. does it take US $1.00 Maybe you can write to the tourism place and get information.

I dont think I would do it if I did not feel comfortable.

Hello! I know this is going to sound dumb on my part but i'm so clueless. Are Jitneys like metro bus? Is there a designated jitney stop to get on and off this vehicle? I understand that it cost $1 each way, but how do you tell the driver if you need to get off? I'm trying to go to Breezes on our own and then to Atlantis, will I get to my destinations riding the "jitney"? I also read somewhere that I should take #10 jitney and not 10A,Is this true? I want to do my excursion on my own but clueless when it comes to riding public transportation. Any help are greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing!!

First off, you don't sound dumb.... you only sound dumb if you don't ask the question!!!... Now, although I am not really sure if the #10 goes to Atlantis, I know for a fact that it will take you to Cable Beach, the Wyndham Crystal Palace Hotel.

When you get off the ship, there will be plently of people there that you can ask which bus takes you to Atlantis. Also, I would absolutely, positively recommend taking the jitney (bus).... It's a great, fun and sometimes even amusing trip(we rode it a couple of times with goats & chickens!!). It's also a really cheap way of getting a brief tour of the Island.

More tips.... have the exact change...the driver doesn't make change and when you get on the bus, just tell the driver where you are going and he will yell back to you when he gets there....

Enjoy.......

Elaine :)

First off, the jitneys are not 24 hours.. they are independent, and run from 6am to around 7pm. Occasionally, you'll find a driver who will drive a route at nite, but this is not always a safe bet. This usually happens on weekends, and they are more of a joy ride with friends than a transportation option.

The #10 jitney will take you to the Cable Beach Area (#10a will also go to Cable Beach, but is a longer, roundabout way). To ASSURE that you get the #10 bus, walk to the stop in front of the McDonalds across from the British Colonial Hilton (this is just a block or two from the straw market). Enter the bus, and ask the driver to drop you at Breezes . As you approach (you can see the sign for breezes and Kafe Kalik) just say STOP... the driver will stop and allow you to get off.

You pay the driver when you LEAVE the bus. They do not make change ($1pp).

To return, just hail the bus from in front of the hotel. Either #10 or 10A will do.. since they both head directly back to downtown Nassau.

THERE ARE NO JITNEYS THAT GO TO ATLANTIS. The closest jitney from downtown will drop you off at the foot of the bridge.. this is a long, hot walk over the bridge. You are better off taking the ferryboat or Cab from the dock. Ferryboats are $3 pp and run from 9am - 6pm daily. Cab is $4 pp to Paradise Island, $8 min.to return (based on 2ppl.)

Having been to Nassau a couple times before, we opted for a new experience by jumping on the #10 Jitney ($1.00 each way, payable when exiting) to Cable Beach. The drivers are really friendly. Greet them with a hearty "Good Morning" as you board. You can catch the #10 near the British Colonial Hilton (a few blocks to your right after you leave the pier). The trip took about 20 minutes. Complete details: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/easterncaribbean.html

OK this might be a funny question, but can you just ride it until you get back to where you started? If we didn't want to get off just look around the island?

Yes... if you want to see more of the island,.. I suggest the 10a.. the 10 goes directly to the Cable Beach Hotels and back again. 10A goes into the local areas to pick up locals/workers along the way.

You can pick it up downtown at the bus stop (you can't miss it).. just look for the big 10a on the bus.

Thank you for all for the wonderful tips! Only a few more days before we sail and I will definitely take this jitney for the experience of it.

ata1976- I think we'll ride the jitney first to check out the island too. Ship will be docking at 8 am and will not leave until midnight.

• 1 month later...

Archived