Underwater Camera Recommendation?

Slumdog Millionaire

We have been reading countless reviews and have pretty much decided that we are going to rent a GoPro for our cruise. We will be surface snorkeling so we won't be going very deep.

With shipping and insurance, it looks like a GoPro Hero3+ will cost us about $100 for our time frame. I am not familiar with GoPro cameras at all. Here's my stupid question of the day - does it only do video, or does it take stills as well? I know I will need a memory card, but I cannot tell if there is anything else I will need. This is the list of what comes with the rental:

• (1) HD HERO3+ Camera
  • (1) 131' Waterproof Housing
  • (1) WiFi Remote
  • (1) WiFi Remote Key (No ring)
  • (1) Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
  • (1) Quick Release Buckle
  • (1) Curved Adhesive Mount
  • (1) Flat Adhesive Mount
  • (1) USB Charging Cable
  • (1) Remote Charging Cable

We have been reading countless reviews and have pretty much decided that we are going to rent a GoPro for our cruise. We will be surface snorkeling so we won't be going very deep.

With shipping and insurance, it looks like a GoPro Hero3+ will cost us about $100 for our time frame. I am not familiar with GoPro cameras at all. Here's my stupid question of the day - does it only do video, or does it take stills as well? I know I will need a memory card, but I cannot tell if there is anything else I will need. This is the list of what comes with the rental:

• (1) HD HERO3+ Camera
  • (1) WiFi Remote
  • (1) USB Charging Cable

The GoPro shoots still images as well as video. You might want to pick up a floating handle. You need a handle anyway and a floating handle will keep the camera on the service if you drop it while snorkeling. I've included a couple links below - there are several brands.

You'll need a MicroSD card before you go. It's worth a couple bucks more to get a faster card, like a Lexar High-Performance MicroSDHC 633x 32GB UHS-I/U3 Flash Memory Card. I'll include a link for that as well. If you plan to shoot a lot of pix, grab a couple extra batteries as well. Smatree and Wasabe both sell batteries for the GoPro 3 for MUCH cheaper than GoPro does. Be sure to get the battery for the GoPro 3 and not the GoPro 4, by the way.

I encourage you to practice with the camera before you go on your trip. That way you can figure out what settings you want to use and get familiar with shooting it before you really need to know that information.

Love the GoPro! I've become a video maniac since getting mine!

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Bobber-CamKix-Floating-Adjustable/dp/B00K7SZN1Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1422391840&sr=8-5&keywords=gopro+floating+hand+grip

http://www.amazon.com/Grenade-Grip-Compact-GoPro%C2%AE-Cameras/dp/B006XE4SIW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1422391840&sr=8-10&keywords=gopro+floating+hand+grip

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-High-Performance-MicroSDHC-Memory-LSDMI32GBBNL633R/dp/B00IF4OC8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422392124&sr=8-2&keywords=lexar+64gb+sdxc+633x+lsdmi64gbbnl633r

Edited by websiteauthor

• (1) HD HERO3+ Camera
  • (1) WiFi Remote
  • (1) USB Charging Cable

What edition is that camera? White, Silver, Black? That makes a big difference between just buying and renting. The White sells for $199 and I think it comes with everything listed except the Wifi Remote which IMO isn't a big loss. Not sure about the quick release buckle.

For what a lot of people would do with the camera, the White Edition would be sufficient. It shoots 1080p at 30 fps. That is what you watch TV on. Unless you have a 4k TV or want to do a lot of post production work, the White would be sufficient.

It wouldn't make any sense to buy an extra battery and a lot of other accessories other than a micro SD card if you are just renting the camera. A pole or float mount would be a good idea though. I would suggest getting the largest micro SD card you can afford though. At least 32GB.

What edition is that camera? White, Silver, Black? That makes a big difference between just buying and renting. The White sells for $199 and I think it comes with everything listed except the Wifi Remote which IMO isn't a big loss. Not sure about the quick release buckle.

For what a lot of people would do with the camera, the White Edition would be sufficient. It shoots 1080p at 30 fps. That is what you watch TV on. Unless you have a 4k TV or want to do a lot of post production work, the White would be sufficient.

It wouldn't make any sense to buy an extra battery and a lot of other accessories other than a micro SD card if you are just renting the camera. A pole or float mount would be a good idea though. I would suggest getting the largest micro SD card you can afford though. At least 32GB.

The new basic HERO costs $130 to buy and it comes with the waterproof case. Unfortunately, its still pictures are only 5MP. The White is $199 also shoots 5MP photos, which is really poor. Given that the OP said she wanted to use it to shoot pictures, I think these cameras wouldn't meet her needs.

The 3+ doesn't recognize cards larger than 32GB. Unless she's getting a HERO 4, she shouldn't go larger than 32GB.

I agree with your basic concept tho - I'd rather see someone spend a little more and buy a camera over renting one. But, if she won't use it after the cruise, renting works and she's getting a better camera.

The 3+ SHOOTS 12MP photos and does 1080P at 60fps. That more than meets the needs she described.

I also disagree with you about the battery. It costs $25 to get a couple extra batteries AND a charger. It costs a lot more to run out of juice in the middle of the day and miss out on photos. At the end of the cruise she could put the batteries, charger, media card, floaty handle and whatever else she buys on Ebay and get most of it back if she wanted.

A pole would be really cool - I suggested the floaty handle because she said she was going surface snorkeling. Those poles are awesome for selfies though. Whatever she goes with, a handle of some kind is a MUST . . . trying to shoot without one is almost certain to fail.

Edited by websiteauthor

The new basic HERO costs $130 to buy and it comes with the waterproof case. Unfortunately, its still pictures are only 5MP. The White is $199 also shoots 5MP photos, which is really poor. Given that the OP said she wanted to use it to shoot pictures, I think these cameras wouldn't meet her needs.

The 3+ doesn't recognize cards larger than 32GB. Unless she's getting a HERO 4, she shouldn't go larger than 32GB.

Are you sure that the 3+ doesn't recognized larger than 32GB? According to the GoPro site, it will work up to 64. The Hero 2 only recongnized up to 32. Once they went to the 3 it accepted up to 64, along with the 3+.

I agree with your basic concept tho - I'd rather see someone spend a little more and buy a camera over renting one. But, if she won't use it after the cruise, renting works and she's getting a better camera.

The 3+ SHOOTS 12MP photos and does 1080P at 60fps. That more than meets the needs she described.

I also disagree with you about the battery. It costs $25 to get a couple extra batteries AND a charger. It costs a lot more to run out of juice in the middle of the day and miss out on photos. At the end of the cruise she could put the batteries, charger, media card, floaty handle and whatever else she buys on Ebay and get most of it back if she wanted.

That is quite possible, though according to GoPro, with Wifi off their battery should last up to two hours in the 3+. I am not sure I have ever seen that kind of battery life on our 3+ though. For us, snorkel usually only lasts 45 minutes to an hour. More than that wears us out. We did opt for a second battery for our GoPro though, but we rarely change it in the field.

A pole would be really cool - I suggested the floaty handle because she said she was going surface snorkeling. Those poles are awesome for selfies though. Whatever she goes with, a handle of some kind is a MUST . . . trying to shoot without one is almost certain to fail.

The pole can be great for surface snorkeling. Especially if you are not good at diving. You can use the pole to extend the reach and get closes ups to fish and coral without needing to dive to do so.

I do agree that some kind of hand mount/handle is necessary. Something is better than nothing.

I've watched a bunch of youtube videos on the various cameras and have seen several references to a 32GB limitation for the 3/3+ from some well established videoers . . . that would certainly bear investigation though. I'm all about having plenty of storage capacity if the 64GB would work. I run 64GBs in my Hero 4, with 32GB cards as backup.

The battery would definitely last through the snorkeling, but I'm assuming the camera would be used all day long and not just while swimming. Like I say, extra batteries are cheap insurance. My batteries on the Hero 4 rarely go much beyond 1.5 hours and now that I'm using an LCD backpack that's gonna drop.

I'm thinking of getting an extension pole for my wife to use on our trip in May - even a 19" extension is a help, and it's super easy to carry. The key for the OP to understand is that some form of handle is essential with the gopro, whether it's a floaty (cheap, simple, good for water) or the pole (gives a greater reach, great for selfies, need to get a waterproof pole that may cost more).

I went ahead and rented the GoPro Hero3+ and the 3-way 3-in-1 mount, and then bought an extra battery (which I can re-sell) and SD card (which I can use in my camera or computer). We should be in good shape to have fun and capture some memories. At least we'll know better if we want to buy an underwater camera at some point later in the future.

I appreciate all the feedback and I'll make it a point to come back and post an update after our trip.

I went ahead and rented the GoPro Hero3+ and the 3-way 3-in-1 mount, and then bought an extra battery (which I can re-sell) and SD card (which I can use in my camera or computer). We should be in good shape to have fun and capture some memories. At least we'll know better if we want to buy an underwater camera at some point later in the future.

I appreciate all the feedback and I'll make it a point to come back and post an update after our trip.

Very cool - you'll have fun with it!

How far underwater do you want, and at what level do you consider the cost excessive?

Our set up would cost you about $300 (it cost us quite a bit more, but the camera price has gone down significantly), so quite inexpensive for a good underwater set up- we know people who have spent many thousands on theirs. We use a Canon S110 and a Polaroid Housing. This allows us to take it up to 40 meters. The camera shoots in RAW which lets us color correct the photos more easily. There is also a flash diffuser, so we can use the flash underwater and we don't HAVE to buy strobes yet, which really up the price.

Being able to shoot in RAW was extremely important to us when looking for a camera

Where did you buy your Polaroid housing for the S110? We have an S110, but also still have our older S95. I was thinking of maybe using the S95 with a housing in case water did happen to get in it...at least it wouldn't be the new one. Of course, I'd rather sell it but no one has been wanting to buy..lol.

We just purchased a refurbished Nikon Coolpix AW 120 for approx $160 on Amazon for our first snorkeling excursion next month- reviews were pretty good. I'm excited to use it! Any input on this camera is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using dicapack camera cases for years with great results. It is a tough bag that fits around the camera with zip and velcro enclosures that make for a watertight seal. Much cheaper than buying the hard side enclosures and they are designed to fit different types of cameras.

It's great for snorkeling or fooling around in the pool. I would not take it diving. Never had a problem in any of the cases I have bought. Getting used to the camera in the case takes a bit of practice so I would recommend that you try it out in a pool before using it on an excursion.

Just google dicapack for more information.

They also do smartphone cases

We are Cannon fans. We have two D10's and a D20. One of the D10's screens quit working but still takes good photos. For the record, I bought that one used. No issue with the one I bought from Cannon or the D20.

The D20 is now $159 for a referb on the Cannon website

• 2 weeks later...