Santiago Sheraton

lindaa

Has anyone recently stayed at the Santiago Sheraton? This is the hotel that HAL booked us in for a night before transferring to the ship in Valparaiso. It doesn't seem to have very good reviews on Trip Advisor but I cannot imagine HAL would use a bad hotel. Perhaps they give HAL folks the remodeled rooms? Just wondering what have been folks experiences there this season.. Thanks.

We stayed there in January 2014. We were in one of the older rooms. It was small but fine for sleeping. The lobby had a great bar and the outside area was gorgeous. We spent very little time in our room. Location is great. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed there Dec. 21st, and it was fine. We found the food service a bit slow, but the food was good. The hotel is not in a location that lends itself to touring about on foot. The room was perfectly fine; our room had a lovely view of the mountains (and the highway, oh well). The buffet breakfast was a bit strange. It was served outdoors in a wonderful resort type setting near the pool. However, it was cold that day and the propane heaters stationed here and there were not able to ward off the chill. It was supposed to be warm in Santiago then!

Do it; you won't be disappointed.

I stayed there in January 2014 and it was wonderful. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the rooms and the service is top class. The breakfast buffet is one of the best that I have seen anywhere. The array of fresh fruit alone is simply superb. The views from the rooms are stunning and don't let comments about the highway detract in any way. The Hop On Hop Off bus stops right outside the hotel and takes you to all the best sights in the city. You will have a marvellous time!

We are going to be there later this month for our cruise on the Zaandam and was wondering at what time do they leave to take you to Valparaiso? I've heard its a couple of hours to the port so I figured it might be a noonish departure? Do they swing by the Airport first or is that a another set of buses?

TIA,

We were there a couple of years back now, but it was just fine. The beds were a bit worn but the service and food was excellent. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. As mentioned, the breakfast buffet was top notch and quite innovative. Food service is at the more leisurely European pace.

Edited by 0bnxshs

The departure to Valparaiso is in mid-morning. There will be lots of buses/vans taking people, and you will be assigned a bus number. It does take a couple of hours. The bus had a guide who talked about the area. We had one brief stop on the way. When we got to the port, we were guided right into checkin lines and then boarded the ship.